Etihad atmosphere

People are missing the point. It's no good blaming tourists or people in the family stand for the lack of atmosphere. We have a singing section that doesn't sing that's the problem. The people who insist on standing either side of the away fans should be driving the atmosphere and then other parts of the ground will join in.

At Maine road the onus was on the kippax to get the atmosphere going, when that got developed the North stand took the lead with the singing. People in the Maine stand didn't drive the atmosphere.

I have stood in the kippax , and the North stand and jumped and sang and created the atmosphere. I have done my time, I go in the family stand now with my 9 year old son and 70 year old dad. We can hear the away fans.......

We do have less tourists than most and the average match going blue is the same more or less it has always been recently only older. There was a newspaper article this year about us not attracting day trippers and out of towners and how despite the success we are still very much a locally supported club and when the locals don't tip up for cup games we don't have day trippers and out of towners to take up the slack.
Where do you people sit? Day trippers are everywhere for all European games and all the big Prem games. Normal Prem games are different but the number of tourists for the big games must be as big as any other ground.

Plus didn't Prestwich Blue once say on here that there are over 20000 new SC holders at the Etihad now compared to the ones who were there when we first moved in 2003? It isn't the same fans who've always been there. As i said a few pages back i know a huge amount of long standing fans who are no longer SC holders (over 20 people!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Club try too hard, nothings natural.
Exactly right.

Even something small like the club employed flag wavers - they shouldn't exist. All fan things like flags and banners should be done in the stands from the fans only, it should never come from the club.

People are missing the point. It's no good blaming tourists or people in the family stand for the lack of atmosphere. We have a singing section that doesn't sing that's the problem. The people who insist on standing either side of the away fans should be driving the atmosphere and then other parts of the ground will join in.

At Maine road the onus was on the kippax to get the atmosphere going, when that got developed the North stand took the lead with the singing. People in the Maine stand didn't drive the atmosphere.

I have stood in the kippax , and the North stand and jumped and sang and created the atmosphere. I have done my time, I go in the family stand now with my 9 year old son and 70 year old dad. We can hear the away fans.......
That is certainly one of the many problems but, even when they do sing, it's rare the rest of the ground joins in (even people going to City for years don't know the words to most songs as they have never learnt them to join in with them, never mind new fans or daytrippers).

And even if the Singing Section did sing all game every game it is far too small anyway. I don't stand in the Singing Section because, what's the point?it's fucking tiny!

Prices in the SSL have doubled over a short space of time. The club artificially creating a singing section just diluted the natural singing section, and it has been diluted further with the extra home seats on the lower tier.

We will go at least 3 months without a home win in the league, hardly surprising it is worse than last season.

I agree with some points but not others. If you can hear the away fans there must definitely be times where you can hear us next to them. Why does no one from any other area join in? I agree the onus is on the singing sections to start the songs, but, at a push there a less than 500 committed singers. All it takes is one person to join in then other people around them will as well. Even just clapping along to a song or something like that. It's all well and good saying you've done your time, but no you haven't. Everyone's time is EVERY game, for 90 minutes. That's like me saying, well I started a few songs off last weekend so not gonna bother this week.

When I was a kid I used to love getting involved in the songs, I can't believe how quiet the family stand actually is.

Prices in the SSL have doubled over a short space of time. The club artificially creating a singing section just diluted the natural singing section, and it has been diluted further with the extra home seats on the lower tier.

We will go at least 3 months without a home win in the league, hardly surprising it is worse than last season.
I disagree, I think given the games since the start of last season the atmosphere has been miles ahead of what it was.

I just think everyone has become expectant. If results aren't going our way we spit our dummy out and don't bother. Our fanbase collectively has become one of the worst in the country and there is very little to blame other than ourselves.

It's not just at the Etihad. We were very quiet for much of the game at Burnley as well.

There's more Blues interested in slagging off players than getting behind the team. There's been a really good effort from 1894 but I can't see the atmosphere improving.

It's probably time to stop worrying aboutbthe atmosphere and just accept it for what it is.
Our away support has absolutely took a huge nose dive in the noise we make. I think we sang two songs in the first half hour at Burnley. Remember when we went there with Keegan? The stand was bouncing from the off. We have lost our spark as a fanbase. From 1998 to about 2003 we were the best fans in the country bar none. Away from home was really good in those years. And it wasn't because we were shit because three of those seasons were promotion seasons and one we finished 8th in the Prem

There was a real buzz about our support post-takeover and especially when Mancini came and we had the experience of Poznań and ARIS fans who really did rub off on our fan culture (like Lokeren's "Lo Lo Lo Loooa, Lo Lo Lo Loooa" did a decade ago with the Poznań and he Edin Džeko chant) and we won the FA Cup and Premier League. I think the atmosphere, while not particularly fanstastic was good and we had a real buzz about us and the "Kippax Corner" was decent (yes SSL1 is louder than it used to be but it's not louder than the old "Kippax Corner"). We used to moan at the time that we wanted it to improve further but we've gone backwards instead of improving it. Where i sit in East Stand L1 songs used to travel down the stand and were easy to join in with when the Singing Section was in the corner. It wasn't just 100+111 as 109 always used to sing n'all and it did travel down to 107 regularly. Now it doesn't happen at all. Nobody has anything to join in with. And the buzz has gone, even from our away support.

We are flatter than i've ever known us as a set of fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with some points but not others. If you can hear the away fans there must definitely be times where you can hear us next to them. Why does no one from any other area join in? I agree the onus is on the singing sections to start the songs, but, at a push there a less than 500 committed singers. All it takes is one person to join in then other people around them will as well. Even just clapping along to a song or something like that. It's all well and good saying you've done your time, but no you haven't. Everyone's time is EVERY game, for 90 minutes. That's like me saying, well I started a few songs off last weekend so not gonna bother this week.

When I was a kid I used to love getting involved in the songs, I can't believe how quiet the family stand actually is.

We do join in. I was in the bell end at first and the atmosphere in the family stand is a far better experience than the boring Colin bell stand.

However we will respond and do to the crowd and singing and it's just not there anymore to join in. I think someone had it right before - people who are 15 to 30 are more bothered constantly looking at their phone than the game now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.