Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

When the club turn off the lights, blast music out, put a laser show on, with fans waving their mobile lights on in the air, how are the fans supposed to get chants and the atmosphere going before kick off?

Not only have our pleas on BM about letting the fans sing instead of having that really poor version of Blue Moon blasted out before kick off, the club has actually made the situation worse be introducing a new laser show. The haven't listened to the fans.(on here) They've convinced themselves that the majority of our match going fans want to see a laser show before kick off.

For years I prefer an away game to a home game.
It’s nice to be in a different place and a different pub where you meet the more hard core Cityfans with often familiar faces.
In the stadium you stand up together and the singing is by far better.
Imho we are always louder as an away section than the home fans. Well at least most of the time.

At home it’s often the away section that is more loud. I like to think for the very same reasons.

At home I sit down. Stand up when it gets excited and there is a steward looking at you or the ones around don’t follow or ask you to stay seated.
Try and sing sitting down to standing up. It’s simply different.
If there is a moron close to you, you can’t go and sit somewhere else.
And wherever you look you bound to see these touristfans.
Finally there’s a lot more kids at homegames. Nothing wrong with that but you hardly saw them at the Kippax and you hardly see them at away games.

It’s just the way it is I suppose.

When the club turn off the lights, blast music out, put a laser show on, with fans waving their mobile lights on in the air, how are the fans supposed to get chants and the atmosphere going before kick off?

Not only have our pleas on BM about letting the fans sing instead of having that really poor version of Blue Moon blasted out before kick off, the club has actually made the situation worse be introducing a new laser show. The haven't listened to the fans.(on here) They've convinced themselves that the majority of our match going fans want to see a laser show before kick off.
Yep. Sanitised beyond all recognition. The club caters for families and tourists. Forget Happy Flowers FC, it’s Alton Towers FC in the eyes of those responsible for the ‘match day experience’ and ticket pricing.

Posters on here (and presumably City Matters) have lobbied the club but apparently been given short shrift.

Last edited:

The corporates love all that type of shit mate. That’s why the club do it. Their complete focus in on the corporates and the revenue they bring in. That is why any normal match going fan or fan group are ignored. If they could get 55,000 corporates in the stadium each game then their mission would be complete. The game would be played in virtually total silence. But who gives a fuck? Just look at the amount of money we are making! The club don’t give a fuck about the fans or the atmosphere. If they did then they would sort the ticket pricing out and the singing section. But what do we get? A laser show with a silly voice over that kills the atmosphere flat but looks great to someone who has never been to a football game before. We need to stop kidding ourselves about the people who are in charge and run our club. They have one single aim: money. If the normal match going fan is collateral damage in achieving that then so be it.

Are the 1894 group still going? Seems to have fizzled out.

I don’t see new displays or any posts on social media anymore. I’d happily donate if they ever do that again.

Im not criticising as I think what they do is brilliant.
No idea.

I wonder if the cunts who robbed their flags have put them off and they’re just keeping a low profile now? I mean that’s fine by me, even if they just want to be their own small group of mates that keep themselves to themselves and organise things within their own group because they know they can trust each other as mates.

Maybe that’s why they’ve only posted 7 posts all season on Instagram, not posted on Twitter since 23rd December, not posted at all this season on Facebook, they haven’t got their own forum, they haven’t got their own thread on here? But even then they’ve got a YouTube channel that’s got a grand total of 2 videos on (which should be the biggest one because it’s the most easily accessible as you don’t need an account and there are loads of people like me who don’t have Twitter and Facebook accounts but do frequent YouTube) none of which have been any more recent than six years ago.

It’s no wonder so many fans don’t join in with certain chants at the Etihad. If I asked the fifty closest people to me at the Etihad what the words were to half the songs the singing section sing, I bet ¾ of them would say ‘I haven’t got a fucking clue, mate’.

Where do they learn them?
We’ve barely got any pubs around the ground anymore so there’s nowhere near enough social hubs for City fans pre/post-games to get songs going, we have no meet-up areas in Town where Blues gather pre/post-games to get songs going, we have nothing like a ‘Boss Nights’ like Liverpool fans have, a big one is that there are no organised social media platforms from any City fan groups (and I’m not taking about videos of concourse shit neither) where proper videos of our home singing section and away games are filmed and posted alregularly with the words down the bottom, we don’t have a TV channel that could have song shows on (MUTV has a United songs show, over the years on that show there’s been some of the most cringeworthy tele ever made but they work as songs are learnt and do take off), our singing section is tiny and around the stadium it’s often hard to make out what’s being sung by them, and our away ticket allocations are tiny as well (especially with City syphoning off chunks of it to nobodies, often not even City fans)… so the amount of our fanbase who are actually regularly exposed to our songs are a very small percentage of the overall fanbase.

But that’s the main reason why we have to stick to the classics at home games and at Wembley if we want a good atmosphere at those venues. Because they’re the ones that everyone knows and will join in with.

Pepole in South stand used to sing chants in concourse which got Pepole knowing the chants and got everything more upbeat before the game can't even do that anymore with the DJ blasting out random dance music

This is one way if doing it. The anthem music is turned off and the Real Madrid fans continue singing the anthem themselves leading to the crescendo.

When it gets to that annoying quick part of Blue Moon (“I said Blue Moon…) the stadium speakers should be turned down and the fans should carry on singing Blue Moon at their own pace.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.