Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

What a fucking night!

There was a lot of tourists yes. They definitely helped in staying till the end, I'm not sure they added much to the atmosphere in terms of noise.

I think we need to distinguish between straight up tourists that wear half n halfs, take selfies and come as a one off, and the fringe fans that just don't have SCs but come to a lot of CL and cup games. I think those fans are really adding to our atmosphere as has been seen in the Champions League this season.

I'd just like to add that some of those "fringe" fans have had season tickets in the past when were shit (pre take over) and during the early years of our current ownership. Probably held those STs for longer than some current holders. Life changes, job moves have meant giving them up.

Hopefully those who want to can move out of that "fringe" bracket with the new NS development etc.

Excellent atmosphere last night but hard to compare as it was somehow different.
Rags 4-1 in 2003-04, the first derby at our new home, was fantastic and had some hatred running through it as it should do for a local derby. The same when we beat them 1-0 in 2011-12 and for other big wins against them including the first hour this season.
Hamburg was just blind support.
Last night was something different: Pure celebration, nothing anti-Madrid apart from a couple of renditions of "City, tearing Spaniards apart again".
And there wasn't a significant fire drill for a change with many fans staying to applaud the players as they celebrated a magnificent win.
Sunday could be even more special.
The only downside is that I have a sore throat today.
Madrid were booed in possession for long periods, I’d say we made it pretty hostile for them tbh.

Last edited:
Someone told me to sit down after about 20 mins from about five rows back, wasn’t even elderly or anything, I’d say he was in his 30’s. I lost my shit a bit and politely told him to fuck off. If you can’t make the effort to stand up in the top half of 315 on a night like last night then perhaps the South Stand’s not for you and you’d be best relocating to the family stand or CB3.

Anyway positives far outweigh any negatives, that was a glimpse of what one end could sound like IF the club don’t fuck it up which is no guarantee as we see with the ticketing policy for last night.

Last edited:
I'd just like to add that some of those "fringe" fans have had season tickets in the past when were shit (pre take over) and during the early years of our current ownership. Probably held those STs for longer than some current holders. Life changes, job moves have meant giving them up.

Hopefully those who want to can move out of that "fringe" bracket with the new NS development etc.

Fringe fans is not a good term ! Going by that I'm a fringe fan this season lol. 15 plus games last season only 2 this season, only one at the Etihad. Life changes, things cost more etc but no way am I a fringe fan ;) it's a long trip from SE Kent

Looking forward to watching the match on City+ as the boss is off today

Not in our block, 238 it wasn't.

The "regulars" in our block made more noise than they would in your average PL game but to see so many folk in the 2 or 3 rows in front and either side of us that remained passive throughout the various reasons to celebrate was astonishing.

The lad immediately to my right held a blue flag and asked in very broken English "What does this say?" whilst pointing to the words "Blue Moon" !!!
Ah. So quiet fans are tourists? Oh get over it. The place was bouncing

I should think everyone loved it last night, and I’m sure you know perfectly well what a tourist looks like. Doesn’t make his point any less valid. There must have been thousands of other Blues who’d like to have enjoyed it as well, but couldn’t get tickets, because half the ground was full of day trippers. I’ve genuinely never seen anything like it at the Etihad last night. Walked around the ground before kick off, got asked for directions half a dozen times and witnessed Madrid fans, shirts on full display, queuing at every turnstile.
That was one of the biggest and greatest games we’ve ever had at City and, whilst the atmosphere was excellent, it’s a pity that more long term City fans didn’t get the opportunity to enjoy it
HALF THE GROUND!! Do be serious. The ground was mainly full of City fans. Gross exaggeration.

All big clubs have “new” fans or we’d be needing hospital beds. Many New fans become long term fans - got to start somewhere

Agree with this. Out of 5 of us that go together, all SC, only 2 of us are on champs league scheme. Whos faults that?
Through this seasons champs leagues games ive had all sorts sat next to me, lads who just wanted a different seat, an asain couple who never stopped taking photos, young lads who were bouncing all game. All added ‘something’.

It’s what it is. If all SC holders opted in to the champs league scheme we wouldnt have this problem, would we?
Every SC holder had the option of buying a ticket before Cityzens anyway. The problem was there were probably 12-15000 tickets that were up for grabs by anyone at all of which probably half went to literally anybody. Even having just one points criteria for those tickets would have made all the difference. There’s no excuse.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the atmosphere
This was only my second game in Etihad, the first was the 6-3 win in the derby, and the atmosphere was much better there
Now I can understand why the club needs to restrict tickets in important games

Four suspect French lads next to me in 109. During the second half one told me it was his first time visiting an English stadium / the Etihad. Can’t say they particularly added to the atmosphere, but it was a cracking one regardless.

Absolutely. Loads of fans relocated in cup matches for obvious reasons. They’re not with their usual crowd and are quiet as a result. Some on here always too quick to judge

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.