Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got….

“An advice I got from a farmer a couple of years ago is to say: Talk to the natives and everything will go well.
Ok I said go”

To me that suggests he has spoken to people, that he knows already, at RM and City and asked them what they think about being there.

Doesnt move us on obviously!
He is talking with his "feet", not talking with "natives" :)

No hargreaves & Dier don't count for HG. Both came through academies abroad

That is a very stupid rule especially in Dier's case Hargreaves I can partly understand, in theory you could get rejected by a club at a very young age never spend time in an academy but carry on casually playing Sunday league football, then get spotted and signed by a lower or non league club at 20 and not be homegrown as a result, they should change that even if it's say lived here for 5 years as a kid.

Ian Wright didn't sign for any club at all until his 20s so he would never be homegrown today that's batshit crazy, it's absolute madness really that if a similar situation happened this day and age, that a foreign player would have more right to be homegrown than a player with that maybe unlikely but still very possible scenario occuring.

That is a very stupid rule especially in Dier's case Hargreaves I can partly understand, in theory you could get rejected by a club at a very young age never spend time in an academy but carry on casually playing Sunday league football, then get spotted and signed by a lower or non league club at 20 and not be homegrown as a result, they should change that even if it's say lived here for 5 years as a kid.

Ian Wright didn't sign for any club at all until his 20s so he would never be homegrown today that's batshit crazy, it's absolute madness really that if a similar situation happened this day and age, that a foreign player would have more right to be homegrown than a player with that maybe unlikely but still very possible scenario occuring.
Wright would have been fine, amateur clubs are still registered with the FA (as far as im aware) so any 3 years in any tier would do it.

As he was born in Leeds he could have dual nationality. Where would that leave him? Presumably if he took out dual nationality he wouldn't be subject to any limit on none British players if Brexit resulted in changes to who was an overseas player.

As he was born in Leeds he could have dual nationality. Where would that leave him? Presumably if he took out dual nationality he wouldn't be subject to any limit on none British players if Brexit resulted in changes to who was an overseas player.
Has no bearing on the rules.

Yeah but it's still an interesting enquiry I've always wondered about... I mean take Owen Hargreaves for instance was he actually seen as homegrown? Because he certainly wasn't by that interpretation of the law he wasn't born here and never lived here as a kid, Haaland did both for a while so in a certain sense he has more right to be classed as homegrown than a former England international.

Does birth here alone let you be classified as homegrown cos if not it should by common sense really, just look around there's clear cases right now of English/British/Irish kids playing abroad in foreign academies, they won't ever serve the 3 year term in their own nations or here, then you get foreign kids joining a club at 15 till 20 in England that equals homegrown, before they return to their home nation where they aren't recognised as having eligible home grown status, surely that's incorrect and can't strictly be right how would that be fair on the English or foreign born kid not being homegrown in their birth country?

There must be some kinda loophole but I've never seen a clear answer for it anywhere, personally I've never checked but it seems a very weird rule to me if Haaland isn't eligible, Giovanni Reyna at Dortmund is the same he should defo be homegrown here, both him and Haaland spent close to or over the first 4 years of their lives predominantly living here.
Remember when Jack Charlton was rep of Ireland manager most of the players he picked had no discernible connections to Ireland apart from maybe owning an Irish wolfhound.

That's the rules as they stand but there was a threat to consider all foreign born players as overseas players by the UK government after we left the EU. As a Dual National he wouldn't have to apply for a work permit.
Top tier athlete exception, he'll prob be fine. Wouldn't hurt but doubt it'll be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.