Etihad atmosphere

Such and interesting topic this one....

Logic would tell you that in a stadium of 50k plus people the atmosphere would be electric. We would certainly have thought so back standing on the Kippax when there was an attendance of perhaps 20k against a team that perhaps didnt get the adrenaline flowing, say a match v Southampton midweek. Yet even at those games the atmosphere was much better than at a full Etihad...or for that matter any other premier league ground of today. Back in the 80s and 90s I came fairly close to doing all 90 league grounds. I can think of numerous lower league matches where the atmosphere was far better than what we have in the Premier league grounds of today.

Some blame the new stadiums and acoustics and the fact that they are all seater, all seating doesnt help but there is no reason why there could not be a great atmosphere at the Etihad.

The bottom line is its the people who go into the stadium who make the atmosphere. Back in the 70s 80s and 90s being a football supporter was about raw passion, you would scream shout sing, yes you may well swear and shout obscenities that was part and parcel of what made those atmospheres. Now if you do those things you are likely to at best have someone tell you to sit down and be quiet, at worst get nicked and served with a banning order. The kind of people who go these days are people with money in their pockets a career. More kids go its a safer enviroment. Alot more women. Is that a bad thing? No of course it isnt.....but if its atmosphere you want it certainly is.

Smaller away followings are also a big factor....remember games back in the 80s, when 10k Geordies, or Leeds would arrive, 95% blokes all singing and shouting, likewise when City took big followings to other grounds, but of course despite being a brilliant atmosphere, there were drawbacks...think i have mentioned before how thrilling it was to stand at Elland Road listening to 20k singing your going to get your fucking heads kicked in...and knowing that if you didnt keep your wits about you, you would indeed get your head kicked in.

Safe standing priced like Dortmund might help, but even then only if enthusiasm passion and emotion were allowed, and letting Saturdays ref know that it was your considered opinion that he was infact a bent cheating rag ****....without some fucking nimby reporting you for swearing and getting chucked out and a banning order.

This.
Too many spectators, not enough supporters.

Can I see big business lowering ticket prices and reaching out to the traditional crowd?

No.

They want the tourist who would fly over with Etihad airways, stay in an hotel in town built and owned by ADUG or some Chinese consortium,
Pay double prices for the match ticket.
A trolley load of merchandise at the club store.
No policing issues.
The revenue generated per tourist is far far more profitable than say us lot who have the Seasoncard, never buy any merchandise, sit in Mary d's/Vic pre/post match and are right tight and skint bastards.

Like I said preciously... We are being ethnically cleansed.
All the estates around outskirts of town will eventually be modernised and a load of suit wearing southern corporate lawyer types alongside the Chinese lot will live in those Areas.

Same happened in parts of London with generations of traditional cockneys being priced out of their areas.

Very true. As others have said we are an ageing crowd anyway who are slowly dying off. The club don't want us and can't wait for this to happen for many of the reasons you have mentioned. I have never had so much chance to ''Have my say'' in the countless e mails I get sent but by the same token never felt as far away from the club as I do now. I am not really enjoying going to games anymore and I am hanging on out of a sense of duty/loyalty, but even that is waning.

It's just never going to change....................the 70's and 80's standing terraces, pitch invasions and mass brawls are gone forever.............

You don't know what you missed young un's

It's just never going to change....................the 70's and 80's standing terraces, pitch invasions and mass brawls are gone forever.............

You don't know what you missed young un's

They sure don't going to a game now is like going to the fucking cinema. The only difference is you have to put up with badly trained knobhead stewards and still being treated like some kind of serial killer on day release at football a lot of the time.

How?
If the people in different areas of the ground don't sing now, why do you think that moving them to a different part of the ground, to a view they don't enjoy as much, will make them sing more?
I find this idea really strange

how is it strange. more people stood up usually means more singers. anything is better than what we have now. fans would be able to go into the section that want to sing

really ? thats just another excuse. its up to the fans to make the atmosphere, yo cant blame the club if people can't be arsed to get behind the team

Thats the whole point those who want to do exactly that have been alienated or priced out.

I wonder what percentage a supporters go week in week out home and away, compared to back when there was an atmosphere at City?

how is it strange. more people stood up usually means more singers. anything is better than what we have now. fans would be able to go into the section that want to sing
Why do you think that the people that will be stood up will want to sing? they will largely be the same people that go now and don't sing, & do you really think there are 8,000 at almost every home game that would sing for 90 minutes if only they could stand?

Why do you think that the people that will be stood up will want to sing? they will largely be the same people that go now and don't sing, & do you really think there are 8,000 at almost every home game that would sing for 90 minutes if only they could stand?

im not saying they will all want to sing. they wont be the same people, the majority of family stand people will move out allowing people who want to stand to go in there. your honestly telling me having 5,000 more standing fans wont be better than having family stand. we could have two standing/singing areas, even if its not that loud it will be an improvement on now. you dont need 8,000 fans singing all game just a few hundred., like at celtic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.