England v Germany | Euro 2020 Last 16

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"The country" has a history of only really getting on board when the media stirs them into action. All of a sudden, houses are decked with England flags, pubs have record breaking sales, and otherwise disinterested folk become rabid football fans.
It's collective jingoism bordering on hysteria. It's a coming together of bored people suddenly finding a joint aim. It will die down very quickly as and when our tournament is over.
Step back from that, and you see the reality... England still aren't a great side, and we don't have a great coach. We're no more than a 'plucky' side doing well against the big boys for a change. We're Denmark, Czech Republic, Sweden etc. That's our level. But thanks to the draw and others at our level, some of the big boys have gone home, leaving us with the best chance we've had of actually winning something for 55 years.
We should all enjoy it while it lasts, but let's be honest, we're not seeing great England performances.
in the immortal words of the bard... "don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining".
It’s not all of a sudden out of nowhere. It’s all of a sudden because a tournament has started.

Must be heart breaking for you seeing England do well, we were the better side tonight and well deserved to put the Germans out of the tournament.
Not at all.
I'm delighted for Stones, Sterling, Walker and Foden. It's great to see City players involved in the England team, and I was probably cheering as loud as anyone when we won.
I'm just not getting giddy. We're in the quarter finals against one of two teams who historically are either on a par, or just behind us.
As I said; enjoy the ride while it lasts, but don't try to convince me that England are any more than average.

I'm not moaning, tbh, I don't give a rats arse about England but it annoys me to see our players quite often the fall guys when things go wrong, Saka did fuck all but you think he had a good game.
I thought he looked a threat. Offered pace the other way, always available, nice touches, drawn a few fouls in dangerous positions, worked hard defensively and beat his man a few times. I think he had a good game.
So you're moaning about things that had absolutely nothing to do with tonight's game?
If you don't give a rats arse about England, why you posting in a thread about England?
Save yourself getting wound up, just don't bother watching England, if you're not arsed about them.

I'm not moaning, tbh, I don't give a rats arse about England but it annoys me to see our players quite often the fall guys when things go wrong, Saka did fuck all but you think he had a good game.
If you don't give a rat arse what the fuck are you doing on here; England were the better side tonight. Not saying Southgates a football genius but it worked tonight and we're into the next round looking forward to Saturday and further progression where strangely being English I'll be supporting England and wanting them to do well.

Just on here he gets a shit load of abuse.
He doesn’t get any abuse on here neither. He frustrates people at times and they constructively criticise him for certain things, but that’s about it.

Like today, three consecutive attacks prior to his fantastic run and goal, he gave the ball away trying to take on multiple players when he should have just passed an easy ball inside. Then after he scored he set up Muller for a golden chance. It’s the extremes of brilliant to shit that can be hard not to criticise.

But everyone’s gone fucking soft and think that criticism amounts to hate and abuse. No wonder every man and his dog are going round saying they’ve got mental health problems, they’ve got the mental resilience of toilet tissue.

Southgate will feel vindicated today, the proof is in the pudding, England beat Germany.

None of us know what missing that penalty in 96 felt like, today he exorcised that ghost as it could well have inhibited his thinking due to the psychological scaring of that miss. Maybe now he will feel liberated, the ghost has gone, he has made amends and England will play in a style we all want to see, with the attacking flair given its head.

Today was ugly, but it was a win, England look defensively sound, therefore hard to beat and that gives them a platform, the question is how willing is Southgate to use that platform and play the players who add that bit of magic like Foden, Mount and Grealish. It is a tough call because Phillips and Rice have done nothing wrong and today they did stop the German midfield dominating.

It may be boring and at times today it was painful to watch, but if England win the tournament, who will remember the win against Germany came in a shit game.

Good to see Raz get the plaudits, he had a decent game and is hopefully over his dip in form just in time for him to help is defend the title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.