England v Switzerland - Sat 6th July, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Quarter-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spot on about rice and a few times he does actually see a pass and try it, he always yames two seconds too long, which makes the opposition see his attempt and the recipient is no longer in enough room anymore

The thing what makes Rodri so good is not his actual passing ability, which is good very anyway, but it's not like he's some KDB level of passer, it's his impeccable timing of knowing when to make the pass. Nothing is too rushed or too delayed, he knows exactly went to release it and who to, which lets the team flow.

It's actually an insult that people have tried to compare them.
Rice for England at Euro 2024 is nothing like Rice for Arsenal though. Agree he's been passing sideways/backwards far too much for England. He's not really a great passer but for Arsenal he tends to get the ball and drive forward a lot more, or he plays the simple pass to Odegard but sadly England don't have a creative midfielder at the level of Odegaard so that option's not available to him. He's a defensive 6 for England whereas more of a 6/8 hybrid for Arsenal.

No point comparing him to Rodri - firstly Rodri is the best defensive midfielder on the planet and secondly for Arsenal Rice plays a different role than Rodri does for City, for England/Spain they play similar roles but Rodri has far more dynamic options to play in to. And I repeat, Rodri is just the best player in that position in the world anyway so Rice would never get to that level regardless, whilst still being a very good player.

The irony if we go all the way just by winning penalty shootouts and in doing so not missing a single pen.

Palmer, Toney and Trent all feel like locks and Saka + Bellingham took there's confidently too. The biggest question mark I have is over Pickfords giddyness on the line and his ability to save one or two.

He actually played well today. For me one of three players who did (Foden, Saka, Mainoo).

Was he as brilliant as he regularly is for City? No.

But he also doesn’t have anywhere near the same level of team around him or a decent manager, and it was the first time playing in the setup on the tournament. It doesn’t help that many of the players around him play for themselves, not the team, which is completely different to what Phil is used to at club level, where performances like that would get you benched in a hurry.

And, once more, his teammates were largely either afraid to give him the ball in dangerous positions or, in the case of Bellingham, seemingly refused to do so for their own reasons. I lost count the number of times Phil was calling for the ball in space and was ignored. It happens with Rice, Saka, Mainoo, Bellingham, and Konsa. Only Stones, Walker, and Kane even tried. I spoke earlier in the thread about why I think that is (mostly because they haven’t played with him enough to be confident he is going to make something happen or recycle possession, rather than lose the ball, if they do). And I don’t think the way Bellingham plays in that same position helps (they have seen how bad playing a ball to him with his back to goal on the edge of the opposition box can go).

Beyond all that, he was one of the few players with any composure on the ball and was directing players as to what to do with the ball throughout the match. He was the one actually running the game, while Kane and Bellingham ambled around the box, and Rice hid away. Mainoo and Saka were the other ones consistently contributing.

I really don’t understand where the “Foden had a poor game” analysis is coming from, especially compared to his attacking partners.

I thought Foden was brilliant today but every time he got into a dangerous position he was ignored. Saka failed to find anyone with his passes but got a goal but Bellingham is a ****.
The worst thing I saw Bellingham do to prove what a selfish prick he was….He had the ball in his own half & Foden sprinted to break the lines & rather than pass to him he passed it sideways & then sprinted himself to break the lines.

Not at all, judging by his performance tonight. We’ve all moaned about Foden playing a position we know he’s not best at but has played before. Saka did similar tonight and was our best player.

That’s not a dig at Foden but any England fan having a go at Saka needs their eyes tested, he was great tonight. Kane, though, is a different matter…

I disagree about Saka but maybe I appreciate Bernardo’s intelligence of his decision making over Saka. If your going to beat the man & not find anyone with the cross it’s pointless.

F.. c.k..g great day at the game today to watch us score 5 pens well that's historical, a good few City flags there so well done to everyone concerned, just got in had to celebrate that one Germany have been good hosts, and we crack on Wednesday, top journey keep the faith we are getting better despite GS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.