England v Germany | Euro 2020 Last 16

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who are these crosses intended for? If from the right it's to a totally out of form number 9 or a below average height Sterling. If from the left its to the same out of form striker and a 10 stone inexperienced wide man who will be easily bullied off the ball.
Out of form 9 or not, he is still England's best striker, so there is merit to crossing to Kane.

Crosses can also be low on the ground or in behind for quick wingers, I expect to see Shaw/Tripper cross "ahead" from an on running Saka/Sterling more than once today.

Don't know much about Saks, but the other 2 are definitely more skilfull players. But if Southgate wants pace then Sterling has it.
He has pace and he does sometimes use it. But I doubt the German defenders will have any difficulties with a couple of players with some pace. Neither of them are rockets.

England might do a job here, but ffs we're at home with some of the best young attacking talent we've had in years, on the bench. If you were going to play this formation, it should have at least been tested out in the friendlies.
Too busy giving everyone a game in the friendlies than bother about formation.
I’d rather we went for it and put a marker down but he’s hoping for a maguire set piece 1 nil

I still don't think Pep has fully figured out how to beat it.

It's really quite simple in concept, in defense, you have a 541/5311, which just defends with more numbers and easily transitions on counter attacks.

If you want to pin the opposition back, it has a simple shift of the wide areas pushing up 343 and 352/3511.

And another huge benefit is in it's simplicity of tactics for players.

In a back 4 your fullbacks have to constantly change position when defending or attacking, wingbacks staying wide is much simpler.

Most "wingers" prefer to play in the half space rather than far out wide, and 343 fits this perfectly as well.

A back 3 also let's your CBs push forward and make passes and be creative, which suits most high level CBs.

The problem for Pep is he hasn't had the players at City to implement it himself. We've never had natural options at both left and right wing-back at the same time, and never had three central defenders who are good enough at bringing the ball out until this past season

The thing is, saying "3 at the back" gives the formation an attacking kudos that it doesn't deserve.
Generally, the 3 is mostly a back 5, depending on how good the wing backs area, and how courageous the manager is.
Now, all I'm saying is that the wing backs are not fantastic and the manager is a defensive obsessive.
So, call it what it is.... a back 5 with two holding midfielders!
Honestly don't care that much about the "naming" of it, it is semantics since we both know what we're talking about here. It has worked wonders for many teams lately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.