England v France - Sat 10th Dec, 19:00 | Quarter-final | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mbappe is brilliant, but so far he's come up against Australia, Denmark, and Poland. It's not like he's ripping apart 1970 Brazil.

France has conceded in every game and we're the top goal-scorers.

So even if Mbappe has a worldy, and scores 2 or 3... I'd still fancy England to score at least a couple and make a game of it. I just hope we don't shit ourselves and play a back 9. Let's go for it!

France will rightly be favourites but if England play well on the day they are more than capable. When you think about it we have a number of players that walk into their 11. Pickford, for England, is a better keeper than this version of Lloris. Walker gets in over Kounde on the fact that he's a natural right-back alone. Bellingham walks into their midfield. Giroud is a great player and one I think has always been under-rated but Kane at his best is a level above. You could also make a strong argument for Stones over Upamecano and Shaw over Hernandez, the England version of him at least. And is this not far off 32 years old version of Griezmann better than Foden?

Ultimately without Kante, Benzema and to a lesser extent Pogba, the teams are much more evenly matched than some would try to have you believe. Also, while they are missing a few players it shouldn't be forgotten that we've been missing arguably our two best full-backs in James and Chilwell this tournament.

Last edited:
England are a team of talented individuals doing their best to gel. There are too many sloppy breakdowns between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack. Our best work is usually between goalkeeper and defence. After that, we have lacked proper control and our play has been very patchy.

France move like a machine. On top form, they'll slice England apart between the lines if Kalvin Phillips isn't playing. Declan Rice is the weakest link imo.

Fortunately, to date, France look a long way from top form. If England get their act together, there's a decent chance of nicking a win.

Phillips for Rice
Rashford for Kane

England 2-1 after extra time. Let's get those nerves on edge!

England are a team of talented individuals doing their best to gel. There are too many sloppy breakdowns between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack. Our best work is usually between goalkeeper and defence. After that, we have lacked proper control and our play has been very patchy.

France move like a machine. On top form, they'll slice England apart between the lines if Kalvin Phillips isn't playing. Declan Rice is the weakest link imo.

Fortunately, to date, France look a long way from top form. If England get their act together, there's a decent chance of nicking a win.

Phillips for Rice
Rashford for Kane

England 2-1 after extra time. Let's get those nerves on edge!
It's interesting how people view things differently, I see the goalkeeper/defence as a strong weakness.

Pickford holds onto the ball far too long and it's only a matter of time before somebody pounces on him. His distribution appears hasty and erratic.

The defence playing out from the back often looks nervy and not at all confident, especially Maguire. I'm not trying to get on the 'Maguire bandwagon', it's just that he looks very suspect and not fluent on the ball, certainly compared to Stones next to him.

France are far too clinical to be offered cheap chances.

I think this could be the game where Maguire gets shown up (again). Against the way France attack and the kind of goals they like to score, I just don’t think it plays to the few strengths he does have.
He’s not mobile enough, his touch and control is sub-par and his distribution is patchy at best.

ffs my missus got paul heaton jackie abbott tickets for saturday just realised im gonna miss it.

Mbappe is brilliant, but so far he's come up against Australia, Denmark, and Poland. It's not like he's ripping apart 1970 Brazil.

France has conceded in every game and we're the top goal-scorers.

So even if Mbappe has a worldy, and scores 2 or 3... I'd still fancy England to score at least a couple and make a game of it. I just hope we don't shit ourselves and play a back 9. Let's go for it!
Going for it is England's best hope, one hopes Southgate has realised the benefits of having foden in the starting 11

Could be a blood bath this with Englands defence. If Mbappe switches sides and goes from the right. No way Maguire and Shaw will cope. Theres plenty of optimism going around but not a lot of realism.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.