Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

I hop for Dave’s sake the club do announce a double tiered North stand with a new and dedicated singing section filled with CIty fans who want to sing constantly throughout the match, wave flags and banners, use a drum, a megaphone, etc. There should be 1 spare season ticket for sale when that happens. ;-)

Can't see the club not going for a 3 tier stand, if only to ensure more hospitality dollars, but if they do go for a 2 tier stand, I expect the development of more hospitality areas in the centralised areas of the East and CB stands and relocations of supporters to the new stand. Imagine the atmosphere then !

You are right though, the year drums and megaphones wielded by wonks on ladders arrives is the year the ST gets given up unfortunately. I'll leave supporting in person to the half and half scarf wearing fan who watch the game on their phone screen and posts on social media about the City 'Ultras' !

Reactions: jrb
As you say.

The wait can’t be over soon enough.

And then we’ll truly know where the club stand in improving the atmosphere at the Etihad, and giving more younger, local and vocal City fans the opportunity to watch the team.

Younger, Local and Vocal.

Now that’s one way to push a new singing section.
Unfortunately Soriano doesn’t seem the slightest bit interested in the local bit

That’s the spirit

It's probably not a million miles off the likely scenario though.

The chances of our appointing a coach even close to the calibre of Pep Guardiola are slim to none. Forget any Arteta, Kompany, Vieira shouts; they're not going to be near the required level in two years time. Neither tactically, nor as 'elite player magnets'.

There's a potential cliff edge waiting, the club's hierarchy are well aware of it, and will be working hard to identify a successor. Whoever that is, it's very likely that they will want to put their own stamp on things rather than try to replicate Pep's processes etc.

It's going to be a 'yes man'... the City Group won't want a disruptor. It's going to be as low-risk an appointment as possible. It probably won't be any of the current big names, most of them would rock the boat too much for the Board.

It's a near impossible task. Expectation will have to be lowered (throughout the club) to give the new coach a chance. We'll end up like post-Busby/Ferguson rags if we expect to reach/maintain Pep levels of success or attendances in the first 3 or 4 seasons.

That's when we'll find out who the real Blues are.

Fingers crossed that the Board have a solid plan for the next few years.

It's probably not a million miles off the likely scenario though.

The chances of our appointing a coach even close to the calibre of Pep Guardiola are slim to none. Forget any Arteta, Kompany, Vieira shouts; they're not going to be near the required level in two years time. Neither tactically, nor as 'elite player magnets'.

There's a potential cliff edge waiting, the club's hierarchy are well aware of it, and will be working hard to identify a successor. Whoever that is, it's very likely that they will want to put their own stamp on things rather than try to replicate Pep's processes etc.

It's going to be a 'yes man'... the City Group won't want a disruptor. It's going to be as low-risk an appointment as possible. It probably won't be any of the current big names, most of them would rock the boat too much for the Board.

It's a near impossible task. Expectation will have to be lowered (throughout the club) to give the new coach a chance. We'll end up like post-Busby/Ferguson rags if we expect to reach/maintain Pep levels of success or attendances in the first 3 or 4 seasons.

That's when we'll find out who the real Blues are.

Fingers crossed that the Board have a solid plan for the next few years.
Barca and Bayern did OK immediately after he left
The former only lost the plot due to their ridiculous presidential beauty contests and electing incompetent idiots who promised the earth but delivered dirt. A bit like the UK…

Not seen any real evidence that the bigger the ground the better the atmosphere. Just another tier to split up like minded fans, and added difficulty for songs to spread around the ground in unison.

For me the stadium with the better atmospheres seems to have typically one large tier, than groups being split up across a number of tiers.

It’s not the size of the ground. I have seen numerous videos of small decrepit stands at grounds across Europe full of fans who sing. It doesn’t have to be a yellow wall size stand. The more singers massed together, the better the atmosphere is, and the more chance the singing, noise and atmosphere spreads across the ground.

It irks me to mention it again, and I’ve done so on a few occasions, United’s singing section is a very good example of that. Apart from being a success in it’s own right, it has improved the atmosphere inside OT amongst the general United fans and possibly amongst the
Prawn Sandwich Brigade, as Roy Keane famously called them.

Last edited:
Can't see the club not going for a 3 tier stand, if only to ensure more hospitality dollars, but if they do go for a 2 tier stand, I expect the development of more hospitality areas in the centralised areas of the East and CB stands and relocations of supporters to the new stand. Imagine the atmosphere then !

You are right though, the year drums and megaphones wielded by wonks on ladders arrives is the year the ST gets given up unfortunately. I'll leave supporting in person to the half and half scarf wearing fan who watch the game on their phone screen and posts on social media about the City 'Ultras' !

I settle for that Dave.

The club can roll out more corporate areas in other stands if they give us the home end we all want.

A ladder won’t be allowed. Neither will standing on the wall at the bottom of the tier. Neither will flares or smoke bombs . I doubt very much waving flags and holding up banners for 90 minutes throughout the match will catch on either. (even though I’d like to give that a go) The club may agree to a trial drum and megaphone in a new singing section, if they create one?

Rest assured Dave, any drum and/or megaphone won’t be near you, so hold fire before you decide not to renew your season ticket. :-)

Last edited:
I settle for that Dave.

The club can roll out more corporate areas in other stands if they give us the home end we all want.

A ladder won’t be allowed. Neither will standing on the wall at the bottom of the tier. Neither will flares or smoke. I doubt very much waving flags and holding up banners for 90 minutes throughout the match will catch on either. (even though I’d like to give that a go) The club may agree to a trial drum and megaphone in a new singing section, if they create one?

Rest assured Dave, any drum and/or megaphone won’t be near you, so hold fire before you decide not to renew your season ticket. :-)

I'm holding onto to it as tight as my old hands can :) Isn't the announcement due soon on the direction of travel for the North stand development?

I settle for that Dave.

A ladder won’t be allowed. Neither will standing on the wall at the bottom of the tier. Neither will flares or smoke bombs . I doubt very much waving flags and holding up banners for 90 minutes throughout the match will catch on either. (even though I’d like to give that a go) The club may agree to a trial drum and megaphone in a new singing section, if they create one?

Well, it sounds like the club doesn't want to help itself, other clubs like Rangers, and Celtic are encouraging it. The Bundesliga encourage it, City has loads of young supporters so why can't they do it?

Two secs I am away to find my cloth cap so I sent it to Dave ...... so he can go to the game after he had been down the pit

Why o why are we calling parts of the ground singing sections, the whole ground should be signing

Well done Crystal Palace and Arsenal fans who want to make a change and improve their atmosphere!!!!!

PPD said it right that the only games city fans get up for are Liverpool and Man Utd, we have amazing away support.

I totally agree with @jrb embrace the future or we going to get left in the past

It was easier though. You were stood on the kippax with thousands of others, cheap tickets, could stand where you wanted to and you were probably in a large group of young lads…. We pretty much don’t have any of that now.

Try and stand up and sing in certain areas of the ground and you get shouted at or told to sit down
I get your points blue, got to say what’s this about Young though? I’m a bit older now but I’ve still got a powerful set of lungs just like my mates. Age is not an excuse whatsoever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.