Energy companies and direct debits

Information for Green customers​

Green Supplier Ltd ceased trading on 22 September 2021. As a result, we are not accepting any new complaints about the company. Shell Energy (formerly First Utility) has been appointed by Ofgem to take on Green customers. If you are unhappy with any element of the service Shell Energy offers as your new supplier, you should contact them in the first instance. If you complained to us about Green before the company ceased trading and were awaiting action, we've now provided a written update to affected consumers.

Do you think if I make the complaint about Shell they would look at it?
As per @Citizen of Legoland says, Shell are bullshitting you if they refuse to help then yes complain to the regulator.
And be dogged.
I am having a mare with Ovo at the moment and I know they think I will get fed up before them. Not a chance.
Keep records of who you speak to times, dates etc keep a note of what they say.
I can tell you who I spoke to on 4th November 2001 you cant let these bastards win.
If I do not get a response that satisfies me I am of to the Ombudsman. £1100 quid is at stake. They returned it to me, now they want most if it back !!!

Reactions: ell
Haven't paid for any Gas or Electric since about August.

I was with a company called PFP who went bust around that time, so I cancelled the direct debit and then got put onto British gas in October (although Electric and Gas were switched 3 weeks apart).

Not been able to provide new meter readings since the opening readings in October.

No idea whats going on other than I'm going to get a mahoosive bill at some stage.

Anyone get final bills from when the supplie went bust , I was in credit 100 but cancelled 3 direct debits so probably owed bg till I gave my meter readings from when got took over

Finally had our account and refund transfered to Octopus from Avro with all bills present and correct. We have now requested £250 back to account and Octopus have said that as we pay by DD are in credit and have submitted a meter reading within the last 14 days we qualify to make the request.

I mentioned to the service agent it wasnt a request but more an actual demand for the £250 from £300 to be repaid back to our account and he said that the request would be submitted to the relevant department and a decision made within 7 days. A decision?

In support of Octopus their hub works a treat and is very informative showing our consumption data both daily and weekly helping us stay in control of our usage. It also allows us to increase our D.D accordingly.

If the £250 request is not sanctioned then we shall close down the account and simply move on. There is no way we're running up a credit as we did with Avro.

Apart from keeping us in limbo for 4 months with our Avro transfer all now appears to be well and fair to say they answer the phone lines within 10 minutes and answer emails promptly which is a plus. And everytime you submit a meter reading you get to spin their wheel of fortune with big cash prizes : /

Last edited:
Finally had our energy account and refund transfered to Octopus from Avro with all bills present and correct. We have now requested £250 back to account and Octopus have said that as we pay by DD and are in credit and have submitted a meter reading within the last 14 days we qualify to make the request.

I mentioned to the service agent it wasnt a request but more an actual demand for the £250 from £300 to be repaid back to our account and he said that the request would be submitted to the relevant department and a decision made within 7 days. A decision?

In support of Octopus their hub works a treat and is very informative showing our usage data both daily and weekly helping us best stay in control of our usage. It also allows us to increase our D.D accordingly.

If the £250 request is not sanctioned then we shall close down the account and simply move on. There is no way we're running up a credit as we did with Avro.

Up to press and apart from keeping us in limbo for 4 months over our Avro account transfer all now appears to be well.
And fair to say they always answer the phone lines within 10 minutes and answer emails promptly which is a plus.
Your experience of Octopus pretty much mirrors my own, as you say the website is informative, get a statement within hours of paying the dd. Unfortunately we burnt up our Avro £160 credit since September, so have just moved into debit, I upped the dd the other day by £30, will see how that goes but I expect it will require another uplift come April. It was easy to do though, no hassle at all on their portal. Haven't had to call them yet but it's good to know they answer within reasonable times.

So do you have a smart meter? I suppose you must have if you can check daily usage, I've avoided that option so far, can't see the point in having one as the only way to save money is to turn things down, or off.

Your experience of Octopus pretty much mirrors my own, as you say the website is informative, get a statement within hours of paying the dd. Unfortunately we burnt up our Avro £160 credit since September, so have just moved into debit, I upped the dd the other day by £30, will see how that goes but I expect it will require another uplift come April. It was easy to do though, no hassle at all on their portal. Haven't had to call them yet but it's good to know they answer within reasonable times.

So do you have a smart meter? I suppose you must have if you can check daily usage, I've avoided that option so far, can't see the point in having one as the only way to save money is to turn things down, or off.
Yes mate and only just realised with their daily usage figures. They were fitted many many years back off one of the big boys and not every following company could atune into them.

The electric units are in Kw and the gas in m3 so if you want to easily track your gas costings in £ without calculating with the convertion formula then just multiply your m3 usage by 0.425. If you want to gauge daily weekly consumption without the smart meter then just take your own manual readings.

Last edited:

Similar to me. I upped my dd by £40 last month just to hopefully offset the rise.

Yes mate and only just realised with their daily usage figures. They were fitted many many years back off one of the big boys and not every following company could tune into them.

The electric units are in Kw and the gas in m3 so if you want to easily track your gas costings in £ without calculating with the convertion formula then just multiply your m3 usage by 0.425. If you want to gauge daily weekly consumption without the smart meter then just take your own manual readings
Thanks I'll give that a go, although as said, the only way to save the £s reducing the usage. I've not turned our heating off for over 2 years now, just turned it up or down as and when. Might have to reconsider this approach once the increase in costs kicks in.

Gas today has been 3.5 units so about £1.50. We tend to put the gas on in bursts of an hour and close doors to each room to retain heat. It seems to last quite a while before we need to flash it on up again, but are now as attuned as ever toward the spiralling costs heading our way. We are also lucky that we don't have any pan lids living with us so no problems with the lights being left on.

Thanks I'll give that a go, although as said, the only way to save the £s reducing the usage. I've not turned our heating off for over 2 years now, just turned it up or down as and when. Might have to reconsider this approach once the increase in costs kicks in.
So as an idea were paying 0.04p gas and 0.19p electric right now with the price cap set at 0.0407 and 0.208

Aprils cap in numbers will be gas 0.0737 and eleccie 0.2834 so Octopus I expect to be slightly below this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.