Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Yes because the songs that Dave lists, plus others like ‘Hey Jude’ and ‘The Invisible Man’, have big long shouty lyrics where there’s no mistaking what’s being shouted as it’s loud and proud.

Whereas, when some of the clap-along chants are very quiet in comparison and you sometimes can’t quite tell what part of the chant is being sung, sometimes what chant is actually being sung and when you’ve figured it out whether the chant is coming to an end or just starting up. Sometimes you join in and it dies out and you stop but it starts up again.

It’s why when you hear ‘NA NA NA NAAAAA NA NA NA NAAAAA CIIIIIITYYYYYYY’ those long bellowed out notes are easy to identify and join in with all around the stadium.

‘WEEEE’RE NOT REEEEALLYYYY HEEEEEERE, WEEEEEEE AAAAAAAARE NOT….’ is dead easy to join in with.
So it's the songs not the acoustics?. I'm losing track of which excuse is being used.

my season ticket is 315 and it’s great. Not rocking all the time but it’s enough and it’s cheaper. I can usually make out 111 but nothing from 114 etc.

Me my dad and mates all get moved to 113 in the cup.
The overhang is definitely an issue I couldn’t hear 115 but could hear 113. Also had a miserable git checking the rugby and stood mute.
Now fair enough but why go in the singing area that’s the other issue.

I also find people are more willing on champions league nights than most PL games now.

anyone can start a chant you don’t have to wait for people to start!

P.s, anyone saying a proper home end etc get down to Wembley it’s the closest we will get to having one for years (bar Wembley).

So it's the songs not the acoustics?. I'm losing track of which excuse is being used.
It’s obviously a combination of both plus many other things.

Why do you keep using the word ‘excuses’? Do you realise that there’s a word that exists called ‘reasons’?

You go to the games, you’ve seen the set up of the stadium, you’ve heard the songs… you must have experienced and witnessed that our current singing section is in the worst place in the stadium for creating a stadium-wide atmosphere. It’s a little bit of a small tier in a big stand blocked in between the away fans to one side, the quietest stand in the stadium to the other side, a corporate section and small tier above and nothing below - it’s basically an away section, smaller than the actual away section to its right, of home fans.

Songs do not spread round to anywhere from there, often they don’t even spread as far as a couple of blocks within the singing section. Under that overhang at the back of 115, fans just two blocks away cannot hear the songs that are started by the back of 115 so the current singing section can’t even join in with songs started in that same section as they can’t hear them. And even when they do they are often drowned out by the larger away section to its right or gets mixed in with chants started in the 109-111 area and SSL3.

Sometimes the South Stand of the stadium sounds like this; ‘follow follow follow, say that you want me, U-N-I-T-E-D, CIIIITY CIIITY, we’ve got the best football team in the world, all of the time, United are the team for me, the best team in the land, we’ve got Rodri and Gundo, say that you need me, with a nick back paddy wack give the dog a bone, and all the world, Phil and Bernardo, always be mine, why don’t City fuck off home, CIIIITY CIIIITY, Kevin de Bruyne John Stones, cos we’ve got Guardiola…’

Where do you join in and with what do you join in with when SSL1 are singing ‘follow follow follow’, 109-111 are singing ‘we’ve got Guardiola’, SSL3 are singing ‘the best team in the land’ and United in the away section are singing nursery rhymes louder than any of our three areas?

At other times it’s silent and could do with help from other areas of the ground but you will also have probably tried to get a song going in another random area of the ground and it’s not taken off (I tired it with Que Sera Sera on Saturday).

The current singing section has no roof above it (listen to the noise SSL3 belt out when they sing and away fans in the Cups when they get the entire tier below the roof). It has no adjoining areas that join in with the chants. A lot of the chants that get going are hard to decipher and hard to join in with as that section has started to forget about songs that City fans across the stadium can hear well when they’re started in that area and that City fans across the stadium like to sing.

Even saying all that, the atmosphere has been much better in general at the Etihad in 2022 and 2023, apart from the run of games either side of the World Cup, than it was before Covid. Plus as bad the location is where the singing section currently is, like in the last two home games in the last week, they often sing all game in there.

That new stand is going to make a huge difference to our stadium.

It will be a large area where singers are going to gravitate. It’s going to unite singers from dotted about areas in the ground. Thousands of other Blues who consider themselves vocal fans have never bothered going to SSL1 because it’s such a small area that has so much not going for it and has never been worth being part of. Yet all of us from my group are going to move to this new stand and I’ve even got mates who said they’ll come back to our match going support to be part of that stand. It’ll be the largest tier in the stadium and will have a roof above it with a big back to the stand that should boom out noise:

8B478511-0E0D-4F06-ADF9-150E0BEBB6B3.jpeg

Will it have games where the atmosphere won’t be great? Of course it will. Will it still have a period of twenty minutes straight (ten minutes either side of half time) where not a single song is sung like happens now? Of course it will. But will it be infinitely better than what we have now? Of course it will! Especially if it’s priced right.

It’s obviously a combination of both plus many other things.

Why do you keep using the word ‘excuses’? Do you realise that there’s a word that exists called ‘reasons’?

You go to the games, you’ve seen the set up of the stadium, you’ve heard the songs… you must have experienced and witnessed that our current singing section is in the worst place in the stadium for creating a stadium-wide atmosphere. It’s a little bit of a small tier in a big stand blocked in between the away fans to one side, the quietest stand in the stadium to the other side, a corporate section and small tier above and nothing below - it’s basically an away section, smaller than the actual away section to its right, of home fans.

