Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Great post mate. Appreciate everything you are doing and agree it won’t work without buy-in.

On a side note, any chance you can twist a few arms and get the club to stop playing the fast version of Blue Moon?! Not the most pressing priority by any means I know, it’s just a bug bear of mine and a number of others on here!! :)
you wouldn't recommend that in the workplace Eric?

Well, it sounds like the club doesn't want to help itself, other clubs like Rangers, and Celtic are encouraging it. The Bundesliga encourage it, City has loads of young supporters so why can't they do it?

Two secs I am away to find my cloth cap so I sent it to Dave ...... so he can go to the game after he had been down the pit

Why o why are we calling parts of the ground singing sections, the whole ground should be signing

Well done Crystal Palace and Arsenal fans who want to make a change and improve their atmosphere!!!!!

PPD said it right that the only games city fans get up for are Liverpool and Man Utd, we have amazing away support.

I totally agree with @jrb embrace the future or we going to get left in the past
Have you been to Palace? One little part of their ground sings, fewer than sing at the Etihad, and we nearly always outsing them in our away end. 90% of the rest of their ground sit in total silence all game.

Arsenal, pah, sling it mate. Unless they’re booing us they’ve never made any noise against us since Arteta scored and Balotelli got sent off.

Why are you lying n’all? Where were you when we had fantastic atmospheres in the five home games in a row to end last season and start this against Newcastle, Villa, Bournemouth, Forest and Palace? We were very good against Fulham this season n’all in a game similar to Brentford and Everton where the team were shit in the game and it was 1-1 late in the game, the fans really got behind the team that day to get the 98th minute winner.

We did the total opposite against Brentford and Everton but our atmosphere in 2022 was the best it’s been for about a decade. We’ve just been shit over the last few home Prem games and all the ‘Ultras’ shit gets posted.

What’s all this ‘embrace the future’ stuff? Ultras have been around for 50 years in Italy and that kind of support (not called ‘Ultras’) in Argentina has been a round for even longer. It’s not the future in any way. It’s old-hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I say to the Missus, size doesn't matter. I remember going to Santander away in 2008 (capacity 20,000) - atmosphere was electric in a dead rubber European game.

I go to most away games, and the excellent idea to give tickets to the youngsters has definitely made our already excellent away support even louder (although I would like them to lay off the coke and concourse instagram nonsense). So we know when we are compact and together, we can be as loud as any support.

The problem is all the shite (DJ music rubbish, light shows, announcers, etc) that's become part of modern top flight football. The tourists love it (god bless them and their half and half scarves), and the total saturation of football on every handheld device and TV. The 'uniqueness' of the game has gone for most, and the poor design of the Etihad with the prawn sandwich eaters (who only ever appear 10 mins after half time) slicing through the tiers means its never going to happen. We will never have that sense of the Kippax - or even the old Main Stand at Maine Road (I used to sit) which still rocked on Derby day.

Thats 'progress' I am told. And as much as I love what's happened to us since the take over (and I honestly am very grateful for the last decade), its all about CFG creating a global content platform. A year without fans, showed them its possible to still sell shirts and football TV subscriptions in Malaysia, so as much as I would like to think otherwise, any new stand will just be about more corporate space and more expensive seats for tourists.

Controversial point, but I have always thought we were a 40,000 or so club of loyal, mad, loud fans - and I am very happy with that. I really don't care how big my stadium is, or how many shirts we sell in Singapore. I would have never have built the South Stand - and it recalls a conversation with the great David Bernstein who told me once that the moment a fan sees an empty Blue seat on telly, they know they can more or less pick and choose what game to go to, and both atmosphere and attendance can be impacted. I think he was right, and that is a big worry with the new extension - but then I am just an old grumpy legacy fan who would rather be watching us play Chesterfield in front of 40,000 loud and proud Blues than Barcelona in front of 60,000 silent tourists.

As I say to the Missus, size doesn't matter. I remember going to Santander away in 2008 (capacity 20,000) - atmosphere was electric in a dead rubber European game.

I go to most away games, and the excellent idea to give tickets to the youngsters has definitely made our already excellent away support even louder (although I would like them to lay off the coke and concourse instagram nonsense). So we know when we are compact and together, we can be as loud as any support.

