England Squad - Euro 2024

Who is getting picked over him exactly?!

He plays with Bellingham and Rice and Rashford has often played with him as well. Their caps reflect the length of time they've been in the England setup. Rashford made his debut over 4 years before Foden and isn't in this squad. Rice made his debut 18 months earlier and Bellingham's debut was a couple of months later. So actually they're pretty reflective of where they should be.

Bellingham is way ahead of Foden in the pecking order as is Rice, Rashford was picked for his fist cap when he was 18 and Foden picked when he was 20 as was Rice.

Bellingham was 17 years and 4 months when he got his first cap.

Phil should be the first one on the team sheet and the waistcoat tries his best excusing his bias explaining why he can't fit him in.

Bellingham is way ahead of Foden in the pecking order as is Rice, Rashford was picked for his fist cap when he was 18 and Foden picked when he was 20 as was Rice.

Phil should be the first one on the team sheet and the waistcoat tries his best excusing his bias explaining why he can't fit him in.

That's a different point entirely. I agree 100% that the team should be built around Phil and not Bellingham as it appears to be. The number of caps isn't the argument though, Foden played more of a role in 19/20 but was still emerging and then got his call up in September 2020 as he started to play more regularly for City - and in wide areas not the middle which has only been a feature of this season. Bellingham had moved to Dortmund and put in some good performances so made the November squad in 2020 as well - and we were lacking in options in the middle of the park. Bellingham impressed, has continued to improve at Dortmund and then had a good season with Real so he's making the 11. Like him or not, he's still one of England's best players.

Rice has always warranted his place in the side, we lack options in a defensive capacity in midfield so he has to play.

We'll see Foden on the left and allowed to "drift" which is wrong, but can still be effective. He played that role plenty of times this season for us.

That's a different point entirely. I agree 100% that the team should be built around Phil and not Bellingham as it appears to be. The number of caps isn't the argument though, Foden played more of a role in 19/20 but was still emerging and then got his call up in September 2020 as he started to play more regularly for City - and in wide areas not the middle which has only been a feature of this season. Bellingham had moved to Dortmund and put in some good performances so made the November squad in 2020 as well - and we were lacking in options in the middle of the park. Bellingham impressed, has continued to improve at Dortmund and then had a good season with Real so he's making the 11. Like him or not, he's still one of England's best players.

Rice has always warranted his place in the side, we lack options in a defensive capacity in midfield so he has to play.

We'll see Foden on the left and allowed to "drift" which is wrong, but can still be effective. He played that role plenty of times this season for us.

I am not slagging the players off mate just Southgates excuse not to play Phil in the position he has installed Bellingham in. Rice is a superb player I wish we had have gotten him.

Phil has 3 years on Bellingham yet frustratingly Southgate has refused to give him a slot in the middle because it's not where Pep always plays him, but I suppose it's an excuse of sorts.

I am not slagging the players off mate just Southgates excuse not to play Phil in the position he has installed Bellingham in. Rice is a superb player I wish we had have gotten him.

Phil has 3 years on Bellingham yet frustratingly Southgate has refused to give him a slot in the middle because it's not where Pep always plays him, but I suppose it's an excuse of sorts.

We ultimately agree mate. The best managers ignore where people play for their clubs and pick the best tactics to win games and the players that suit a system. Argentina getting a team of work horses to give Messi freedom. France getting Griezmann a free role to run the game.

Who cares if Foden is a left wing or right wing at City. He had De Bruyne, Bernardo, Gundo to play with. He is England's best player, you get him on the ball as much as you can.

sad to say Ive no interest on the national scene anymore
It's been over for a while.

With Palmer Trafford and Foden in the initial panel, its a good sign of our youth policy.

If he doesn’t go with Foden in the team, you will once again come up short. And have no one to blame but waistaspace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.