England v Slovenia - Tue 25th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't really use one single match where the entire attacking line-up (except for Kane, but let's be fair, he doesn't contribute much other than getting in the way and slowing attacks down) were inexperienced 'youngsters' as a barometer for his ability, can you?
He hasn't been that impressive with Newcastle either. He is just bang average who is a decent finisher and is player who likes to run fast with the ball with little footballing intellegence.

I go back to my post from May and wonder what could have been if we had a competent manager…

Agree about the midfield looking light. I think it says a lot about Southgate’s mindset that he has selected twice as many defenders than midfielders for the provisional squad (I don’t count TAA as a midfielder).

Rico should be there over Mainoo to cover fullback and midfield. That’s not my City bias talking—Lewis is the better, more versatile player that England desperately need to integrate for the future. Unfortunately, his lack of minutes this season saw him miss out.

Not sure we could convince him to commit to England (though this recent France snub might make that a bit easier), but I would take Olise over Gallagher every day of the week, as well.

I would actually like to see Stones with Branthwaite, in a Younger John / Older John tandem; opposition would struggle to get the ball and they are both excellent defenders of the counter. But Southgate is a coward and will want to go with his known clogging approach.

Would have selected Mitchell over Gomez, as well.

My ideal starting 11 from that provisional squad would be:

Out of possession
——————————— Ramsdale ———————————
———— Walker ——— Stones —— Branthwaite ——
Trippier ———————— Rice ————————— Shaw
——————— Bellingham ——— Eze —————————
————————————— Foden ————————————
————————————— Kane —————————————

In possession
——————————— Ramsdale ———————————
—————Walker ———————— Branthwaite ———
————————— Stones —— Rice ——————————
Trippier —————— Bellingham ——————— Shaw
————————— Eze <————> Foden ————————
————————————— Kane —————————————

But I know Southgate would never select that group of players for a Euro match, much less play such an attacking setup.

I just don’t get why he’s not gone back to 3 at the back. He’d have Walker and Guehi with their pace either side of Stones who can bring the ball out. It would be a way to get us right up the pitch. He could also get the best out of Arnold and have someone whipping balls in for Kane. He’d still be able to have 2 holders, preferably one of the other 2 who are far better on the ball than Jordan Gallagher. More importantly it would let Foden and Bellingham both play centrally with proper freedom to roam. On top of all that the team wouldn’t look completely unbalanced. All the div would have to do is drop Trippier.

who plays on the left wing/back ?

this is why Southgate doesn't listen to all the bollox being thrown at him about who should play and what the formation should be.
Yes he definitely didn’t play Trent in midfield cos of the media frenzy. He definitely played him there because of all those times he played great there for liverpool before klopp saw how tactically thick he is and dumped it.

As they've qualified I expect the waistcoat will play for a draw as usual.
He only knows how to play to avoid defeat, not win. How anybody can defend this imbecile after the last few games showings and his statements about experimenting in a major tournament. And not being able to replace Phillips beggars belief. One can only assume they are as stupid as he is.

Some "media" reporting Kyle told a few home truths in the players meeting and had a "bust up" with Trippier in training.

Of course could all be bollocks to create a scapegoat that "retires from international football" after the tournament.
Surely Kyle doesn't have the gall to have a go at someone for family/relationship issues?

He only knows how to play to avoid defeat, not win. How anybody can defend this imbecile after the last few games showings and his statements about experimenting in a major tournament. And not being able to replace Phillips beggars belief. One can only assume they are as stupid as he is.

Its been 2 games, we've won and drawn and now qualified out the group. oh the despair of it all !

Ok, we've not played some great amazing football, but that's the nature of International football most of the time and alot of teams win the whole thing by scraping past games at times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.