Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think so as he's never played for an English club at U 21

Yeah but it's still an interesting enquiry I've always wondered about... I mean take Owen Hargreaves for instance was he actually seen as homegrown? Because he certainly wasn't by that interpretation of the law he wasn't born here and never lived here as a kid, Haaland did both for a while so in a certain sense he has more right to be classed as homegrown than a former England international.

Does birth here alone let you be classified as homegrown cos if not it should by common sense really, just look around there's clear cases right now of English/British/Irish kids playing abroad in foreign academies, they won't ever serve the 3 year term in their own nations or here, then you get foreign kids joining a club at 15 till 20 in England that equals homegrown, before they return to their home nation where they aren't recognised as having eligible home grown status, surely that's incorrect and can't strictly be right how would that be fair on the English or foreign born kid not being homegrown in their birth country?

There must be some kinda loophole but I've never seen a clear answer for it anywhere, personally I've never checked but it seems a very weird rule to me if Haaland isn't eligible, Giovanni Reyna at Dortmund is the same he should defo be homegrown here, both him and Haaland spent close to or over the first 4 years of their lives predominantly living here.

Yeah but it's still an interesting enquiry I've always wondered about... I mean take Owen Hargreaves for instance was he actually seen as homegrown? Because he certainly wasn't by that interpretation of the law he wasn't born here and never lived here as a kid, Haaland did both for a while so in a certain sense he has more right to be classed as homegrown than a former England international.

Does birth here alone let you be classified as homegrown cos if not it should by common sense really, just look around there's clear cases right now of English/British/Irish kids playing abroad in foreign academies, they won't ever serve the 3 year term in their own nations or here, then you get foreign kids joining a club at 15 till 20 in England that equals homegrown, before they return to their home nation where they aren't recognised as having eligible home grown status, surely that's incorrect and can't strictly be right how would that be fair on the English or foreign born kid not being homegrown in their birth country?

There must be some kinda loophole but I've never seen a clear answer for it anywhere, personally I've never checked but it seems a very weird rule to me if Haaland isn't eligible, Giovanni Reyna at Dortmund is the same he should defo be homegrown here, both him and Haaland spent close to or over the first 4 years of their lives predominantly living here.
No hargreaves & Dier don't count for HG. Both came through academies abroad

@ScottSinclair unpack this for us please

"An advice I got from a farmer a couple of years ago: Talk with your feet, and everything else will be fine. Okay I said, and left."

Doesn't mean anything I think other than acknowledging there is off the pitch stuff going on, and the farmer is most likely his dad

EDIT: Impressive how google managed to translate it so well considering he has written it excactly how he speaks with his thick accent but no idea where "native" comes from. It is "feet" :)

Last edited:
"An advice I got from a farmer a couple of years ago: Talk with your feet, and everything else will be fine. Okay I said, and left."

Doesn't mean anything I think lol other than acknowledging there is off the pitch stuff going on, and the farmer is most likely his dad
His dad was a fairly agricultural type player if I remember rightly, certainly compared to today's team

Doesn't mean anything I think lol other than acknowledging there is off the pitch stuff going on, and the farmer is most likely his dad
I wonder why Google translate says “natives” and not “feet”. That’s why I was very confused initially.

I got….

“An advice I got from a farmer a couple of years ago is to say: Talk to the natives and everything will go well.
Ok I said go”

To me that suggests he has spoken to people, that he knows already, at RM and City and asked them what they think about being there.

Doesnt move us on obviously!

No they weren't homegrown. in the same way Ake is.The homegrown rules are only based on where a player plays before he's 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.