England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

Our best crop of players in a generation is being wasted by being coached hy Southgate. He is not an elite coach and our good results have come despite his management, nit because of it. A bit like Martinez at Belgium, a real waste and a shame.

That said, I have no idea who I'd replace him with.

Personally I’d have Graham Potter over him in a heartbeat.

.......PickFord....
Walker.Stones.Maguire.Shaw
...........Rice.....
...Foden....Bellingham
Saka....Kane...Grealish

Probably our best 11 right now.

.......PickFord....
Walker.Stones.Maguire.Shaw
...........Rice.....
...Foden....Bellingham
Saka....Kane...Grealish

Probably our best 11 right now.

Looks sexy to me

I would stick with Trent personally where you put Foden, his set pieces and deliveries alone can win games.
Foden for Grealish probably.

Would you give up on City if a manager played more of a defensive style despite having one of the highest win ratios ?
City are defensive.
Arteta even stated Pep is the most defensive manager in the Prem.

Hence why we keep the ball and move it to find over loads. A reluctance to gamble with a bung into the box. Instead, recycled until we find gaps.

I think Southgate has gone down the Liverpool route
That’s the way he’s modelled the team tactics

I think it will get you so far. And then you will be beat by the better footballing team.

Several of those players get in the current City side. All of them were world class. That squad is better than this one, that's unarguable. Football has evolved but those players were all much better when compared to those from other countries than this current squad. They weren't rotten personalities either. They were committed to club football and the England managers were unable to create an environment of unity and commitment to the national team, in combination with being tactical incapable of getting the best out of them.

What Southgate has achieved with this squad over the past few tournaments is very good. I feel like he's benefitted from some favourable draws and he definitely isn't as tactically astute as many other managers, but whilst someone else could improve on that side, it's no guarantee they'd be able to create the same team environment and that plays a huge part in things.

What drugs are u on? Sorry mate but are you such a Southgate fan that you invent things! Peps Barca side destroyed some of those those heroes you are harping on about in 2011. This pep side would destroy that Barca Side!

I do not wish to denigrate you.....but keep on clapping son!!!

Not a wind up. The PL (or any league competition) is a very different animal to a knockout cup competition. Over 38 games the best teams will almost always win, but in a knockout tournament teams can get a lucky draw/run (does anyone think that Chelsea was actually the best team in Europe when they won it in 2012? they came 6th in the PL!). Hence why City under Pep has been so successful in the PL - because we can all agree they are the best and quality will out over 38 games.

However, what I was doing was comparing records in major knockout cup competitions (i.e. at least on a superficial level trying to compare apples with apples) and and asking for consistency in assessment of the results. I very clearly said I wasn't suggesting Southgate was as good at Pep!

PS: if 'any other manager' would have done what Southgate has, why haven't they? He is still has the best results as an England manager in 50 years and that's just stating a fact.
Another fact is that BFS has a 100% win record with England.....

This team is no way as talented as when we had Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard and Rooney all in the same team

At the same time Southgate has a good crop of players who keep the ball well, but at the same time nobody in that midfield shines enough to set it alight.

It's been that way since Gascoigne left the England scene. Someone that takes risks and gets the ball forwards. Whether that's Southgates instructions or lack of confidence I don't know. We have the players in Grealish, Saka and Foden to make something happen.

Semi final of a world cup and a final of Euros is over achieving in a side like this for me. Considering we haven't won anything almost sixty years I don't see what else we can do.

Sven and Capello were bigger failures for me. My only thing is I wish Southgate would be more adventurous

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.