Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Yesterday was always going to be flat.
freezing cold, small crowd (what ever the official attendance says. Not knocking by the way , i know of a few people who couldnt get there and we had to change last minute plans dues to a train cancellation) and a not very exciting game.

i think half the trouble is our fan base is stale. Blokes round me barely move when we score. Literally stay sat and dont cheer.
compare to PSG where none of them were there and replaced by ‘tourists’ who helped create an atmosphere

I personally think the biggest issue is we basically have two singing sections flanking the away support who often sing different songs at the same time or the same song out of sync. Plus as has been said, singing tge edin dzecko song at 100mph doesnt help.

wish the club would have taken the opportunity snd made a singing section with full fan cooperation , like the rags have done (spit)

freezing cold, small crowd (what ever the official attendance says. Not knocking by the way , i know of a few people who couldnt get there and we had to change last minute plans dues to a train cancellation) and a not very exciting game.

i think half the trouble is our fan base is stale. Blokes round me barely move when we score. Literally stay sat and dont cheer.
compare to PSG where none of them were there and replaced by ‘tourists’ who helped create an atmosphere

I personally think the biggest issue is we basically have two singing sections flanking the away support who often sing different songs at the same time or the same song out of sync. Plus as has been said, singing tge edin dzecko song at 100mph doesnt help.

wish the club would have taken the opportunity snd made a singing section with full fan cooperation , like the rags have done (spit)
Some good points Marcus that I agree with.

it was up to us the fans to make more of an atmosphere and we chose not to. Thst said, there was more support than usual in 209 lol.

The Dzeko song is sang too fast. Yet it’s still the antidote to the type of vocal City fans who were more prevalent in the past: The ones who got on a players back from start to finish regardless of the impact on the player’s performance. Dzeko’s hero status is an example of an improved atmosphere, in that regard.

I was really surprised that West Ham at home on a Sunday 2pm kick off during a blizzard was a bit of a flat atmosphere..!

Genuinely, there's no difference between our home atmosphere and most teams in the league. When City go to places the opposition fans are well up for it because we're a big game for them, like 15 years ago our atmosphere would have been better at home vs Arsenal for example. No disrespect to West Ham but apart from Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea I don't think there's many clubs supporters who will provide a big game atmosphere against them. It's not a derby/local match and they're not a rival as such.

And you can't compare it to away support either - most people at the game yesterday probably would have left their home at 12:30 and wanted to be home before 17:00 thinking about what's for tea. The West Ham fans yesterday on the whole would have been on the piss since 9am and knew they wouldn't be home for at least 12 hours, be exactly the same if it was the other way around.

We have haven't we? Extended South Lower and made it an official singing section, just the ones in 111 didn't move.

Ive always been of the opinion that the season card holders are the most important fans, but am starting to change my mind. Maybe we need more members tickets available and reduce the number of season ticket holders.

The club gave over Block 115 for a new singing section. My memory is a bit vague on how it all unfolded though. Trev will know. Fans were asked to move in there, but the response wasn’t great from what I remember. Those fans that did move into 115 were a mixture of people who wanted to sing as much as they could, sometimes, or not at all.(why move into 115 then?) We’ve ended up with a singing section that isn’t a really singing section.

There are a few issues.
1. We have an ageing fan base.
2. We have a fan base that doesn’t really want or like change regardless of the positives.
3. We have a growing younger fan base, late teens, twenties, early thirties, who prefer drinking on the concourse, having a laugh, staying with their mates, and doing some recreational activities. ;-) (party time)

I’ve always thought the club could have done much more to create a better and proper singing section.(club officials reading this sigh) Yes, the club gave over block 115, and pushed the singing section to an extent, but I don’t think at the time they were really committed about it about one way or another. They probably had bigger issues at the time. That’s not to say the club in conjunction with 1894 and the OSC branches didn’t try to fill 115. Whatever happened, it clearly didn’t work for some reason. Maybe it needs to be revisited again in the near future?

