Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

So you're trying to justify the high prices because they put on a cheesy light show?

I'd argue that kids would be happier going more frequently than as a one off treat that it probably is designed to be now. The parents/grandparents would be more inclined to take them more regularly if tickets were all £20-30 quid cheaper than having the unneccassary and cringey 'entertainment'.

If the young fans want more than just the football I hope the FOCs hold on to their season tickets as long as possible.
Kids season tickets are incredibly cheap

Kids season tickets are incredibly cheap
I'm aware of that but you mentioned an adult matchday ticket price in your comment?!! So obviously thought you meant a child matchday price which has rightly been given condemnation on here for being about £45 last night.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m just getting old but I get more passionate watching a game at home or down the pub

Once in the stadium I’m just surrounded by idiots shouting mostly negative crap, ready to moan and groan over a misplaced pass.

I’m still going (West Ham) because I don’t want my old man to be by himself - but must admit I just don’t enjoy the match day experience anymore and it’s nothing to do with the price/stadium or the football

If the club worked on providing decent facilities and adequate resource so that, if you wanted a pint or some chips, you wouldn’t have to go up early before half time or find yourself missing 5-10 mins of the second half, I think you’d find more people at their seats.

There is (obviously) a drinking culture at the football which means people like to spend pre match and half time on the concourse catching up with friends/family/etc. This is felt more at clubs like city with a local support base and community as the football is a place to see the regulars.

The club is trying all it can to get people to their seats pre match, with the light show etc, but honestly if people don’t care they don’t care. I for one would rather spend the 15 mins pre match catching up with family, who I only see at the match due to busyness and where I live, over a beer. If a light show is competing with that, it’s not going to persuade me. What does persuade me is the energy and tension of seeing the teams come out, line up and being part of a crowd that is fully behind the team. That’s why I usually aim to get to my seat just as the teams are coming out. Especially for games like the derby where the atmosphere is never lacking.

However, in games like yesterday, it’s a catch 22 - there’s no atmosphere so what’s the point in going down early, which means no one does go, which means there’s no atmosphere, and so on. Do I think the new “5 mins until the teams come out” etc that you see in screens will help? Yes I think so as it prompts me to go to my seat.

Why don’t people stay at the end after the final whistle? I presume because the stadium is located in a place with relatively poor transport links (especially for those getting the trams - as someone who used to get the Ashton tram, I recall many times getting stuck on the platform waiting for 30 mins plus). The parking is bad. The weather is bad. The queues to exit the stadium are bad. And life frankly goes on

And that to some degree that is the problem Fred. The 'real world' as we know it today is to film wherever you are be it a football game a pop concert or whatever and post it on your social media account so loads of people you have never met or will never will meet can see it and give you a 'like'. It's that what stops people becoming emotionally involved. I went to see Pete Tong at the Arena just before Christmas. The whole place was literally jumping to some serious house music being pumped out with a 42 piece orchestra behind it to back for good measure, along with a laser light show that was unbelievable. But when I took a good look around to try and take it all in, there was literally thousands of people just stood there, motionless, recording on their phones and hardly moving a muscle. They were not participating at all. They were observing. We have all seen that at the Etihad, especially at CL games. Obviously, the real world as it is today is not the old world where you went to a football game to watch AND participate. It's the same now wherever you go and it's crap to be honest.
Good post mate. IMO the world has changed for the worst. We now live in a "look at me" society, trying to get as many likes as you can. Besides, what's the point in going to an event if all you're going to do is look at it on a small screen.
BTW Pete Tong, that's a blast from the past. Remember him in the early days of the Jazz/Funk era.Happy, care free days back then.

Last edited:
Ffs am I just been old,, sing the old songs ffs at the normal pace,,, the boys in blue,,, oh when the blues... We are city.... Stop with the zabba and dekko songs no one give a fuck ,,,,, we never win at home,,,,,,, city city the best team,,,, na, na, na, namanana city,, belt them out,, I mean belt em out,, like the old days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.