Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an article in The Athletic today detailing Barca's disastrous window in which they managed to bring in one player, Dest from Ajax, whilst missing out on a host of so called targets such as Martinez and Depay. It says that we were happy for Garcia to leave and were expecting Barca to increase their initial offer of €8 plus addons but no offer arrived. This seems more likely to me as it doesn't make any sense to keep Garcia if the Barca offer was fairly close to what we would have liked to receive.

The notion that playing hardball over Garcia will force clubs to pay more for future transfers is fanciful in the extreme.

The "Win" is in the next time we do business with either them or the other entitled European royalty who think they can treat us like a small club.

Down the line a stance like this pays off.

Exactly. If ever there was a 'sacrifice' to be made to show nerve, this is it, both financial and footballing. Neither the player nor the money will be missed, he is on low wages, doesn't take up a slot in the squad, and is a distant choice for his position. Taking half the money the club wanted for him is worth less than having him in the squad, even unused, and also making a stance.

People can argue it isn't a 'wise' decision, not selling him for whateve barca offered in the end. But to me, it is the 'right' one. The club wouldn't have made it if they didn't think so.

I'd still send him on loan, he's ended up being a pawn in City v barca.

I don't think he a bad person and just wants to 'go home'. That's fine but we don't really want him stinking out training & I'm sure he'd rather play somewhere than sit in the stands with us.

If I were him I'd be very concerned that if barca were actually intending building a defence/using him as a regular first team player they couldn't find/be arsed to find £20M for him.

There is an article in The Athletic today detailing Barca's disastrous window in which they managed to bring in one player, Dest from Ajax, whilst missing out on a host of so called targets such as Martinez and Depay. It says that we were happy for Garcia to leave and were expecting Barca to increase their initial offer of €8 plus addons but no offer arrived. This seems more likely to me as it doesn't make any sense to keep Garcia if the Barca offer was fairly close to what we would have liked to receive.

The notion that playing hardball over Garcia will force clubs to pay more for future transfers is fanciful in the extreme.

It is shocking. They couldn't even sign bloody winealdum, depay, and wee eric. they were after angelino and zinchenko reportedly as well. What a fucking shitshow. And they had to let players like rakitic suarez and vidal go for sod all.

What a fucking shitshow.

I guess their claim to success will be keeping messi at the club, but talk about low aspirations and even less ability to pursue them.

I absolutely feel for Koeman.

So tell me how Tottenham Hotspur and Napoli for example won their reputations for being difficult to buy players from?

Granted, it doesn’t happen with one player. It’s built up over time. But I call it a decent start.

I'd still send him on loan, he's ended up being a pawn in City v barca.

I don't think he a bad person and just wants to 'go home'. That's fine but we don't really want him stinking out training & I'm sure he'd rather play somewhere than sit in the stands with us.

If I were him I'd be very concerned that if barca were actually intending building a defence/using him as a regular first team player they couldn't find/be arsed to find £20M for him.
City need Garcia. Our right sided defenders are Dias and Stones and Stones has struggled with injuries for what feels like years.

If there is any truth in the £18m offered by Barca which we refused, surely this is just another example of the arrogant game of brinksmanship demonstrated by the Barca management team.

They possibly need Garcia for their defence ( don't know, don't want to know and couldn't give a fuck thank you @FCBarca ) but rather than pay the £2m which would have secured the player, they decided to make this " stand off " situation to show how big and powerful they are.

If by not signing him ( although from what I have seen of him play I can't see why ) their season goes ( further ) down the pan , then they will have got exactly what their arrogance deserves.

As for the player himself, I hope there is no need for City to have to play him again, because it will mean that our defence is really in a desperate situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.