Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barca thought they get him on the cheap this summer, but look - it doesn't quite work out ;)

We wouldn't want to afford losing 50m for Leroy on a free, in Eric's case it's different though.

And the point Eric being unhappy about another year with us does in the same way hit Barca,
or do you believe he would be happy if Barca refuse to pay?
He has dropped his pants and now he needs to leave, otherwise he doesn't look good.

Maybe we just agree to change the currency from £20+add-ons to €20+add-ons.
Pay up, Barca, or wait til next July.
Surely he can take some good workload with corona fixture pile-up.

Is it charity though? You received a 16 year old without paying a fee, developed elsewhere. You developed and profited from his minutes & contributions with very little salary impact. A developmental fee for 3 years is absolutely warranted and I have no contention with it

I do not concur that his value to Barca is that of what he would be on the open market, particularly when he is not open to the market - only returning to Barcelona

I do agree that some compromise will be needed and likely since I cannot envision Pep benching him - there are too many ways it would reflect badly for City IMHO, much less Pep. Barca, in this case, have little to lose apart from waiting a year to get him for free and, again, have most of the leverage from a negotiating standpoint. He has an expiring contract and only wants to return

I am just a bit surprised by City's stance, surely they are aware that Barca will not stump up market value for him - I can only assume the 23M figure was floated to pressure Barto to stump up more than 10M. A big reason why I think it'll end up somewhere in the middle, perhaps even incentive laden based on 1st team appearances, trophies etc.

The other influencing factors here would be Puyol & De la Pena - it's a complicated situation that will require some cool heads so we'll see how it plays out
Could I suggest a swap deal with Messi as they both want to leave their respective clubs.
We will take him and a cash adjustment and you will be able to recoup 5 million in a few years when you sell him on to Getafe

It's a lovely narrative but largely fiction but keep telling yourself that Barca will be relegated and be in line for food stamps shortly, esp. when Leo retires

I have no pain in this. I am thrilled for the pending return of one of our own. My only concern is for Pep's reputation to stay intact, it has been smeared too much by local fools long enough - a drawn out transfer for a player like Garcia would really push him even further from the club. Not the kind of line in the sand I would hope Guardiola would really want to cross

Pep is our manager. He does what is best for us. Not barca

Must be a rhetorical question, obviously everyone is aware of where Txiki & Pep are employed...just as much as everyone is aware of their Barcelona roots. I contend that since Pep left Barca in 2012 he has tread lightly when it comes to his hometown club - he has been respectful and acrimony has been avoided whenever possible. It's not merely a question of his professionalism but also that relationship to Barca, a relationship that has no expiration date

Pep has directly called Barca out on at least one occasion...relationships can be broken. Im not saying this will happen but Pep has clearly stated that he has other ambitions other than Barca. He of course will go home one day but make no mistake about it - he aint happy with the way they have behaved. Its also noteworth that he has chosen to manage here longer than he did with your first team

Monetarily, the amount is small (10M for fee, 625k annual salary) relative to overall budget or revenue but on balance it remains a financial loss for City on top of the damage parking a player wishing to exit does. Let's assume the difference in valuation is in the neighborhood of 5-8 million, would it be better to take a 10-15M profit or swallow 11M loss on top of the negative consequences of keeping a player against his will: that's effectively a 25M swing in the books

Regarding the difference between Leroy Sane and Garcia. Sane is a more valuable player as he is harder to replace. However if Bayern hadnt come up with the money to pay for him we would have kept him to see out his contract - this was directly stated. Bayern and Leroy knew this was no good so a deal that we were happy with was made _ Bayern could have waited a year and got him ( a more valuable player) absolutely free but they didnt. LEroy too was going "home" but clearly didnt want to risk a year on the sidelines. Garcia wont want to risk that and if Barca decide to wait a year as a player you would be asking "well how much do you actually want me?" Barca wont risk this if they truly want him. City have ready made replacements for Garcia (Stones, Harwood Bellis, Tosin, Sandler to name but 4) and there are others....we can afford to wait with zero drop off in quality - again how much do Barca want him?

