End of an era?

This squad has at least a double in its sights imo , really believe we will the league again this upcoming season .

I think next season is going to be very difficult.

Liverpool and Arsenal are likely to be very strong from the start. Maybe united if they get their investment and maybe Newcastle too. So whether it's the leagues or the cups we'll not have it easy. (also don't forget PIGMOL who'll want to look like English football is competitive and don't forget the media unslaught that we'll have to fight when they get a sniff of red delight)

I don't think Haaland can be any better than he already is. In fact I think there's a danger that if he becomes a more rounded player he's only passing the scoring responsibility to others who may not be as clinical. I hope he just keeps on doing what he's very good at.

I think our season was very much influenced by Gundogan and KDB. Losing either is one thing but losing both at the same time is a huge hole. I just hope that KDB gets back to full fitness soon. I also hope that Pep has 2 or 3 players in mind to take over from Gundogan and KDB in the long run (Foden probably being one, Grealish perhaps being another). Gundogan and KDB are like "Get Out Of Jail Cards" in terms of goals from midfield. Who is up to doing this on a regular basis and in the most pressurized situations?

Bernardo is a unique player who is as good as 2 players in terms of attacking, defending and being everywhere. I don't know if anyone in the world exists who can come in and do this. Mahrez's and Walker are world class in their ways too and will be difficult to replace. All 3 are a loss but not as much as Gundogan+KDB (if he's injured longterm).

All in all it seems to me that we can't replace like for like because the players we are losing are the best at what they do by some distance. I hope we bring in players who we can marvel at in a year or two as being the absolute best at the things that win us game after game after game. So I'd imagine that Pep will change our shape and tactics and we'll play quite differnt in 2024 than we did in 2023. If we end up with silverwear at the end of the season it'll be a phenomenal achievement.

The Centurions played the most exciting football I have ever seen but I was warning at the start of the next season that the new season would be much more difficult because maintaining that motivation and will to win was near impossible. We responded with our first treble! I have thought every season would be more difficult than the one before .. We have aid goodbye to some true, irreplaceable legends ... and brought in new legends in the making! My instinct is that next season will be difficult, even more so if key players leave. But I suspect that if we put it to Pep, Khaldoon et al that it is the end of an era they would reply that it is also the start of a glorious new chapter in our club's history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.