To this day we’re still left with scattered singers in 116, 115, 114, 111, 110, 109. Unfortunately those singers are mixed in with people who only sing after a goal, or don’t want to sing at all.(not having a pop at them) Until all those singers in those blocks are brought together, and they make the effort to come together in 1 block, nothing will change at the Etihad.

United.

United have worked much more closely with their various fan groups over a long length of time to create a proper singing section, which is located in the top corner, under the roof, between the main stand and the Stretford End. United encouraged fans through various channels to apply to go into the singing section. It was over subscribed. United also encouraged fans who didn’t want to sing and didn’t want to remain in the new and proposed singing section to relocate to another part of the stadium. United also have a much younger fan base with many in their late teens, twenties, and early thirties. The different United fan groups are more structured, work more closely together, and work with the club more.

United's new singing section holds 2000 fans. As you can see from the pictures the vast majority of United fans in the singing section are male, young and vocal. The type of fan you you’d associate with a proper singing section. TBH I don’t like giving United fans any credit, but the United fans that have moved into and filled their singing section have improved the atmosphere at Old Trafford.

1638182887766.jpeg

1638181321135.jpeg

1638181386243.jpeg

Last edited:
The club gave over Block 115 for a new singing section. My memory is a bit vague on how it all unfolded though. Trev will know. Fans were asked to move in there, but the response wasn’t great from what I remember. Those fans that did move into 115 were a mixture of people who wanted to sing as much as they could, sometimes, or not at all.(why move into 115 then?) We’ve ended up with a singing section that isn’t a really singing section.

There are a few issues.
1. We have an ageing fan base.
2. We have a fan base that doesn’t really want or like change regardless of the positives.
3. We have a growing younger fan base, late teens, twenties, early thirties, who prefer drinking on the concourse, having a laugh, staying with their mates, and doing some recreational activities. ;-) (party time)

I’ve always thought the club could have done much more to create a better and proper singing section.(club officials reading this sigh) Yes, the club gave over block 115, and pushed the singing section to an extent, but I don’t think at the time they were really committed about it about one way or another. They probably had bigger issues at the time. That’s not to say the club in conjunction with 1894 and the OSC branches didn’t try to fill 115. Whatever happened, it clearly didn’t work for some reason. Maybe it needs to be revisited again in the near future?

To this day we’re still left with scattered singers in 116, 115, 114, 111, 110, 109. Unfortunately those singers are mixed in with people who only sing after a goal, or don’t want to sing at all.(not having a pop at them) Until all those singers in those blocks are brought together, and they make the effort to come together in 1 block, nothing will change at the Etihad.

United.

United have worked much more closely with their various fan groups over a long length of time to create a proper singing section, which is located in the top corner, under the roof, between the main stand and the Stretford End. United encouraged fans through various channels to apply to go into the singing section. It was over subscribed. United also encouraged fans who didn’t want to sing and didn’t want to remain in the new and proposed singing section to relocate to another part of the stadium. United also have a much younger fan base with many in their late teens, twenties, and early thirties. The different United fan groups are more structured, work more closely together, and work with the club more.

United's new singing section holds 2000 fans. As you can see from the pictures the vast majority of United fans in the singing section are male, young and vocal. The type of fan you you’d associate with a proper singing section. TBH I don’t like giving United fans any credit, but the United fans that have moved into and filled their singing section have improved the atmosphere at Old Trafford.

View attachment 30763

View attachment 30760

View attachment 30761
The last Derby at Old Trafford was one of the quietest from the home fans I have attended there in 50 years. Admittedly they hardly touched the ball but I was not impressed. Not saying it's a bad idea to have singing sections but I just don't rate the atmosphere at Old Trafford. From what I can see they are regularly outshouted by the away fans. I will give them credit for their away following, though even they have been very quiet at our place in recent years.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not blaming him, but I do think pep's style of play is a big factor in the poor atmosphere - and yes it is poor.
We play high possession, lots of passing and controlling games. That doesn't create the same level of excitement it would if it were a bit more high tempo and end to end.
Also, the fact we have been pretty dominant over the past few years means there is an expectation that we will win and we are just waiting until we score and there is no need to get behind the team because they don't need it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.