England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

To all those criticising Southgate: name an available manager, who could do better.

I’m not saying that he is the best in the world, but he’s doing a decent job.
Potter
Decent job? he's failed on every occasion and he is the only man to relegate a club and country

There's one thing that no one seems to mention.
Some say that England should be using City players more in these qualifiers. Why? So we can beat Malta 6-0 instead of 4, or N.M. 9-0 instead of 7?
This is all very well, but why risk using the crème de la crème when England are playing fotballing minnows?
Why subject them to the risk of injury?
There is simply no need to do that.
City players have had probably the most gruelling season of any club ever.
Let them enjoy their break and come back refreshed and ready for the new season.
Dont disagree but he could have told them they werent required, to have a longer break as they deserve it but no he insisted they report criticised Jack for celebrating, probably jealous as he never won anything

Dont disagree but he could have told them they werent required, to have a longer break as they deserve it but no he insisted they report criticised Jack for celebrating, probably jealous as he never won anything
I've nothing against Southgate (aka 'the waistcoat') other than he seems desperately dull and his tactics reflect that.
England win deapite his negativity, not because of his game management, that's for sure!
He's like Eddie Charlton used to be in snooker!!

Every game I've watched under Southgate I've been screaming at the TV: "Don't keep going backwards, FFS!"

It just seems that each time the midfield get the ball, instead of doing something creative and taking the game to the opposition, they pass it back to the defenders and/or the keeper.

It is just so frustrating watching his extremely limited idea of tactics.

Pep, arguably one of the best managers ever, has won the CL after 7 attempts - falling at the QF, SF and final stage previously.

England under Southgate has competed in 3 major tournaments (WC 2018/2022, Euro 2020) and fallen at SF, QF and final stage.

Now, I am not for one second suggesting that Southgate is remotely as good a manager as Pep but there seems to be some double standards on here. If Southgate has underachieved in 3 competitions, has Pep underachieved in the previous 6?

Winning knockout tournaments is hard, and involves a degree of luck as well as skill sometimes (which City fans should be all too aware of!).

I hear this meme that this is the best England squad in 30 years. I honestly don't agree, look at all the attacking talent the England team in the 90's had; Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Wright, Le Tissier, Ferdinand, Fowler, Sutton, Collymore, etc. I think mass and social media hype this current team a bit much.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.