Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

You ain’t gonna get thousands relocating to the North Stand. Most are in their existing seats cause they want to be close to the away support and they won’t be giving up a seat on tier one for one up in the gods of the new stand.

The net result of the few that do relocate is that you will end up with yet another pocket of singers in the North stand and remaining pockets in the other areas. Any relocated North Stand singers will be surrounded by tourists and new fans with half and half’s sat down for the entire game filming it on an IPAD. Don’t see how that is gonna make a difference.

I just don’t get the fantasy that 40k plus supporters that haven’t made a noise for years are suddenly gonna burst into voice because of a new stand.

Your username is worrying me mate. ;-)

Amongst other things, ‘I’m not getting 40k supporters haven’t made a noise for years’.

At the start of this season everyone posting in this thread agreed the atmosphere had improved this season compared to last season. For some reason over the last few home games the atmosphere has dropped off again. Maybe Haaland not scoring a hat-trick in those home games is one of the reasons?

If City do this expansion properly and correctly, which means choosing the right expanded stand option, creating a new singing section, and consulting the fans every step of the way, there will be enough fans who will relocate, including fans coming back and new younger fans.

Last edited:
You ain’t gonna get thousands relocating to the North Stand. Most are in their existing seats cause they want to be close to the away support and they won’t be giving up a seat on tier one for one up in the gods of the new stand.

The net result of the few that do relocate is that you will end up with yet another pocket of singers in the North stand and remaining pockets in the other areas. Any relocated North Stand singers will be surrounded by tourists and new fans with half and half’s sat down for the entire game filming it on an IPAD. Don’t see how that is gonna make a difference.

I just don’t get the fantasy that 40k plus supporters that haven’t made a noise for years are suddenly gonna burst into voice because of a new stand.
I’d move into something worth moving into like a proper end

Reactions: PPT
I’d move into something worth moving into like a proper end

I’ll move to a safe standing 2nd tier. 8000-10,000 capacity . Think of a number.

I won’t relocate to NSL1 safe standing. That’s just a replica of the SSL1 safe standing

The noise and the atmosphere has to come from a new and larger NSL2 safe standing.

If what @trevorriley said about a two tiered north stand expansion comes true, then we will get exactly this. As long as it is marketed and priced correctly, specifically encouraging those in the current SSL1 singing sections and Kippax Corner to move and bring their noise with them to the North Stand. It may also encourage singers from other quieter areas of the ground to move to the North Stand so they are with like minded people, not stuck in an area where they get shouted down for singing and standing.
This is where setting up unions of supporters' clubs would help, the overall group is 1894 with other supporters groups tieing into, this is how the 3252 work and they have been voted best fans in the MLS

Great post mate. Appreciate everything you are doing and agree it won’t work without buy-in.

On a side note, any chance you can twist a few arms and get the club to stop playing the fast version of Blue Moon?! Not the most pressing priority by any means I know, it’s just a bug bear of mine and a number of others on here!! :)

we try, i agree the slow version of BM is better but it fall on deaf ones.

In replay to a few pointers. Three songs at once kills the atmosphere, happens so often within the two or three blocks in lower SS. Will it ever change ? Doubt it as the noise doesnt spread very well from front to back and fans just like to randomly sing and not listen to what has already started. Also the second one song finishes ( far to quickly ) somebody then shouts out another. It confuses fans. Answer to it is more ultras style, but you then get the fans saying they will walk out and never come back or shove a drum up somebodies arse !

a lot of the problems are "we dont like this, we dont like that, just focus on singing !

we think there arent enough singers, yet when haaland went in to a rage Vs everton, about 4 blocks all chanted "HAALAND".. apart from the odd corner with "city city city" the rest of the time those same fans decided to stay quiet and not sing.

Moving in to north stand ? If fans decide they dont want to move there then not a lot can be done, its down to the fans and we can only try our best. The south stand isnt very good for singing, the north stand expansion will be a lot more suitable. If for example Leeds away there are 3,000 wanting to travel up there then surely its not asking to much for 2,000 singers to move to the north stand rather than make excuses why they cant.

i think at most PL clubs fans would give their right arm to have the opportunity we will have when the north stand is extended, but so far we seem to only hear reasons for not moving. Just support the club and sing, rollocks to being near away fans or the bar.

This is where setting up unions of supporters' clubs would help, the overall group is 1894 with other supporters groups tieing into, this is how the 3252 work and they have been voted best fans in the MLS

it is far different in MLS, different kettle of fish altogether. We probably have similar already set up. Everything possible to set up supporters groups has been tried.
1894 will have been operating for 10 years in Sept this year, tried everything possible.

we try, i agree the slow version of BM is better but it fall on deaf ones.

In replay to a few pointers. Three songs at once kills the atmosphere, happens so often within the two or three blocks in lower SS. Will it ever change ? Doubt it as the noise doesnt spread very well from front to back and fans just like to randomly sing and not listen to what has already started. Also the second one song finishes ( far to quickly ) somebody then shouts out another. It confuses fans. Answer to it is more ultras style, but you then get the fans saying they will walk out and never come back or shove a drum up somebodies arse !

a lot of the problems are "we dont like this, we dont like that, just focus on singing !

we think there arent enough singers, yet when haaland went in to a rage Vs everton, about 4 blocks all chanted "HAALAND".. apart from the odd corner with "city city city" the rest of the time those same fans decided to stay quiet and not sing.

Moving in to north stand ? If fans decide they dont want to move there then not a lot can be done, its down to the fans and we can only try our best. The south stand isnt very good for singing, the north stand expansion will be a lot more suitable. If for example Leeds away there are 3,000 wanting to travel up there then surely its not asking to much for 2,000 singers to move to the north stand rather than make excuses why they cant.

i think at most PL clubs fans would give their right arm to have the opportunity we will have when the north stand is extended, but so far we seem to only hear reasons for not moving. Just support the club and sing, rollocks to being near away fans or the bar.
Agree with most your points and I will consider moving from ssl1 when the time comes but surely another issue regarding atmosphere is having the away fans all the way up to the 3rd tier. Why give them the best position for singing when most stadiums put them in the worst spot,? I'd be all for putting them first tier of the bell end or something but they're expensive tickets so the club would never have it! Also I like being next to them and a lot of others feel that way too! Can you imagine them in the 1st tier east stand running to the corner of the north stand and then us in the whole north stand?

I think different things need to be tried for the singing blocks in the expanded North Stand. How about 1894, the OSC and the Facebook Face Value ticket pages working together to fill these blocks with enthusiastic / vocal Blues.

The fans need to be able to regulate themselves and create obstacles to quiet or too cool to chant Blues going / staying in the new singing blocks.

You could have difficulty re-locating people to the North Stand depending on which direction they get their transport home from the stadium.
It takes me 5 minutes to walk from the Family Stand to the South Stand. The early leavers will have to depart on the 75th minute instead of the 80th if they're going Joe Mercer Way direction. Don't know whether they'll sacrifice that additional 5 minutes on top of what they already miss!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.