England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

You can't keep having totally new teams/squad based on current PL form, will lose the harmony/cohesion this England squad have. you need a balance of experienced England players and form players.
Lol, so you keep picking a player that is abyssmal, and you ignore the guys that are inform. You are Gareth Southgate and I claim my £5.

Lol, so you keep picking a player that is abyssmal, and you ignore the guys that are inform. You are Gareth Southgate and I claim my £5.

you pick player who you want, you're the England manager, don't listen to what other fans think as they all have different views and mostly speak bollox.

You can't keep having totally new teams/squad based on current PL form, will lose the harmony/cohesion this England squad have. you need a balance of experienced England players and form players.

You need a balance. You want to give players the opportunity to impress, it's the only way to keep a conveyor belt of talent coming through. But you also need to give players the confidence that they can have a bad game or two and wont be out of the squad - take that pressure away.

People seem to think Southgate is going to make wholesale changes each time. There aren't many players screaming out for a place in the squad. Sterling's been better than Rashford but he's not been great. And whilst he's not let England down, he probably doesn't start anymore anyway so it's not too big an issue him not being in the squad. You know, if you have injury issues, you can bring him straight back in. Southgate can't say "he's been shite so he's not in" he has to use a more diplomatic reason and squad harmony is a good way to go.

Similarly with Maguire in past squads. He can't say "the other options are inexperienced and shite so I can only use Maguire even though he's shit too". Henderson by all accounts is a great player in the squad for mentoring and leadership so it's logical he's retained even if he's playing at a lower level now. Phillips is an odd one but he does perform for England in the style of play Southgate wants and there aren't many options out there. I'd like to have seen Ward-Prowse in there but he's a different type of player.

You need a balance. You want to give players the opportunity to impress, it's the only way to keep a conveyor belt of talent coming through. But you also need to give players the confidence that they can have a bad game or two and wont be out of the squad - take that pressure away.

People seem to think Southgate is going to make wholesale changes each time. There aren't many players screaming out for a place in the squad. Sterling's been better than Rashford but he's not been great. And whilst he's not let England down, he probably doesn't start anymore anyway so it's not too big an issue him not being in the squad. You know, if you have injury issues, you can bring him straight back in. Southgate can't say "he's been shite so he's not in" he has to use a more diplomatic reason and squad harmony is a good way to go.

Similarly with Maguire in past squads. He can't say "the other options are inexperienced and shite so I can only use Maguire even though he's shit too". Henderson by all accounts is a great player in the squad for mentoring and leadership so it's logical he's retained even if he's playing at a lower level now. Phillips is an odd one but he does perform for England in the style of play Southgate wants and there aren't many options out there. I'd like to have seen Ward-Prowse in there but he's a different type of player.

Blimey, a rational balanced post.
very well put.

We have a great potential starting 11 and a very good squad. But as much as we have insane attacking options, we're also limited in other areas. Rice and Stones are vital as we have nobody on or near the same level to replace them. We also don't have that winning mentality the likes of France, Spain and Portugal have. That's what gets you through games in the latter stages when you don't play as well as you're capable of. You still have that mentality that helps you to find ways to win. I now consider us a semi-final team. Anything less than that is failure. Once you get to a semi final you're only two good games and a bit of luck away from winning something. But as much as I think we're more than capable, I still expect this England team under Southgate to come up just short when it really matters.

If everyone was fit, this would be something like my 11 -

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Tomori
Shaw/Chilwell (depends on fitness)

Rice
Lewis

Bellingham

Foden
Saka

Kane

Subs: Ramsdale, Colwill/Guehi, Trippier, Loftus-Cheek, Maddison/Palmer, Grealish, Watkins/Toney

Lewis is admittedly a sentimental pick and the Euros might come too soon for him. But I think we'll see him and Rice together for a long time sooner rather than later.

More bizarre squad choices by the waistcoat. Sterling has found a bit of form recently in a dreadful chelsea side, But Rashford who has been appalling this season gets the nod ahead of him and Nkeitia. Obviously Henderson is in the squad aswell as he is the future of our midfield.

Rashford has been really poor for United this season but has been very good for England in his last few games, and this time last year he was scoring goals just about every week. If he doesn't find some form before the Euro's then surely his place has to be under threat from the likes of Bowen and Gordon, but he's still a great option to have on the bench.

Sadly, Southgate loves his safe and boring style of football but he does get results. It's when we play France and Belgium where he struggles to beat them.

We have the Euros to try and win. Then playing Nations League in League B, likely playing Kazakhstan when we should be playing Spain but because of the very poor performances against Hungary we got relegated when we should never have been relegated from League A.

Then after we try to qualify for the World Cup in USA, Canada and Mexico. Then the Euros at home.

Thought there was nothing in it last year when England lost 2-1 against France. If Kane converts his penalty England probably go through as the momentum would have been with us. I get that France were missing a few key players, one of them Benzema, but he's since retired from International football, and for us Bellingham wasn't what he is now.

you pick player who you want, you're the England manager, don't listen to what other fans think as they all have different views and mostly speak bollox.
So you rate Rashford then!! . He's has been in such sparkling form hasnt he? . Infact he's actually only ever had one decent season. Last season. All the rest he averages just over 10 league goals a season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.