England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

He isn’t playing our MOST creative player. Henderson, Rice and Phillips over Foden, Jesus wept.

Foden is the most technically gifted player England has ever had, the team should be built around him, it’s no coincidence that Pep has said that he is the best player he has ever worked with.

What countries are ‘fun’ to watch on a regular basis ?

Very few to be honest, my in-laws are Portuguese and I watch them from time to time but I feel they’re experiencing similar issues with their own “golden generation”.

But it doesn’t have to be like the Harlem Globetrotters every match, some games are going to be dull, that’s football. There’s levels to this though, it’s more nuanced than just “fun” or “not fun”. It’s a spectrum. At one end is the kind of dull functional football that we had to endure under Pearce and then at the other there’s Brazil 1970. Then there’s a thousand shades in between. Both can get results but one is obviously preferable if you have a team with the right ability.

The frustration is that Southgate is one of the few men in world football who has the resources to fashion a stylish team but instead chooses to first ensure he doesn’t get beat. And that is a philosophical part of his nature which is never going to change.

There are teams with far fewer resources who are more liberal in their attempts to play a more attractive brand of football. Macedonia are one of them which is why they just got heavily pumped by us, but they knocked Italy out of World Cup qualifying so sometimes it comes off for them. More power to them, I have a lot of admiration for it.

Our best crop of players in a generation is being wasted by being coached hy Southgate. He is not an elite coach and our good results have come despite his management, nit because of it. A bit like Martinez at Belgium, a real waste and a shame.

That said, I have no idea who I'd replace him with.

Foden plays in a totally different position to them

Saka and Rashford at times get picked over Foden and based on England performances it can be justified

Saka and Rashford have merited their places on recent performances.

They also seem to have been more patiently treated by the coach.

Cant remember Foden starting any consecutive games for England.
Relatively recently,at least.

Starts the odd match,and then by not managing to score a hatrick,or supplying multiple assists gets dropped.

Meanwhile Gareth tells everyone how he picks his squads based on club form.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.