End of an era?

Gundy is a free agent , we have no control over what he does
You’re right, but if he does not resign soon, then the club will push to keep Bernardo. I don’t see us going into the new season with KDB injured and both Gundo and Bernardo gone.

I know the policy is to let players who want to leave go, but Bernardo is under contract and the club can play hard ball with the price we want for him.

It’s not the end of an era, this is only the end of the beginning!

Not the end of an era: we have evolved over Pep’s time at City and are now quite possibly the finest English club side ever.

The current squad has a good spread in player ages.

Some players will go but the club has proved masterful at bringing in suitable new recruits.

Will next season be any more difficult than this? Maybe, maybe not but City are very likely to remain the best team in the world so lots of reasons to be optimisitc.,

I think next season is going to be very difficult.

Liverpool and Arsenal are likely to be very strong from the start. Maybe united if they get their investment and maybe Newcastle too. So whether it's the leagues or the cups we'll not have it easy. (also don't forget PIGMOL who'll want to look like English football is competitive and don't forget the media unslaught that we'll have to fight when they get a sniff of red delight)

I don't think Haaland can be any better than he already is. In fact I think there's a danger that if he becomes a more rounded player he's only passing the scoring responsibility to others who may not be as clinical. I hope he just keeps on doing what he's very good at.

I think our season was very much influenced by Gundogan and KDB. Losing either is one thing but losing both at the same time is a huge hole. I just hope that KDB gets back to full fitness soon. I also hope that Pep has 2 or 3 players in mind to take over from Gundogan and KDB in the long run (Foden probably being one, Grealish perhaps being another). Gundogan and KDB are like "Get Out Of Jail Cards" in terms of goals from midfield. Who is up to doing this on a regular basis and in the most pressurized situations?

Bernardo is a unique player who is as good as 2 players in terms of attacking, defending and being everywhere. I don't know if anyone in the world exists who can come in and do this. Mahrez's and Walker are world class in their ways too and will be difficult to replace. All 3 are a loss but not as much as Gundogan+KDB (if he's injured longterm).

All in all it seems to me that we can't replace like for like because the players we are losing are the best at what they do by some distance. I hope we bring in players who we can marvel at in a year or two as being the absolute best at the things that win us game after game after game. So I'd imagine that Pep will change our shape and tactics and we'll play quite differnt in 2024 than we did in 2023. If we end up with silverwear at the end of the season it'll be a phenomenal achievement.
Gvardiol makes City even harder to beat at the back, those players will be like mountains along the back line

It's looking like a back 3 most times if we lose Gundo & Kev won't be playing the same minutes

Kovacic strengthens the middle & gives us energy

Time for Phil to move in the middle

City 100% are the team to beat simples

I think next season is going to be very difficult.

Liverpool and Arsenal are likely to be very strong from the start. Maybe united if they get their investment and maybe Newcastle too. So whether it's the leagues or the cups we'll not have it easy. (also don't forget PIGMOL who'll want to look like English football is competitive and don't forget the media unslaught that we'll have to fight when they get a sniff of red delight)

I don't think Haaland can be any better than he already is. In fact I think there's a danger that if he becomes a more rounded player he's only passing the scoring responsibility to others who may not be as clinical. I hope he just keeps on doing what he's very good at.

I think our season was very much influenced by Gundogan and KDB. Losing either is one thing but losing both at the same time is a huge hole. I just hope that KDB gets back to full fitness soon. I also hope that Pep has 2 or 3 players in mind to take over from Gundogan and KDB in the long run (Foden probably being one, Grealish perhaps being another). Gundogan and KDB are like "Get Out Of Jail Cards" in terms of goals from midfield. Who is up to doing this on a regular basis and in the most pressurized situations?

Bernardo is a unique player who is as good as 2 players in terms of attacking, defending and being everywhere. I don't know if anyone in the world exists who can come in and do this. Mahrez's and Walker are world class in their ways too and will be difficult to replace. All 3 are a loss but not as much as Gundogan+KDB (if he's injured longterm).

All in all it seems to me that we can't replace like for like because the players we are losing are the best at what they do by some distance. I hope we bring in players who we can marvel at in a year or two as being the absolute best at the things that win us game after game after game. So I'd imagine that Pep will change our shape and tactics and we'll play quite differnt in 2024 than we did in 2023. If we end up with silverwear at the end of the season it'll be a phenomenal achievement.
Agree 100 per cent with this. Bernardo can't be replaced like-for-like. Pep will have to wave his magic wand again. Foden will drop back into midfield but we can't expect KDB to play every match, even when he regains fitness.
Perhaps Grealish can play 10 and Foden 8 but I think this would be a big ask for Grealish. We will need to find a creative midfielder from somewhere and they don't grow on trees.

Gvardiol makes City even harder to beat at the back, those players will be like mountains along the back line

It's looking like a back 3 most times if we lose Gundo & Kev won't be playing the same minutes

Kovacic strengthens the middle & gives us energy

Time for Phil to move in the middle

City 100% are the team to beat simples

Watching the way Foden moves tonight for England, it’s majestic. He’s not too far away from being that Inesta midfielder, I think that’s Citys best hopes right now of a KDB replacement.

I personally expect nothing more than winning the PL again next season and hopefully defending the CL. As Khaldoon said when asked about it not getting any better than this, elite clubs never stop hunting success. There will be no entertaining talk of transitional seasons or taking the foot off the gas. We go again and go hard

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.