England v France - Sat 10th Dec, 19:00 | Quarter-final | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cant see him changing the line up. If France press us we’re toast. If they dont we can win.
We will have to fix the defence-midfield disconnect if we’re to win this.
Id be tempted to drop Rice or Henderson for Phillips but i dont think Henderson deserves to be dropped, as limited as he is he was a driving force today and Rice has his defensive uses.

i think Mbappe is just too hot right now

Cant see him changing the line up. If France press us we’re toast. If they dont we can win.
Id be tempted to drop Rice or Henderson for Phillips but i dont think Henderson deserves to be dropped, as limited as he is he was a driving force today and Rice has his defensive uses.

This.

It's a difficult one because I think in a lot of respects that midfield 3 worked pretty well last night.

But our defence was continually frustrated when trying to play out because there were literally no options. That had them alternating between slow, ponderous passing between themselves, and trying to force a forward pass that inevitably resulted in giving the ball away.

What the England team is missing is a Modric-type, someone who is constantly available centrally who can receive the ball from the defence, turn and launch an attack.

Henderson was decent last night and got his goal, but I'd be tempted to drop him if Phillips is fit and go back to the Rice/Phillips double pivot that was used in the Euros. Add an extra body in defensive midfield to open up the passing lines from defence, an extra protection in front of the defence against a strong and fast attacking side, and someone who can ping passes forward effectively.

Then Bellingham in the 10, Kane up top, and probably Foden and Saka on the wings again.

Southgate is susceptible to doing a 'Pep' and over thinking the game plan and the opposition.

Trust your players, goals win games. Letting the likes of Giroud, Griezman and Mbappe push down on our suspect defence is a recipe for disaster.

For me the way France win is to press our defence into mistakes
I think mbappe is too lazy to do this though and just plays with the ball.
As far as French teams go this is very average - without mbappe they would be nowhere
I think it’s a 50/50 game but we can certainly win it

Really looking forward to this. Is it expecting too much that the England coaches will have a plan for taking care of Mbappe? Just asking Kyle, who looks pretty rusty, to do a job on him is a big ask. Thought Cash did a reasonable job on him yesterday but got very little help and in the end Mbappe rinsed him.

France can't press like some sides. Mbappe is lazy in his defending and we've seen that many times against City. Giroud is not going to press effectively and that leaves Dembele who is very hit and miss and Griezmann. Kante is a big miss for them and i think England have a genuine chance but will have to be near perfect.

Like you say though Mbappe is the x factor and if we give him even a sniff of a chance like we did Senegal in that first half then it'll be all over.

They're missing a lot of players and when you look at the starting 11's and squad options we're so much stronger. Griezmann, Mbappe and Giroud are excellent but only Mbappe probably gets into the England 11. Without Kante they're not as balanced. Without Pogba they're less creative. We need to stick with the back 4 because we never manage to get the ball in attacking areas with a 5. Our wing backs stay deep and don't provide the attacking threat they're supposed to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.