Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

It’s Leeds fans first real season in the PL. Big games. Sold out every match. I remember watching Leeds when they were shit. They couldn’t fill Elland Road, and the atmosphere was shite. But they do have a proper end behind the goal. And the other stands join in the singing.

As for Wolves, they‘ve got two proper ends, one behind each goal, full of ordinary fans. There are no corporate areas, expensive seats, restaurants, bars, and executive boxes.
Leeds have got 2 ends. The Kop and the South Stand. The Kop holds more fans but the South Stand includes the recognised singing section. Both ends start songs.

The atmosphere tends to be decent for the first hour of games (nothing special) but gets ramped up when they start singing, their “Champions of Europe” chant. I’ve been to Elland Road 3 times this season and it’s been absolutely rocking for the last half hour on 2 of those occasions.

For years the Anfield atmosphere truly was a myth! But there was a bit of a storm amongst their own fans about it early in Klopp’s reign after some comments Klopp made (“I felt like I was on my own at the end” after loads of early leavers, and “it was very quiet today, we need the fans to get behind us more” after a draw they struggled in and the fans were shit), and there was that Liverpool fan on RedmenTV who was slating their fanbase… and they proper sorted themselves out.

I reckon that in the three years before Covid started, Anfield was the best in the country for regular good atmospheres (I’ve not really watched them much this season to say if thats carried on).

Even Pep mentioned how loud the atmosphere is at Anfield in a Catalan TV interview about 18 months ago.

I think it’s all too easy to say how much of a myth their atmosphere is just because that was the case for a few decades. But they were proactive in doing something about it. They get new songs on their fan channels, they have Saturday night events aimed at young adults in a live music club sort of venue where bands play Liverpool songs, and they have the advantage of a 12,500 Kop… their fans quickly pick up the lyrics to new songs.

We have nothing like that. You could tap someone on the shoulder in the East Stand, Colin Bell or Family Stand and ask him what the words are to “Empty Seats at home” or “Ruben Dias…” and I bet bloody loads wouldn’t be able to tell you.
Some fair points there. I remember Klopp complaining about the early leavers and that's why I think people have got the wrong end of the stick with some of Pep's comments. The difference is the media didn't try and twist Klopp's words because they aren't trying to push a narrative that Liverpool don't have any fans all the time.

If the Liverpool support did respond to criticism by becoming more organised and proactive, then they do deserve credit, as much as I hate to say it. It's quite surprising though, because nobody seems to take criticism worse than a Liverpool fan.

Maybe, the sense that they have to uphold the misguided belief that they have "the most passionate fans in the world" or "this means more, to us la", played a part in how they reacted.

City fans generally aren't self important in that way IMO. They don't suddenly turn into superfans on CL nights because they know the Champions League cameras will be panning around the stadium.

City's fanbase is more:

"Don't tell me what to do... I'll leave even earlier next week just to spite you. It's my money and my time"... etc

or

"Wasting your time, nothing we do will make a blind bit of a difference to the atmosphere. It is what it is"

Some fair points there. I remember Klopp complaining about the early leavers and that's why I think people have got the wrong end of the stick with some of Pep's comments. The difference is the media didn't try and twist Klopp's words because they aren't trying to push a narrative that Liverpool don't have any fans all the time.

If the Liverpool support did respond to criticism by becoming more organised and proactive, then they do deserve credit, as much as I hate to say it. It's quite surprising though, because nobody seems to take criticism worse than a Liverpool fan.

Maybe, the sense that they have to uphold the misguided belief that they have "the most passionate fans in the world" or "this means more, to us la", played a part in how they reacted.

City fans generally aren't self important in that way IMO. They don't suddenly turn into superfans on CL nights because they know the Champions League cameras will be panning around the stadium.

City's fanbase is more:

"Don't tell me what to do... I'll leave even earlier next week just to spite you. It's my money and my time"... etc

or

"Wasting your time, nothing we do will make a blind bit of a difference to the atmosphere. It is what it is"
The bottom paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Leeds have got 2 ends. The Kop and the South Stand. The Kop holds more fans but the South Stand includes the recognised singing section. Both ends start songs.

The atmosphere tends to be decent for the first hour of games (nothing special) but gets ramped up when they start singing, their “Champions of Europe” chant. I’ve been to Elland Road 3 times this season and it’s been absolutely rocking for the last half hour on 2 of those occasions.
Their South stand is no different to our South stand, then.

How about we compare their KOP and our North stand?(Family stand)

Bar we are Leeds, marching all together, we are the champions of, and waving scarfs around, what other chants do they have?

Leeds have always had decent support. I’ll admit that. They are a one club city, so everybody, young, middle aged, and old supports Leeds United. They also have a large support across Yorkshire. They will always have a young and vocal support. They are exactly like Newcastle United in that sense. But like plenty of new clubs and their fans to the PL, it’s a novelty at first, until they start getting beat, then the novelty of the PL begins to ware off. Leeds United are a PL club in size, history, and in name, and they deserve to stay in the PL if they can?

Their South stand is no different to our South stand, then.

How about we compare their KOP and our North stand?(Family stand)

Bar we are Leeds, marching all together, we are the champions of, and waving scarfs around, what other chants do they have?

Leeds have always had decent support. I’ll admit that. They are a one club city, so everybody, young, middle aged, and old supports Leeds United. They also have a large support across Yorkshire. They will always have a young and vocal support. They are exactly like Newcastle United in that sense. But like plenty of new clubs and their fans to the PL, it’s a novelty at first, until they start getting beat, then the novelty of the PL begins to ware off. Leeds United are a PL club in size, history, and in name, and they deserve to stay in the PL if they can?
I was just adding some info JRB. FWIW, the 3rd gane I’ve been to at Elland Road this season was a Sunday lunchtime game against Brentford and the atmosphere was poor and plenty of Leeds fans had left before the last minute equaliser.

I think it’s been pointed out that we struggle to get good new songs adopted around the ground. The more vocal fan bases seem to have overcome this. For example, a few years ago when Leeds were in the play off semi final against Derby, one of their fans made up a song, “Stop Crying Frank Lampard” (days before the 2nd leg). The song wad shared on social media and 30 odd thousand Leeds fans are singing it at the top of their voices at the match. We would still be suggesting tweaks to the wording.

The efforts of 1884 are great but we don’t have enough passionate fans who want to create a good atmosphere at home games. People on here were moaning about the Dzeko and Zaba songs being sung on Saturday but they include lines about us winning the League, when many of our fans are too hesitant / nervous so sing’ We’re gonna Win the League”

Each to their own and people make their own choices about whether to contribute to the atmosphere.

Considering were tearing the league up. Our atmosphere home and away this year has been shocking. We have become spoilt and our fan base has to be the oldest in the league. Apart from in the south stand and the singing stand everyone looks over 50

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.