Songs do not spread round to anywhere from there, often they don’t even spread as far as a couple of blocks within the singing section. Under that overhang at the back of 115, fans just two blocks away cannot hear the songs that are started by the back of 115 so the current singing section can’t even join in with songs started in that same section as they can’t hear them. And even when they do they are often drowned out by the larger away section to its right or gets mixed in with chants started in the 109-111 area and SSL3.

Sometimes the South Stand of the stadium sounds like this; ‘follow follow follow, say that you want me, U-N-I-T-E-D, CIIIITY CIIITY, we’ve got the best football team in the world, all of the time, United are the team for me, the best team in the land, we’ve got Rodri and Gundo, say that you need me, with a nick back paddy wack give the dog a bone, and all the world, Phil and Bernardo, always be mine, why don’t City fuck off home, CIIIITY CIIIITY, Kevin de Bruyne John Stones, cos we’ve got Guardiola…’

Where do you join in and with what do you join in with when SSL1 are singing ‘follow follow follow’, 109-111 are singing ‘we’ve got Guardiola’, SSL3 are singing ‘the best team in the land’ and United in the away section are singing nursery rhymes louder than any of our three areas?

At other times it’s silent and could do with help from other areas of the ground but you will also have probably tried to get a song going in another random area of the ground and it’s not taken off (I tired it with Que Sera Sera on Saturday).

The current singing section has no roof above it (listen to the noise SSL3 belt out when they sing and away fans in the Cups when they get the entire tier below the roof). It has no adjoining areas that join in with the chants. A lot of the chants that get going are hard to decipher and hard to join in with as that section has started to forget about songs that City fans across the stadium can hear well when they’re started in that area and that City fans across the stadium like to sing.

Even saying all that, the atmosphere has been much better in general at the Etihad in 2022 and 2023, apart from the run of games either side of the World Cup, than it was before Covid. Plus as bad the location is where the singing section currently is, like in the last two home games in the last week, they often sing all game in there.

That new stand is going to make a huge difference to our stadium.

It will be a large area where singers are going to gravitate. It’s going to unite singers from dotted about areas in the ground. Thousands of other Blues who consider themselves vocal fans have never bothered going to SSL1 because it’s such a small area that has so much not going for it and has never been worth being part of. Yet all of us from my group are going to move to this new stand and I’ve even got mates who said they’ll come back to our match going support to be part of that stand. It’ll be the largest tier in the stadium and will have a roof above it with a big back to the stand that should boom out noise:

View attachment 72765

Will it have games where the atmosphere won’t be great? Of course it will. Will it still have a period of twenty minutes straight (ten minutes either side of half time) where not a single song is sung like happens now? Of course it will. But will it be infinitely better than what we have now? Of course it will! Especially if it’s priced right.
I genuinely hope you are right.

All stadium wide songs come from SS3 these days, not SS1. The reason for this is acoustics as SS3 is simply louder than SS1 because of that roof.

Also you seem to have this idea that people are using acoustics as an excuse, I personally don't think the atmosphere has been nearly as bad as some on here suggest.

But I'm not gonna stop moaning until we have the best atmosphere in the fucking world cause I'm passionate about this.

So if I were you I'd try and see people talking about acoustics as people trying to orchestrate positive change

Last edited:
No singing but love simple things like this the fans reaction do when KDB slips the ball through the Alverez the loud "come on"

Both at the ground and later watching on TV I thought the reaction to that goal from the crowd was a lot louder and more animated than for a lot of goals we score,(especially when the game has long been won ).
Personally, I think it was the appreciation of the quality of the ball, the turn and the finish, I was certainly thinking at the time 'that was some fucking goal that'!!

Our singing section couldn’t be in a worse place in the stadium.
It’s in the place it chooses to be - right next to the away fans. I’ve sat in various parts of the ground on occasion in the last few seasons and the (mostly)young lads in 115 / 114 are bang up for it, much more than any other part of the ground.

But as well as singing, part of their match day fun is to posture at away fans and this leads me to believe that many of those lads won’t fancy relocating to the other end of the ground 100 yds distant from the away fans and thus the real engine room of any new singing end will be missing.

Bingo , as I have been trying to say for this entire thread. Acoustics are a convenient excuse however the more people believe it the less will be done to address the genuine issues. A single tier north stand will just be a bigger expanse of silence if people believe just its existence will solve the atmosphere issues

Even if the north stand is a bigger expanse of silence it will be better than what we have now, in my opinion. It’s a chance to try something and group up to 8,000 fans together. It’s worth the effort.

I think Not having a proper home end is having a long lasting effect on our atmosphere. There was no thought whatsoever when we moved ground into the location of fans

Last edited:
It’s in the place it chooses to be - right next to the away fans. I’ve sat in various parts of the ground on occasion in the last few seasons and the (mostly)young lads in 115 / 114 are bang up for it, much more than any other part of the ground.

But as well as singing, part of their match day fun is to posture at away fans and this leads me to believe that many of those lads won’t fancy relocating to the other end of the ground 100 yds distant from the away fans and thus the real engine room of any new singing end will be missing.

We can have a home end and keep what we have in the south stand as well. Those few hundred fans next to the away fans can stay where they are and throw v signs at the away fans all they want.

A lot of the lads you’re talking about actually moved out of ss1 and moved into the third tier because it was cheaper. Lots will move to an all standing home end in my opinion. There’s lots of singers that don’t stand next to the away fans

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.