England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

There's one thing that no one seems to mention.
Some say that England should be using City players more in these qualifiers. Why? So we can beat Malta 6-0 instead of 4, or N.M. 9-0 instead of 7?
This is all very well, but why risk using the crème de la crème when England are playing fotballing minnows?
Why subject them to the risk of injury?
There is simply no need to do that.
City players have had probably the most gruelling season of any club ever.
Let them enjoy their break and come back refreshed and ready for the new season.
Don't select them and give them a further week on holiday might be an idea which most of us would support

I generally agree with the title of the thread, but I don’t think the last two matches against Malta and North Macedonia are example of the issue.

City players were knackered (and likely still pissed) after their efforts in the last few weeks of the season, so not playing them against Malta was understandable.

That said, I didn’t like Southgate’s comments about—and treatment of—our players generally. That was yet another example of poor, biased management (that would have not happened if United, Liverpool, or Arsenal had won the treble and celebrated as our lads did).

Last edited:
Southgate might get results but he bores everyone with slow and predictable football. Yes you can beat what's in front off you but we still a long way off from being Europe's best.

Our players have the talent but not used correctly.

If we are playing San Marino then get rid off the Defensive Midfielder and add an Attacking Midfielder. If its France then definitely add a Defensive Midfielder.

Southgate might get results but he bores everyone with slow and predictable football. Yes you can beat what's in front off you but we still a long way off from being Europe's best.

Our players have the talent but not used correctly.

If we are playing San Marino then get rid off the Defensive Midfielder and add an Attacking Midfielder. If its France then definitely add a Defensive Midfielder.

We just played North Macedonia with Henderson and Rice holding …

We won 7-0

Are they? How many England players are actually’world class’? We’ve got several at the level below, but France have the same number plus a few genuinely world class ones. That makes the difference. We always big up our domestic hero‘s. When you look at those from the past that we thought were world class: Gerard, lampard, scholes, owen, Lineker, Gasgoine, hoddle etc etc - actually, compared to teams we eventually went out to, they just weren’t good enough.
foden is the first Englishman I’ve seen with that innate natural ability those players above lacked and other top country‘s have had. And yet still Southgate doesn’t recognise it - that’s why we fail.

World class..

Stones
Walker
Rice
Foden
Saka
Kane
Grealish
Bellingham

Level below
Shaw
Rashford
Henderson
James
Chillwell
Ramsdale.

We often or should have a great squad. Argentina just won it, they are full of average players.

I don’t personally like Southgate, but he’s cultivated something England have t had since 1990. A squad that is together, that plays together.
My issue with him, he’s tactically inept and scared of what he has.

He’s deservedly still in the job, but he could really do with a well grizzled and tactically astute sidekick. Someone a little braver and more tactically adventurous.

I think a lot of England would like to see..

Ramsdale

Walker
Dunk
Colwill

Rice
Stones

Grealish
Bellingham
Foden
Saka

Kane.

With some real talent on the bench.

Pope
Rashford
Maddison
Willock
James
Chillwell
Shaw
Arnold
Watkins
Wilson
it’s
Etc on the bench.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.