Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Just look at a video of City fans at Blackburn ten years ago, our support was loads better than it is now. We’ve been spoilt over the years with the football, it’s definitely made us all a bit boring, if that’s the correct word for it. 7000 City fans all doing the poznan and screaming City after it, bring it back!
Wembley is the barometer for me. We had brilliant atmospheres for our three trips to Wembley in 2011, our two trips in 2013 and our first trip in 2014.

We even had about ¾ of the attendance in the 2013 FA Cup final.

But starting from that Arsenal Community Shield in 2014 we’ve dipped massively down there. Now everyone just takes it for granted. We have loads of empty seats at FA Cup semis and Community Shields, we don’t really sing much, and the majority are not actively involved in the game in the stands anymore even in EFL and FA Cup finals.

If we played Brentford in the FA Cup final next May, there’s no way we’d fill ¾ of the ground like we did against Wigan. Just wouldn’t happen anymore.

It’s like someone left our fanbase on for too long and our batteries are dying. We need plugging in and charging up again.

I do have to say that I’ve been impressed with our little singing sections this season since the rail seats have gone in, but the rest of the ground are as quiet as ever. And were excellent away at Leicester, but at our worst away at Spurs.

Wembley is the barometer for me. We had brilliant atmospheres for our three trips to Wembley in 2011, our two trips in 2013 and our first trip in 2014.

We even had about ¾ of the attendance in the 2013 FA Cup final.

But starting from that Arsenal Community Shield in 2014 we’ve dipped massively down there. Now everyone just takes it for granted. We have loads of empty seats at FA Cup semis and Community Shields, we don’t really sing much, and the majority are not actively involved in the game in the stands anymore even in EFL and FA Cup finals.

If we played Brentford in the FA Cup final next May, there’s no way we’d fill ¾ of the ground like we did against Wigan. Just wouldn’t happen anymore.

It’s like someone left our fanbase on for too long and our batteries are dying. We need plugging in and charging up again.

I do have to say that I’ve been impressed with our little singing sections this season since the rail seats have gone in, but the rest of the ground are as quiet as ever. And were excellent away at Leicester, but at our worst away at Spurs.

Our Wembley support is mostly always boring. Last few finals have been dead and I think a lot of the people in our end are tourists. It’s sort of understandable considering we go to Wembley every season, but it’s still disappointing.

No one ever said cheering and singing is mandatory whilst attending the match, it's just not on the ticket.
I've been following City since the early 60's and my own personal behaviour at matches has changed with age.
The last time I got animated at a match was the CL game against Scousers blood was boiling, but at my age its a rare thing.
Fwiw I think the age profile of our support has gone a long way to quietening us down. I also think our style of play doesn't lend itself to the crowd urgeing the team on in the same old way.
For my part it's not entitlement or apathy I just don't behave like I used to.

No one ever said cheering and singing is mandatory whilst attending the match, it's just not on the ticket.
I've been following City since the early 60's and my own personal behaviour at matches has changed with age.
The last time I got animated at a match was the CL game against Scousers blood was boiling, but at my age its a rare thing.
Fwiw I think the age profile of our support has gone a long way to quietening us down. I also think our style of play doesn't lend itself to the crowd urgeing the team on in the same old way.
I agree about style of play, it's more wow than roaring them on.

What do you mean about age of the fanbase? Older or younger?

Think generally the fan base seems to on the older side.
Definitely.

Remember when we did that 360° camera shot during the home game against Barcelona? It was very noticeable that we had a lot of older fans when you swung around that picture.

Went to Newcastle a few years ago the day after Boxing Day and my mate commented on how everyone seemed dead old stood around us. And we’re in our 30s, not like we’re 19.

For whatever reason, the Hamburg game at the Etihad, probably the best since the standing Kippax days. Agree with all your points as they mirror my thoughts, and add that the "gentrification" of football is an undeniable factor , if it carries on we'll be really more of a library or "debating society for mature adults"
Fuckin' ell.

I’m maybe ten years younger than you, I’m 56, and I’m shouting and singing for most of the game. Not an age thing IMO, I see guys near me who are half my age and not a peep out of them, ever.

After writing previously on this subject I've concluded that we shouldn't be worried about "atmosphere".
We shouldn't fall for this media induced "what a great occasion" ( special European nights ....etc)
Things change , yes I'd love a special night back in the Kippax but it ain't going to happen.
The media ramp up this crowd stuff to convince us that it really is special watching their broadcast. Generally the atmosphere in most premier grounds is sporadic , my impression any way.
Anfields a library before and after the piped in music , 70k rags ? don't get me started.
Relax the team get our support when it matters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.