The problem is all the shite (DJ music rubbish, light shows, announcers, etc) that's become part of modern top flight football. The tourists love it (god bless them and their half and half scarves), and the total saturation of football on every handheld device and TV. The 'uniqueness' of the game has gone for most, and the poor design of the Etihad with the prawn sandwich eaters (who only ever appear 10 mins after half time) slicing through the tiers means its never going to happen. We will never have that sense of the Kippax - or even the old Main Stand at Maine Road (I used to sit) which still rocked on Derby day.

Thats 'progress' I am told. And as much as I love what's happened to us since the take over (and I honestly am very grateful for the last decade), its all about CFG creating a global content platform. A year without fans, showed them its possible to still sell shirts and football TV subscriptions in Malaysia, so as much as I would like to think otherwise, any new stand will just be about more corporate space and more expensive seats for tourists.

Controversial point, but I have always thought we were a 40,000 or so club of loyal, mad, loud fans - and I am very happy with that. I really don't care how big my stadium is, or how many shirts we sell in Singapore. I would have never have built the South Stand - and it recalls a conversation with the great David Bernstein who told me once that the moment a fan sees an empty Blue seat on telly, they know they can more or less pick and choose what game to go to, and both atmosphere and attendance can be impacted. I think he was right, and that is a big worry with the new extension - but then I am just an old grumpy legacy fan who would rather be watching us play Chesterfield in front of 40,000 loud and proud Blues than Barcelona in front of 60,000 silent tourists.
Great post!

one last time, the north stand is looking extremely likely to be two tier. It is not going to be a stand focused on corporate. There will be enough room in the massive new stand to offer various ways to watch the game. We are having meetings with the club on what we can do to help it improve the atmosphere, but of course there are no official new shape plans submitted yet therefore it is early days.

i dont think we will improve the singing until fans realise that the reason why the atmosphere is quiet is because fans dont join in and choose not to sing. Cheap beer, getting rid of neon signs, not playing concourse music and so on wont change the atmosphere. Fans wishing to sing / improve atmosphere need to move in to areas where singers congregate and sing rather than rushing to the bar or looking at mobiles.

It is a culture in the premier league that we seem to have, tourists arent to blame, we have enough passionate noisy singers amongst the 55k crowd to make it work.

Over the next 12 / 18 months we will arrange meetings to discuss ideas, pre offer tickets in the redeveloped north stand. Please everyone buy in to it because this will be our last chance.

Great post mate. Fingers crossed what you said about a second tier in the north stand is true. I think that’s our last chance at creating something special ( proper home end). I’d happily move into that tier

Would love it to be a two tier home end and for us to move onto new things to whinge about like "why is our home end atmosphere shite" or "what fucker brought a drum into the home end?"

In all seriousness, the atmosphere is pretty decent and can be electric at times. Sometimes it's a bit flat and that happens. It happens to the players, it happens in the crowd. Just the mood at the time. But when the team need us we usually step up and deliver and it's buzzing. I couldn't think of anything better than the atmosphere when we beat QPR to win the title, or against Villa. I couldn't think of anything worse than a drum banging the same beat and a load of fans singing the same song. The rollercoaster of the game should be matched by the noise. When you're digging in you cheer each tackle, boo each touch from the opposition. When you need a goal you ramp up the Come on City's and Blue Moon's and you drag the team to find another level. That's all part of the theatre of watching football for me. The same song going on for 20 minutes whilst a drum beats and a guy cheerleads is shite, it's not the future and we don't need to copy it.

one last time, the north stand is looking extremely likely to be two tier. It is not going to be a stand focused on corporate. There will be enough room in the massive new stand to offer various ways to watch the game. We are having meetings with the club on what we can do to help it improve the atmosphere, but of course there are no official new shape plans submitted yet therefore it is early days.

i dont think we will improve the singing until fans realise that the reason why the atmosphere is quiet is because fans dont join in and choose not to sing. Cheap beer, getting rid of neon signs, not playing concourse music and so on wont change the atmosphere. Fans wishing to sing / improve atmosphere need to move in to areas where singers congregate and sing rather than rushing to the bar or looking at mobiles.

It is a culture in the premier league that we seem to have, tourists arent to blame, we have enough passionate noisy singers amongst the 55k crowd to make it work.

Over the next 12 / 18 months we will arrange meetings to discuss ideas, pre offer tickets in the redeveloped north stand. Please everyone buy in to it because this will be our last chance.
Why do the club not come out and say this? An ultra section is needed at the ground, hopefully you are right

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.