Enjoy your Napoli Trip

@ Whitworth Park.....I'd say really both your trips you should allow a full day to get the best out of it.
If you get in at noon you could get the train from Sorrento to Pompey Scavi but time is limited as Pompei closes an hour before sunset which I'm guessing would be about 4.30-5.00 ish. To be honest you would have to race around in 3/4 hours and just concentrate only on the best bits. You will be at the mercy of the weather to. It can still be very sunny this time of year but can also be rainy....so check the 5 day forecast before you leave UK.

The Train to Naples is fine and usually has many tourists using it. It is called the 'Circumvesuviana' line. If you wish to see Naples it will arrive in the infamous Piazza Garribaldi which is OK daytime.

From Garribaldi you have 3 choices to get to to Piazza Plebiscito/Via Toledo (near port)
1. Get a taxi (either negotiate a price or insist the meter is on)
2. Go downstairs to the metro and go to Montesanto...walk down Via Pignasecca to Piazza Carita then turn right into Via Toledo...you will eventually reach the seafront. Some nice sightseeing down there. If you want the port walk between the Galleria and San Carlo theatre and past the Castel Nuvo (Maschio Angioino)into Piazza Municipio and down to the port.
As you walk out of the metro you will see Montesanto main sation. As an alternative you could go to the upper platform and get the funicular up to the Vomero. Then a 10 minute walk to CastelSt Elmo for a gob smacking view of the everything from the castle ramparts. The Vomero is quiet and civilised!!!!
3. Get a bus to Piazza Municipio/Piazza Plebiscito

Be sure you know where the Circumvesuviana entrance is for your return journey as its quite a confusing station. Fare is 3-4 euros each way (very cheap)

A NOTE TO ALL. Train tickets can be bought at tobacconists, newsagents and stations..make sure you validate them in the franking machine inside the bus or the machine in the station . Failure to do so will lead to a hefty fine.
The ticket from Sorrento will only entitle you to travel from Sorrento to Napoli. Once inside the City you can buy a local ticket for 1.60 euros that will give you 2 hours of travel on funiculars, trams, busses , metros and trains.
I usually buy in a tobacconsit and get 6 at a time so I am ok for a couple of days travel around the city.
Everybody in Napoli knows Via Toledo and from here it is an easy and quick walk down to the port.

@jimbo101...Nice 5-10 minute walk down to the port (nothing to see there but it is the pickup point). To the north of you is Piazza Gesu Nuovo (historical centre) ..which is the best place to start a wander along Spaccanapoli. However I would resist the temptation to use the little Vico's(alleys) that lead to it (you are a mere 1-200 yards away). Instead ask the the hotel man how to get to Via Toledo. At Via Toledo turn left for Castles, Galleria, Piazza Plebiscito,,San Carlo theatre, or turn right for historical center (Decumani). Be very careful because the opening (another right turn is very narrow)and is called Via Benedetto Croce which will lead you straight to Piazza Gesu Nuovo. Some nice sights along this old Greek road

@ fat boy blue
Great location close to jimbo101. You are literally spitting distance from piazzetta del Nilo (maradonas shrine) outside bar Nilo and a nice little caffe in Piazza San Domenico Maggiore (THIS is Spaccanapoli). Walk along Spaccanapoli and enjoy). Walk up Via Nilo into Via Del Tribunale for 1 of the best pizzas at Gino Sorbillos.
You can see me having a coffee with Marco in Piazza San Domenico Maggiore for the Liverpool game on this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UnVs8Qh64
drag the slider along to 5:45 to this area

All of you on Spaccanapoli make sure you see Via San Gregorio Armeno..very atmospheric on the lead up to Xmas.

anyone flying out of manchester on the monday early flight (ryan air) departs about haf six to rome, four of us doing this so anyone fancy a meet up in rome then train down to napoli we havnt got digs yet so whats everyone doing port area or in the town centre, some good info on hear to give us the heads up about napoli looks like this ones going to be fun

cheers lads

Cheers Pete,

We get to Naples about midday on Monday & leave Wednesday.

PM me you mobile & we'll meet up to buy you a beer or two.

not to be uncouth but I am trying to find places to go for a beer in Naples. I'm staying at piazza municipio and noticed an irish pub a couple of km's away called the "Frank Malone" Its up by the Museuo Nazionalle. Is that a nice area and has our resident Naples expert ever been there? I was thinking of spending an hour or two pottering around the museum before hitting the pub!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.