England v France - Sat 10th Dec, 19:00 | Quarter-final | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we are getting carried away in this country as per.
Iran, USA, Wales and Senegal not exactly overly difficult.
I cannot see further than a France Brazil final sadly , however I hope we win.

Well you sound like a bundle of fun.

Nobody is getting "carried away". But England's attack is up there with anyone's. That's not open to debate. And when you can bring on the likes of Sterling, Rashford, Grealish and Maddison, you're surely in with a chance to win it with that bit of luck you always need. Obviously France, Brazil, Spain and Portugal have an equal or even better chance. I'm not going to say Argentina because they'll go out against the first good side they play where Messi doesn't play out of his skin.

Iran and Senegal only suddenly became poor sides after we hammered them both. Iran had barely lost a game for 2 years prior to the World Cup, and Senegal are African Champions, who even without Mane were supposed to provide a pretty stern test.

I think some are getting carried away, but the majority of England fans know it's a tough game hence why the chat is dominated by stopping Mbappe and less about what we can do.

I read Shearer's article on the BBC. Ridiculous. Saying when you look at the route to the final now there's nothing to fear. We've got an incredibly difficult QF and then could face Spain or Portugal before playing Brazil/Argentina/Croatia/Netherlands in the final. It couldn't be harder really. If today's games go as planned then you've got top quality teams all the way through and anyone who wins it will have earnt it and some!

Wio is talking about how this French side are missing some key players, and they are. That's the only reason we have a chance. If they had Kante, Pogba, Benzema, Kimpembe, Nkunku then we wouldn't stand a chance. With the squad we have, our first 11 probably edges theirs and our bench is stronger I'd say. But they've won it before and there are no signs of the usual French infighting which can derail them. They play with freedom and back themselves to outscore anybody even if they're defensively weak. I think we'll end up having to go toe to toe with them and hope we score more than they do. I can't see us stopping them from scoring.
Attacking wise (England) no problem but Maguire is still a liability, Stones has his shaky moments and Walker is just a few weeks from having an op. Our defence despite only conceding 2 goals isn't great.
We have a chance absolutely but France are a much better side.

I think some are getting carried away, but the majority of England fans know it's a tough game hence why the chat is dominated by stopping Mbappe and less about what we can do.

I read Shearer's article on the BBC. Ridiculous. Saying when you look at the route to the final now there's nothing to fear. We've got an incredibly difficult QF and then could face Spain or Portugal before playing Brazil/Argentina/Croatia/Netherlands in the final. It couldn't be harder really. If today's games go as planned then you've got top quality teams all the way through and anyone who wins it will have earnt it and some!

Wio is talking about how this French side are missing some key players, and they are. That's the only reason we have a chance. If they had Kante, Pogba, Benzema, Kimpembe, Nkunku then we wouldn't stand a chance. With the squad we have, our first 11 probably edges theirs and our bench is stronger I'd say. But they've won it before and there are no signs of the usual French infighting which can derail them. They play with freedom and back themselves to outscore anybody even if they're defensively weak. I think we'll end up having to go toe to toe with them and hope we score more than they do. I can't see us stopping them from scoring.

Shearer you say ?

He's very knowledgeable .

but France are a much better side.

No, they're really not. At least 5 of our players walk into the side they have in this World Cup.

Pickford > Lloris
Walker > Kounde
Rice > Tchouameni
Foden > Dembele
Kane > Giroud

Although football is all about opinions I don't see how anybody can sensibly make a case for any of the above being wrong other than perhaps the Rice one. You could also make a strong case for Stones and Shaw also who are on the same level as their French counterparts.

Last edited:
No, they're really not. At least 5 of our players walk into the side they have in this World Cup.

Pickford > Lloris
Walker > Kounde
Rice > Tchouameni
Foden > Dembele
Kane > Giroud

Although football is all about opinions I don't see how anybody can sensibly make a case for any of the above being wrong other than perhaps the Rice one. You could also make a strong case for Stones and Shaw also who are on the same level as their French counterparts.

France have a much better team for getting the ball from back to front, imo. England will have problems moving the ball again unless there are changes, and long balls won't work so well against a French defence. Doesn't mean England can't win it, it's a one-off game, but I would be surprised in all honesty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.