Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Thought this late on in the 1st half, fair play they made a racket but it’s so monotonous and just blends in to the background noise. Doesn’t add to the tension like it would when the atmosphere matches the ebb and flow of the game.

Thought we were good after going 1 down anyway, not great up until then.

On a side note our police force must be the softest in Europe, fucking joke
You're right about it blending into the background. There was no difference in the level of noise or excitement they created when they were moving forward or when we were, it was just a drum and chanting. Like the hare krishna used to do on market street only louder. There was no reaction to what was going occurring on the pitch.

Lame excuse and also disrespectful. Let's also not forget where we came from. Dortmund are a great club and they nearly did us tonight
Regardless of whether you think Dortmund are a great club or not and regardless of where we were 20 yrs ago the fact is that the vast majority of the crowd tonight don’t regard group games against lesser teams as sufficiently exciting to create a banging atmosphere. A sense of jeopardy is a key ingredient in how up for it a crowd are.

Had this been a QF or SF game then the place would’ve been bouncing and their attention seeking drummer and dull as ditchwater chants would barely have been heard.

Was one of their dirges to George Michael's last christmas. It was novel in 2011, now I just think what a load of boring try hards

Had it all season so far from the bloke behind me where I sit and sat somewhere else tonight and another guy a few rows back was doing the same. (He also felt the need to have a chat with his mate about the weather during the minutes silence too…)

Half arsed breaking out into song on his own which tailed off after a few seconds followed by comments about how shit the fans around him are because they wouldn’t join in.

The guy behind me usually sits there all game moaning about anything and everything that’s going on in the game and then about how the fans around him aren’t proper, die hard fans because they won’t join in when he tries to sing a song.

It’s pissing me right off and hearing the bloke tonight whinge all game about it and call everybody around him ‘foreigners’ was pitiful.

The whole premise that a fan isn’t a fan if they aren’t either:-

1) calling the ref a **** every 2 seconds or
2) slating the same player for 90 minutes or
3) joining in with signing his half arsed tune

is an archaic load of shite and does my nut in. Some fans sit there, get immersed in the game and stay quiet for 90 minutes and that’s fine - I’m baffled as to why some think that makes them any less of a fan and why they’d feel the need to sit there on their imaginary City fan pedestal and slate fellow blues who are paying money to watch their team.

Last edited:
Dortmund won a corner after about 40 minutes and their fans didn’t seem to notice. They were on verse 12 of a random song and just carried on.
I've heard that kind of thing from a few German journalists. That there "appears" to be a great atmosphere at a lot of Bundesliga games as the crowds are noisy throughout, but it's not based on what's happening in the game. They said that they preferred the PL, even though crowds were often quiet, because the quiet would be tension, and the noise excitement, joy, frustration at events.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that tonight was a big game for Dortmund fans and not that big a deal for us.

When we play a big European game at home the place is rocking. A largely irrelevant group stage game against the 2nd or 3rd best team in Germany isn’t a big game.

You sound like a United fan - very arrogant and entitled. Dortmund are a great club.

Regardless of whether you think Dortmund are a great club or not and regardless of where we were 20 yrs ago the fact is that the vast majority of the crowd tonight don’t regard group games against lesser teams as sufficiently exciting to create a banging atmosphere. A sense of jeopardy is a key ingredient in how up for it a crowd are.

Had this been a QF or SF game then the place would’ve been bouncing and their attention seeking drummer and dull as ditchwater chants would barely have been heard.

Not true. Dortmund would have brought 3000 fans. Regardless of how good our support was, you would have still heard Dortmund's support.

Not true. Dortmund would have brought 3000 fans. Regardless of how good our support was, you would have still heard Dortmund's support.
Fair comment but for large parts of the game they would’ve been drowned out by us if we were up for it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.