Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

one last time, the north stand is looking extremely likely to be two tier. It is not going to be a stand focused on corporate. There will be enough room in the massive new stand to offer various ways to watch the game. We are having meetings with the club on what we can do to help it improve the atmosphere, but of course there are no official new shape plans submitted yet therefore it is early days.

i dont think we will improve the singing until fans realise that the reason why the atmosphere is quiet is because fans dont join in and choose not to sing. Cheap beer, getting rid of neon signs, not playing concourse music and so on wont change the atmosphere. Fans wishing to sing / improve atmosphere need to move in to areas where singers congregate and sing rather than rushing to the bar or looking at mobiles.

It is a culture in the premier league that we seem to have, tourists arent to blame, we have enough passionate noisy singers amongst the 55k crowd to make it work.

Over the next 12 / 18 months we will arrange meetings to discuss ideas, pre offer tickets in the redeveloped north stand. Please everyone buy in to it because this will be our l
Why do the club not come out and say this? An ultra section is needed at the ground, hopefully you are right
‘Ultra Section’ ffs how old are you ???

I sing, I shout, I swear and I do it all without a drum or a megaphone.

I'll point to Copenhagen away as the absolute low point of what organised ultras can do to an atmosphere

Why was that Dave?

On the contrary, I was both buoyed and impressed with FC Copenhagens supporters and their support. While they sang and supported the team for 90 minutes, driving them on, and also interacting with the other stands who joined in with the chanting, the City end barley raised a chant all night. TBF it was full of well off FOCs like me and new City supporters wearing River Plate shirts.

PS. I was well-off before the 4 day trip to Copenhagen.

I’ve said it before and have said it again. To improve the atmosphere in lower profile games the stadium needs one voice, one singing section where songs spread from. The current situation is a worst case scenario. There are various ways this can be achieved.

Why was that Dave?

On the contrary, I was both buoyed and impressed with FC Copenhagens supporters and their support. While they sang and supported the team for 90 minutes, driving them on, and also interacting with the other stands who joined in with the chanting, the City end barley raised a chant all night. TBF it was full of well off FOCs like me and new City supporters wearing River Plate shirts.

PS. I was well-off before the 4 day trip to Copenhagen.

Did they really drive them on? It looked and sounded like 2 people on the PA shouting constantly at their own supporters and banging drums, not reflecting what was happening on the pitch at all. I remember at the time, someone making the point on Bluemoon that it felt like it was almost bullying of their home support.

The beautiful thing about British football is the reaction between what happens on the pitch and the stands, not a monotonous noise driven by a couple of narcissists who feel it is their duty to dictate what is sung and when. When an opponent slides in on our players I want to stadium to rise as one and scream ay him and the Ref, not be chanting along to yet another ultra hit.

It reminds me of the South African World Cup, it was brutal to watch with the noise bearing no relationship to what's happening on the pitch.

I think what has been lost in all this is will fans relocate to a singing area at all, or to an end? There's something special about the close interaction of away and home fans that drives singing, will people want to move from SS1 or the corner of the East Stand to the NS ?

Also what will our Ultras section actually sing? No offence, but there's maybe 4-5 songs that gets the stadium involved and that's it.

I love Edin Dzeko, but multiple times every match? So many people have no idea what the lyrics are either as it seems every new song is trying to be as complicated as possible. Follow Follow Follow (Although I love it) is the same. John Stones is the only new one that people can hear once and run with.

We haven't even got a song for Phil or Gundo, Ederson with He's Brazilian hasn't been sung for ages etc etc

Deep down though the problem is that for years now under Soriano, the cost of attending has risen over inflation and passionate fans have been priced out and to be honest the club hasn't shown much love to the vast majority of fans, it's all about day trippers and corporate.

Our fanbase is older and are less keen to bounce around on dodgy hips and knees than in their 20's. Around me up in EL3 me, my mate and maybe 10-15 others sing along to most tunes, get up and scream at the pitch etc but the support has felt better this year than the last decade, but it's a 2 way street, there has to be something to get psyched up for happening, this isn't the Beatles in the 60's, we don't scream constantly 'cos they are performing.

Lastly, the amount of half and halves, tourists, corporate, first time fans and those who can only attend 1-2 games a year who sit down and have no idea apart from a couple of chants of what to join in with.

It's a shame the club didn't ask their ST holders and Citizens if they want to relocate to an 'end' and get involved in singing to judge the demand, imagine creating a blue wall and then finding it's full of day trippers taking YouTube and TikTok videos.

p.s. do you need a GoFundMe for the Copenhagen costs ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.