Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Will probably get stick for this but some of our some of songs are proper shite. Can't speak for anyone else but I'm bored of always hearing about the Rags. They are irrelevant and should be ignored unless we are playing them.

The Chelsea game was alright atmosphere-wise. Considering the KO time and the playing style of our opposition, it can be pretty hard to create a racket for 90 minutes.

There's too much focus on songs/singing sections and so on. Songs only play a tiny part in the 'atmosphere'.

Booing/whistling the opposition. Goading the away players and fans. Shouting at the referee. Cheering when they make a mistake. Applauding our team when they do something good. Waving a scarf around your head after we score. Seeing them off the pitch at the end of the game.

Our issue is that 95% of fans sit in complete silence other than when a goal goes in. If we could get another 10/20% of our fans doing all of the above, it would make a much more significant difference to our atmosphere than 'singing old classic songs rather than the Dzeko one'.

However, all of this pales into insignificance when you look at how the club manages our atmosphere.

- Digital advertising boards, so no banners.
- Corporate sections in SSL2 (increasing the distance between vocal fans in SSL1 and SSL3).
- Tunnel club embarrassment encourages fans to stay away from the stands before players walk out.
- Expensive beer on the concourse (so people drink elsewhere).
- The whole ticketing fiasco this year.
- The most enormous and prominent family stand in world football - situated at the end we attack in the second half - right in the view line of all the TV cameras - this is utter madness.
- Fluorescent, bright blue seats that stand out a mile off if they're unoccupied.
- £50 for the cheapest adult ticket in the weeks before Christmas (as well as ticket prices in general).
- Chart music pumped out so loud pre-match that you can't even have a conversation with the person standing next to you (no wonder people don't get in their seats early).

Our atmosphere is actually quite reasonable considering those factors. We're struggling to keep the atmosphere going because of the legacy decisions and lack of foresight when moving to the new ground.

It would help the noise increase if in the SS there wasnt the tier 2 corporate seats, it splits up a connection between level one & two. Although the SS looks a great design, atmosphere wise it hasnt helped. Like JRB said with one end at leeds, gives more chance for songs to spread and 3000 sing rather than 500.

It is good that we sing about players, we sing more player songs and our own mocking than we do club anthems. I would prefer a mix, but you need the long standing club anthems so that fans know the words and can join in. Whilst the Diaz song is good, it mumbles a bit when sung at home, perhaps will pick up a bit further down the lines. It is a shame about the bernardo song, that picked up good pace but nobody knows what to sing at the end now.

as much as we are fed up of zabba song and edin song, they do pick up well and carry on. Shame that "sterling won the double" was only a one season song, that was very loud and easy to sing.

two of most memorable away games for me where the home ends have been good where Hull city a few seasons back and wolves before covid.

i think with us city fans we dont want an organised singing section, they dont want a drum but would bang on steel plates at the back of stands, if its nil nil and boring we go quiet, for long periods of the game the bar & a drink is more important. But when it gets rocking ( example leeds / leicester / PSG at home ) there are not many nosier places around and its better than an away day.

There’s over 5k in the South Stand safe standing area. That area was as quiet as the family stand for most of the game against Chelsea.

Will probably get stick for this but some of our some of songs are proper shite. Can't speak for anyone else but I'm bored of always hearing about the Rags. They are irrelevant and should be ignored unless we are playing them.
lack of originality across PL is more irrritating for me - everyone seems to have the same generic shite tunes, but with slightly adapted lyrics. Always thought the chorus of story of the blues pt 1 by the mighty wah would make a good city anthem....

Considering were tearing the league up. Our atmosphere home and away this year has been shocking. We have become spoilt and our fan base has to be the oldest in the league. Apart from in the south stand and the singing stand everyone looks over 50
Have you been to any/many away games this year?

I have been to most and as always our support is outstanding.

The quietest I have heard our away support was at Swindon - but that was an utterly freezing Friday night after a long trip - but even then the amount that travelled was excellent

Last edited:
Absolute rubbish about the away part. We’ve now got one of the best reputations away from home for our support. I’ve said this before on here but it’s now common that when we get emptihad jibes online it’s caveated with “yeah but to be fair their away fans are class”.

I’ve seen Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham, Spurs all say we had the best away following at theirs this season.
Our away support is and always has been one of the best and goes all the way back to the mid 70s when we took vast followings to many grounds.

Considering were tearing the league up. Our atmosphere home and away this year has been shocking. We have become spoilt and our fan base has to be the oldest in the league. Apart from in the south stand and the singing stand everyone looks over 50
I guess you don’t go to away games then.

I'm not sure there's that much of a correlation between Klopp coming out with that criticism of Liverpool fans early in his reign and the uptick in atmosphere over the next few seasons. I'd wager that Liverpool improving on the pitch year on year, culminating in the title winning season, had as much to do with the improvement in atmosphere as anything else. Now that they've regressed a little, there's also been a drop-off in atmosphere which backs up what many say about English club atmospheres - a lot of it is governed by how well the team is playing at the time. I made reference to Huddersfield in an earlier post and how fantastic their fans were in their first PL season in 2017/18. That was the season we went there and won late on after going behind at half time, and our away support was a comfortable second best to their home support that day. The following season we went there and won when Huddersfield were rock bottom of the league, and their fans were markedly much quieter that day compared to the previous season, so much so that the City fans basically had the run of the stadium atmosphere-wise.
It's a bit chicken and egg really isn't it.

That draw against West Brom where they did the bow and got mocked was about sending a message that the crowd played a role in helping them win. Obviously, if they didn't keep winning it wouldn't have continued, but he worked hard to make them feel valuable and important, and clearly the crowd, whether in big decisions or big games, have helped Liverpool, most obviously against us in terms of decisions and the Barcelona game in terms of atmosphere. But it's also down to the players on the pitch to get the crowd going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.