England v Switzerland - Sat 6th July, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Quarter-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If France beat Spain, England will win the tournament.
I think Spain though would have too much for England

David White

It’ll all be over on Saturday. Southgate is a very limited manager with no bollocks.

Blue Maverick

Roll on Friday and give us all something to smile about before Switzerland embarrass us on Saturday

burnley blue mcfc said:
I watched the Swiss take Italy apart, they’ll more than likely do exactly the same to us

burnley blue mcfc

We won’t get the chance to compare ourselves to Spain because the Swiss will beat Us.

chris85mcfc

What a truly awful side and formation he's got out there

Astonished that you can get 3/1 about the Swiss in 90 minutes

abu13

I think we are going to get fucked today.

How have you got this much time on your hands?

If France beat Spain, England will win the tournament.
I think Spain though would have too much for England

I think France would beat England.

They're just as poor as us to watch right now, but i think they have a bit more "know how" to get over the line than England when it comes to the biggest moments.

We might be able to drag Spain into an awful game and win.

Either way, that's putting the cart before t'horse. Netherlands are no mugs and have some players playing well.

I think France would beat England.

They're just as poor as us to watch right now, but i think they have a bit more "know how" to get over the line than England when it comes to the biggest moments.

We might be able to drag Spain into an awful game and win.

Either way, that's putting the cart before t'horse. Netherlands are no mugs and have some players playing well.
Netherlands aren't a great side but as you say, they have a couple of players that can turn it on and hurt you.
I still think England will beat them, maybe on pens again

For me it was another under par performance.

I can't remember their goal keeper having to do anything of note and we once again rely on a moment of brilliance to avoid going out after going a goal down to a side that we really should be beating fairly comfortably.

Switzerland are a solid team. But they're a team that have never progressed further than the Quarter-Final of a major tournament ever so I don't think it's arrogant to suggest or expect England to win that game.

We did win (eventually) but it still feels that we're dying the slowest death possible, especially after what we've witnessed previously against both Croatia in 2018 and Italy in 2021.

The truth is that only happy clappers are happy with our 'progress' in this tournament whilst the rest of us are fuming that Gareth Southgate has had the opportunity to manage England at 4 different tournaments now and we're arguably as boring to watch as we've ever been, despite having some brilliant players going forward.

The only slither of sympathy I have for Southgate is that the team probably isn't as good as many think. We have some cracking individuals, especially in the more attacking positions but there's a clear imbalance with no left back, no proper DM or creative spark in centre mid either. Not that it'd matter as even if we did have a KDB or Odegaard type, Gareth would probably instruct him to pass sideways, no more than 10ft and don't try to be a maverick by playing balls that can actually hurt the opposition.

There's also a real lack of chemistry. Probably in part due to the ego's in the team. I get the feeling that many of the players don't particularly like each other and are just going through the motions. Phil, Bellingham, TAA, Palmer, Saka all play for different clubs with big ambition. Some have tasted success more than others and it's likely an underlying issue. Senior players like Kane probably aren't arsed and any attempts to create harmony by say someone like Kyle Walker has probably fell on deaf ears.

I imagine Gareth just says things that nobody listens to in this regard.

The record books will say Southgate got to two semi finals and a final minimum.

WC 2018 (ranking at the time)
Tunisia (14th)
Panama (55th)
Belgium (3rd)
Colombia (16th)
Sweden (23rd)
Croatia (18th)

EURO 2020
Scotland (44th)
Czech Rep (40th)
Croatia (14th)
Germany (12th)
Ukraine (24th)
Denmark (10th)
Italy (7th)

EURO 2024
Serbia (32nd)
Denmark (21st)
Slovenia (57th)
Slovakia (45th)
Switzerland (19th)

Denmark semi final in 2020 is the only time we’ve beaten anyone in the top ten.

The equivalent of this euros run in comparison to last season’s final standings would be City or Arsenal (depending on individual quality alone you think England are the best or second best team in the competition)

Cardiff City
Leicester City
Exeter City
Portsmouth
Burnley

Never known a manager to get an easy run so much and struggle to get through with the talent he has available.
I think this is a great post that highlights just how fortunate Gareth has been.

The fact remains that despite touching down on fortune, we've won nothing under him and I've seen nothing that makes me confident that it's going to change in this tournament.

I thought it was better, particularly against a well organised Swiss team playing with confidence.

However, there are still serious issues to address, which I expect Southgate will ignore.

Kane continually dropping deeper, and then deeper again can't be helping the team. Trippier (not many options) is hindering the balance.

Might as well drop Foden(I thought he played well first half) He appears frustrated and it just isn't happening for him. I don't think Phil and Bellingham can play those roles together and he isn't dropping Bellingham.

The press - well, it's just a bit of a mess. Sometimes we do, often we don't. Some press while others amble around, then it just stops altogether. Foden seems to be the only one who does it regularly and with purpose.

We only seem to be able to play well going forward for a few minutes at a time - there's rarely sustained pressure where you feel the opposition will cave in.

Still, it's something to build on. Some positives, but much bigger improvement required from Gareth if we want to progress and ultimately win it. Feels like we are still being bailed out by rare moments of individual brilliance.

Last edited:
I think this is a great post that highlights just how fortunate Gareth has been.

The fact remains that despite touching down on fortune, we've won nothing under him and I've seen nothing that makes me confident that it's going to change in this tournament.

you must be hating every single minute and preying we don't win. weird obsessive negativity.

England are in ANOTHER semi final. great achievement again - Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Italy - and some other very good sides with star players are packed up and out the cup - England are still in and just don't know when to be beaten. Bring on the Dutch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.