England Thread - 2023/24

I and many others thought Phil Foden had a good game. Bellingham played well too. The difference in coverage, specifically post match interviews completely airbrushed Foden's contribution from the game. Bellingham is cocksure of himself but has shown that ability to back that up on the pitch.

Southgate's unnecessary and public humiliation of Foden shows up the sub championship manager's person skills. Sideways to safety.

Anyway this pointless game could have been used to look at back ups at forward, wingers, midfield and in defence, rather than the same old favourites. We'll waste a fantastically technically gifted group of players with wastecoat in charge.

So many make out Southgate should be winning everything.

Simple fact is knockout competitions offer no guarantees no matter what manager you have , what squad is selected and what formation you personally think would win every single game.

Fair few on here make out every other nation are walkovers.
France haven’t lost a game in 90mins over four tournaments now.
Belgium had a ‘golden generation’ ranked No.1 in the World.
Italy were unbeaten in 30+ matches when we met them, but apparently that was a ‘poor’ Italian side who we should be beating easily.
Swap managers in the Euro final and England would have won

So many make out Southgate should be winning everything.

Simple fact is knockout competitions offer no guarantees no matter what manager you have , what squad is selected and what formation you personally think would win every single game.

Fair few on here make out every other nation are walkovers.
France haven’t lost a game in 90mins over four tournaments now.
Belgium had a ‘golden generation’ ranked No.1 in the World.
Italy were unbeaten in 30+ matches when we met them, but apparently that was a ‘poor’ Italian side who we should be beating easily.
Agree that that there are no guarantees in knock-out football, however we currently have a Manager who is too scared to try to win a game. When we don't look like winning he is unable to change things tactically to make a difference.

To your other points.

France lost to Tunisa in 90mins at last year's world cup.
Belgium's golden generation was managed by idiots.
During Italy's 37 match unbeaten run they arguably played only 3 decent teams. All in the Euro's. Belgium as stated above managed by an idiot, a Spain team in transition that they beat on pens, and England who are managed by an idiot.

Your determined to die on this hill aren’t you.

England have National league, World Cup qualifiers & European qualifiers so aren’t just judged on 2 week tournaments.

So back to the point. You said people expect him to win everything, we don’t. It’s not just on here, near enough all experts are questioning Southgate with his embarrassment of riches not fulfilling the potential.

A good coach is not someone who wins everything but the one who gets the maximum out of the players at his disposal.

It's just an interesting debate

I think club tribal mentality blinds so many fans and they can't be balanced when it comes to England because of that.

I have seen many signs of progress under GS and have enjoyed his tenure for us, we've had a crop of really good young players playing with more unity, spirit and togetherness than I can ever remember and I personally couldn't care less if they play for a rival team or not. Has it been all rosy? no. we often come unstuck in latter stages of competitions but surely that's the nature of football seen as there can only be one winner.

I know I'm in a minority of this one and accept that. GS has done a great job and doesn't deserve nowhere near the abuse he gets albeit it's the nature of the role nowadays.

It's just an interesting debate

I think club tribal mentality blinds so many fans and they can't be balanced when it comes to England because of that.

I have seen many signs of progress under GS and have enjoyed his tenure for us, we've had a crop of really good young players playing with more unity, spirit and togetherness than I can ever remember and I personally couldn't care less if they play for a rival team or not. Has it been all rosy? no. we often come unstuck in latter stages of competitions but surely that's the nature of football seen as there can only be one winner.

I know I'm in a minority of this one and accept that. GS has done a great job and doesn't deserve nowhere near the abuse he gets albeit it's the nature of the role nowadays.

I don’t think Phillips should have played last night which sort of dents your theory.

I haven’t seen the progress, I felt Southgate was brave when he started, fortunate with the draw at his first World Cup. He nearly had the “Steven bradbury” moment.

The togetherness is professionalism. Im far from convinced it’s happy camp but if you speak out you can kiss your international career goodbye. The incredible improvement is how they’ve managed the media, that’s been top notch.

I dont think you are. Look at Greizmann goal record, he scored 94 goals in 180 La Liga games over a 5 year period for Atletico Madrid. He elevated Athletico Madrid beyong the normal and won La Liga's with them against Real Madrid and Barcelona, and took them to two Champions League finals. He combined with Mbappe to win the World Cup. Why is Foden his equal? Foden a country mile to go before he gets to Greizmann's level. Thats if he ever does

Didnt Stones let Manzukic in during the semifinal? Why is Stones considered above Varane? Because of the past 12 months? Did you not see Varane's accomplishments in La Liga. Let me guess, you regularly use the phrase 'done it in the Prem'

The French boys did. They won the World Cup in 2018 and almost won it again in 2022. Yet we think were better than them? We are so fuking arrogant. The rest of the world are on point when it comes to English capacity for self delusion.

Also just for clarfication Griezmann never won La Liga

I and many others thought Phil Foden had a good game. Bellingham played well too. The difference in coverage, specifically post match interviews completely airbrushed Foden's contribution from the game. Bellingham is cocksure of himself but has shown that ability to back that up on the pitch.

Southgate's unnecessary and public humiliation of Foden shows up the sub championship manager's person skills. Sideways to safety.

Anyway this pointless game could have been used to look at back ups at forward, wingers, midfield and in defence, rather than the same old favourites. We'll waste a fantastically technically gifted group of players with wastecoat in charge.

To cut a long story short :-)

Southgate is a talentless boring ****.

Of course Foden is better than Greizmann now. But peak Griezmann was elite, top tier stuff, the best French attacking midfielder since Zidane.

As for Stones v Varane. Your right, Stones is miles ahead at present. But when France won the World Cup, Varane was at this apex at Real Madrid.

Until our lads can actually do it. We have no business assuming we are better than France. We also dont have a player like Mbappe. Infact we have never had a Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho type player. A player who could generally lay claim to be the worlds best.
When Greizmann was the same age Foden is now, he'd just moved from Sociedad to Atletico and he'd won fuck all. Foden has won 5 Premier Leagues, 4 League Cups, 2 FA Cups and a Champions League. Foden is already elite, top tier stuff and will get better.

Past glories count for nothing, as of now player for player, England are on a par with France, there's not much to separate them as shown in the World Cup game.

You don't need the world's best player to win a world cup.

Germany, Spain, Italy have won World Cups with quality players without laying claim to having the world's best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.