There would be zero negative consequence for us - as you have stated, Garcia is a model pro - he will sit there and do as he is told, train as he is told until the time the club say or his contract runs out. This was shown last night in our biggest game of the season - he was dropped and we played Ferna there (No way that would have happened if Garcia hadnt announced he was not signing a contract). I would imagine unless there any major injuries between now and then Garcia will spend the game against Lyon on the bench as well (And he will have missed the two biggest games of his career to date - that wont make him happy at all....and if colludes with Barca to try to exit on a free he will have that all next season as well).....City are in control of this and will sell when we get the deal we want -- of course we will not be unreasonable and it will be a deal with add-ons - mainly cause you guys are skint and financially you are sinking.

And ask yourself another question...you are Klopp, or Sarri or any other big team manager and you are facing Eric Garcia as one of the centre halves in an important match rather than a Kompany. Laporte, Nathan Ake or maybe even Koulibaly - are you happy about this or sad about this? Garcia will be comfortable in the majority of league games cause you will dominate them - however in the big games - is he good enough - this is the question that is still unanswered and Im nowhere near convinced he will be.

Guess who else remains a Barca fan, your coach

are you suggesting Pep would favour Barca over his current employers - ones who he has stated many many times that he is "so happy working with." Ones who he has worked with as a first team coach longer than he did with your first team.

You seem to suggest that Pep would act unprofessionally with that last comment as in to favour Barca.....I seriously doubt that and his anger at them is clear and has been mentioned at least once before. Id bet when he does leave us it wont be back to you lot for a bit - he is ambitious and Barca dont match those ambitions at present.

Is it charity though? You received a 16 year old without paying a fee, developed elsewhere. You developed and profited from his minutes & contributions with very little salary impact. A developmental fee for 3 years is absolutely warranted and I have no contention with it

I do not concur that his value to Barca is that of what he would be on the open market, particularly when he is not open to the market - only returning to Barcelona

I do agree that some compromise will be needed and likely since I cannot envision Pep benching him - there are too many ways it would reflect badly for City IMHO, much less Pep. Barca, in this case, have little to lose apart from waiting a year to get him for free and, again, have most of the leverage from a negotiating standpoint. He has an expiring contract and only wants to return

I am just a bit surprised by City's stance, surely they are aware that Barca will not stump up market value for him - I can only assume the 23M figure was floated to pressure Barto to stump up more than 10M. A big reason why I think it'll end up somewhere in the middle, perhaps even incentive laden based on 1st team appearances, trophies etc.

The other influencing factors here would be Puyol & De la Pena - it's a complicated situation that will require some cool heads so we'll see how it plays out

Sorry, but it was you who posted a link which quoted the price of 10 million and repeatedly claim that your club has the leverage, not the kind of behaviour that is likely to foster good relationships and lead to a good deal. You’re not working for your club, are you? :-)

Garcia was given more minutes in the League this season than Foden enjoyed last, but I doubt we’d have agreed to him going to Stockport County for cheap, no matter how homesick he felt. Garcia is now an adult and worth more than 10 million but I agree less than full open market value. However, given your ‘politics’, his worth to you may ironically increase his value. Now that he’s indicated he’s leaving, we need to find replacements and will play them ahead of him if he stays, so he’s not being benched, simply going back down the pecking order. The clubs will meet in the middle, but there will be little trust at this end.

Sorry, but it was you who posted a link which quoted the price of 10 million and repeatedly claim that your club has the leverage, not the kind of behaviour that is likely to foster good relationships and lead to a good deal. You’re not working for your club, are you? :-)

You'd think right? But never for this board as a disclaimer. No, the number I came up with was really an educated guess based on similar situations in the past and taking into account Eric's particulars (Including the Barca/La Masia connection)

Garcia was given more minutes in the League this season than Foden enjoyed last, but I doubt we’d have agreed to him going to Stockport County for cheap, no matter how homesick he felt. Garcia is now an adult and worth more than 10 million but I agree less than full open market value. However, given your ‘politics’, his worth to you may ironically increase his value. Now that he’s indicated he’s leaving, we need to find replacements and will play them ahead of him if he stays, so he’s not being benched, simply going back down the pecking order. The clubs will meet in the middle, but there will be little trust at this end.

I don't agree they are similar situations. For all we know Eric's increased minutes were intended to mitigate the possible departure since he hadn't renewed, fearing he would never get 1st team chances (Perhaps as he was led to believe when signing as a 16 year old).

I recognize it's complicated to accept but there are particular circumstances involved precisely because he comes from Barcelona's cantera

I do agree there could be longlasting fallout that hurts Pep more than anyone else involved. I hope a compromise that works for all is found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.