England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

Pep, arguably one of the best managers ever, has won the CL after 7 attempts - falling at the QF, SF and final stage previously.

England under Southgate has competed in 3 major tournaments (WC 2018/2022, Euro 2020) and fallen at SF, QF and final stage.

Now, I am not for one second suggesting that Southgate is remotely as good a manager as Pep but there seems to be some double standards on here. If Southgate has underachieved in 3 competitions, has Pep underachieved in the previous 6?

Winning knockout tournaments is hard, and involves a degree of luck as well as skill sometimes (which City fans should be all too aware of!).

Good post. I would also add that England weren't exactly favourites going into any of those tournaments. 2018? The previous World Cup they got knocked out the group stage and two years previously got knocked out the Euro's by Iceland. The likes of Phil Jones, Lingard, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek made the squad! 2020 they had the benefit of home advantage, but it still wasn't a team in brilliant form going in like Italy were. 2022 they arrived off the back of being relegated in the Nations League, and got knocked out by the finalists and defending champions, hardly a disgrace. Now, I don't believe Southgate is some kind of genius, neither do I think he's some complete dullard who wouldn't know a football if it whacked him in the face. I just think the punch bag reputation he's earned is pretty harsh.

An international coach only gets to work with the players for a fraction of the time that their club coaches do, so they have a limited opportunity to achieve things and get them playing the way they want. I have no idea how Southgate would fare as a PL manager but (a bit controversial perhaps) I actually think Pep might struggle as an international manager as he wouldn't get enough time with the players. We've seen how long it can take some players to adapt to his system even in a club environment.
Well i can tell you how he’d do as a league coach. Crap. Ask Boro

Pep, arguably one of the best managers ever, has won the CL after 7 attempts - falling at the QF, SF and final stage previously.

England under Southgate has competed in 3 major tournaments (WC 2018/2022, Euro 2020) and fallen at SF, QF and final stage.

Now, I am not for one second suggesting that Southgate is remotely as good a manager as Pep but there seems to be some double standards on here. If Southgate has underachieved in 3 competitions, has Pep underachieved in the previous 6?

Winning knockout tournaments is hard, and involves a degree of luck as well as skill sometimes (which City fans should be all too aware of!).

Building Southgate up to be the best thing since 66 only to take twisted delight in knocking him down again. England all over that.

It’s fucking pathetic isn’t it.

Southgate isn’t a football genius but he’s done a decent job. A better job than any other England manager in my lifetime anyway.

You cant judge him against pub teams which most of the qualifiers are. I would like to thing a English team of championship players could beat most of these.

Southgate is not of the level to coach our lads. Hence he doesnt know how to use Foden. TAA in midfield ahead of Foden, southgate should just for that .

No fan of Southgate but bit harsh to call the team who’ve knocked the current European Champions out of the last two World Cups, a pub team.

Perhaps we've come across the actual problem?

I've just told you that in the 100 year history of English football before Southgate the team had won 9 knockout matches and your reaction is that you expected him to win 6 so they don't matter.
Keep going with your happy clapping! This is the best and most talented squad of players at our disposal since 1970. And like Ramsey in the 1970 QF we have a manager whose in game management is none existent! That is why we lose the big ones that matters! Hodgson and Eriksson were both the same, being out guiled by their opposition.

Last edited:

Wind up surely!

Pep has won the PL repeatedly which is arguably harder to win than a Euro Cup competition, plus numerous domestic cups.

England are crap, play crap, they come up against a half decent and organised team and fail.

Any manager would have achieved what Southgate has achieved, no other manager would have achieved what Pep has.

Take Klopp for example, his teams and management stye are lauded when they do well, followed by an anonymous season where they are shit.

I don't think Southgate should be judged for not winning World Cups. I think most managers would fail at that.

He should be judged for his style of play and how fun England are to watch, given most of our time watching England play is more recreational than competitive.

And if you think England are fun to watch... well fair enough, but personally I'd rather spend the time doing the dishes.

Wind up surely!

Pep has won the PL repeatedly which is arguably harder to win than a Euro Cup competition, plus numerous domestic cups.

England are crap, play crap, they come up against a half decent and organised team and fail.

Any manager would have achieved what Southgate has achieved, no other manager would have achieved what Pep has.

Take Klopp for example, his teams and management stye are lauded when they do well, followed by an anonymous season where they are shit.
Not a wind up. The PL (or any league competition) is a very different animal to a knockout cup competition. Over 38 games the best teams will almost always win, but in a knockout tournament teams can get a lucky draw/run (does anyone think that Chelsea was actually the best team in Europe when they won it in 2012? they came 6th in the PL!). Hence why City under Pep has been so successful in the PL - because we can all agree they are the best and quality will out over 38 games.

However, what I was doing was comparing records in major knockout cup competitions (i.e. at least on a superficial level trying to compare apples with apples) and and asking for consistency in assessment of the results. I very clearly said I wasn't suggesting Southgate was as good at Pep!

PS: if 'any other manager' would have done what Southgate has, why haven't they? He is still has the best results as an England manager in 50 years and that's just stating a fact.

International football vs League football mmmm

Pep has 4 competitions to compete in across 60 games not 10.

Keep going with your happy clapping! This is the best and most talented squad of players at our disposable since 1970. And like Ramsey in the 1970 QF we have a manager whose in game management is none existent! That is why we lose the big ones that matters! Hodgson and Eriksson were both the same, being out guiled by their opposition.

This "best squad since" nonsense has been said for as long as I can remember. This squad isn't a patch on those in the early-mid 2000s. We've got Stones, Kane and Walker who you'd say are world class. There are many players who are emerging talents with the potential to reach those heights - Foden, Saka, Bellingham, Rice but this squad isn't a patch on those with the likes of Owen, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole who were all in the top 10 in the world in their positions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.