ESPN commentators

samharris said:
zangatangring said:
Sorry Americans, people on this forum can be so stupid. I wonder what you guys think of our American football coverage.

kissass... no really why do they use different terminology ?? if the Yanks really want to embrace the sport then youd think they would introduce the correct meanings for this game..
What happens if someone from the states comes to England/Brittain and watches a game on telly ?? they wont understand the commentators.

Our Abbrieviation is MCFC Manchester City Football Club..
Not MCSC Manchester City Soccer Club..
FIFA is "Federation International de Football Association"
UEFA is "Union of European Football assciations"

The world Bodies Of which the USA are members and European Bodies are using the word "Football"..

Just saying like...
Yes, but since Brazil, Italy, Germany, and Spain play better football than England, we should copy their terminology instead.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YA BEAUTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Not saying they were good, but some of the comments here are a bit over the top. Special thanks to those that feel the need to 'educate' the american fans on here. Really put us yanks in our place.

zangatangring said:
taconinja said:
zangatangring said:
Sorry Americans, people on this forum can be so stupid. I wonder what you guys think of our American football coverage.
It's funny to me at times as the terminology isn't always correct, but it's not something I either care about or get worked up about.

This. ;).

-- Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:40 pm --

samharris said:
zangatangring said:

kissass... no really why do they use different terminology ?? if the Yanks really want to embrace the sport then youd think they would introduce the correct meanings for this game..
What happens if someone from the states comes to England/Brittain and watches a game on telly ?? they wont understand the commentators.

The world Bodies Of which the USA are members and European Bodies are using the word "Football"..

Just saying like...

lol good 'un mate ;).

There's no such thing as 'correct' terminology. It's all subjective. America has a different culture so how do you expect them to conform to our terminology when the audience is primarily american?

This is the reason I think that Football in America will always be a fad rather than an accepted sport..

Too many established sports have a strong afinity with the people. Baseball,American Football,Basketball,etc.

BTW, what country created the term "soccer" for football? Could someone answer me that?

:)

rhetorical question, as I'm sure most of us know the answer.

taconinja said:
samharris said:
zangatangring said:

Just saying like...
Yes, but since Brazil, Italy, Germany, and Spain play better football than England, we should copy their terminology instead.

Please do tell me any Brazilian terminology you know ..all I know is..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL. ;)

I must admit that I didn't like the commentary either. The American sports obsession with numbers/stats/figures for players does get on my nerves, hence the mentioning how many apperances players had quite often. To be honest, from watching other American sports I was expecting to see some sort of percentages (written as decimals obviously) showing shots on target per shots, or successful passes per atempted. The other thing that really bugged me was how often they just ignored what was happening on the pitch to talk about someting else - this coupled with the wide angle lens mentioned earlier made it hard to know who had the ball at times. I think this comes from other American sports as well where the action is so slow and start stop that they have to waffle on about other stuff.

Anyway I felt that I had to post my feelings (a very rare occurance) as it did make me pleased to have the commentary (biased as it is) that we get.

Maybe Andy Gray should go over and do some commentary in the USA...

samharris said:
taconinja said:
samharris said:

Just saying like...

Please do tell me any Brazilian terminology you know ..all I know is..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL. ;)
Sounds good to me! ;)

SamTheGuru said:
I have to say I quite enjoyed the commentary from laughing at their expense but I couldn't take 1 more game of it.

Some classics that were repeated over and over.

"The Belgian Vincent Kompany"
"The veteran Savic"
"The 30 year old Gareth Barry"
"The England No. 1 Joe Hart"

I am sure the list could go on and on.
I have seen this 2ice now and must say I se nothing wrong with it. Savic is a veteran. He has played for his national team and was the captain of hid Europa league team before joining City. That is the a Veteran of the game in my opinion.
Besides commentary using hyperbolic adjectives to contrast players is neither new nor American.

Come to think of it, there really is nothing wrong with any of the above. The 30 year old is a bit odd. But the Belgian Vincent Kompany is appropriate.It is calling the viewers attention to the international nature of these big clubs that come to play against their MLS teams. And I have on many occasions heard English Commentators say the "Muntari, the Ghanian International" Muntari, or the "Nigerian international" when they don't feel like saying Odemweinge. The real problem here is the fact that these guys no FA about the players, so the statement "The Belgian VIncent Kompany" just hangs like a chad. (yeah, that's an American reference too :P).<br /><br />-- Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 pm --<br /><br />
Vienna_70 said:
My favourite Sports commentator of all is American.

John Madden, an American Football commentator, who has now retired, was the most knowledgable of any.

He coached the Oakland Raiders for ten seasons and won the Superbowl in 1977.
Hell No!!! John Madden was shaitte!!!

JoshuaJDuckworth said:
I must admit that I didn't like the commentary either. The American sports obsession with numbers/stats/figures for players does get on my nerves, hence the mentioning how many apperances players had quite often. To be honest, from watching other American sports I was expecting to see some sort of percentages (written as decimals obviously) showing shots on target per shots, or successful passes per atempted. The other thing that really bugged me was how often they just ignored what was happening on the pitch to talk about someting else - this coupled with the wide angle lens mentioned earlier made it hard to know who had the ball at times. I think this comes from other American sports as well where the action is so slow and start stop that they have to waffle on about other stuff.

Anyway I felt that I had to post my feelings (a very rare occurance) as it did make me pleased to have the commentary (biased as it is) that we get.

Maybe Andy Gray should go over and do some commentary in the USA...

The reason we Americans are more obsessed with stats is cause our sports (especially baseball) can easily be quantified and summed up in stats. In soccer/football it can't so it's just silly to try and do so, but again they're trying to cater to the fans of other sports who don't know what we call soccer well.

De Jong was called De Young all through the game and many times they got the player names mixed up.

I have just read Twellman's Wikipedia entry and can understand why he seemed so paranoid about Gael's clash of heads. Concussions and head injuries ended his career so fair does to the guy. He was thinking about Gael's welfare.

As for the terminology it was quite enlightening not having listened to American commentary before. They seemed to be quite opinionated about everything but not much different from Green over here so I wouldn't pick them out especially.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.