England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

We've had some good teams in the past: had some really fantastic players, but we've been continuously let down by England managers who pick their favourites instead of whoever's best for the job.

It reminds me of the government in this country: appoint someone to look after the schools and education system, if they fuck it up move them on to the ministry of defence, and if they ruin that as well make them head of transport or something else. But most importantly, keep them in your cabinet. Whatever else you MUST find something for them to do - however bloody useless they are. By whichever means necessary, justify their inclusion in everything.
And this is precisely how the England team seems to be run: we know Trent Pirlo, Henderson, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford and Pickford should not be representing our country at international level. They simply are not good enough. But they will still be the first names on the team sheet. Always.
This

England will never beat a team ranked the same or above them in the latter stages of a competition with Southgate in charge. This has been proven over the last 3 tournaments and it be the same in Germany. The press and Rashford/Saka lovers are getting carried away again after two games against poor opposition. They will become as ineffective as they do against top class club opposition when facing the big boys. Expect the same dull safety first approach and poor in game management from the waist coat wonder!

Tickled me when Gazza was interviewed on the pitch the other day, and he said how great it was to see all the young players coming through, but then only went on to mention one name....Rashford.

25 years of age, and has been around the squad for 4 or 5 years. Not to say that Gazza is the brains behind anything, but it just goes to show the narrative behind this England team.

How the likes of Pickford gets in ahead of Ramsdale blows my mind.

To all those criticising Southgate: name an available manager, who could do better.

I’m not saying that he is the best in the world, but he’s doing a decent job.
I see no one is yet to name a manager.

We could do what Spain and Germany did for the last World Cup and pick a manager who's won the Champions League in Enrique and Flick, but then they bombed out of the World Cup before England did.

I don't think Southgate is some master tactician, but then do those sort of managers do well in international football? In my lifetime the two biggest success in British international football have been what Southgate has done with England and what Coleman did with Wales and both of them created an environment where it felt like playing for a club team instead of turning up as a break from their club.

I guess the bigger issue here is that there aren't really any top level English coaches. Although I wouldn't say it has to be an English coach take over after Southgate, I certainly feel like it would need to be someone to understand English culture in a way that Sven and Capello never could. When you look at foreign managers known for tactics and been here long enough to get an English dressing room there's not a long list -not sure if I could see Pep or Klopp ever taking it, and I think the moment has gone now for someone like Wenger to take the role. Eddie Howe might be the man in a few years but he's not got the experience of playing in tournaments that Southgate has.

Personally I feel like Southgate has done a good job overall, not overachieved nor underachieved; the squad is around the same quality as we had between 1998-2008 and no one from that era got to a semi or a final.

I woulnt say its been wasted. Gareth can get to semi finals and finals, his only cirme is not taking the last step.

Ive alwayes eye rolled when people say 'this team should be winning'. Particualr the notion of 'shoudl be'.

Really. How many current England players would get in the Brazil 2002 team, or the Spain 2010 team? or Germany in 2014?

We always overrated ourselves. We should expect to be competitive, but to 'expect' to win the World Cup or Euro's is rank arrogance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.