Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier someone posted a pic. of the swamp on here and i noticed there was a canal ? (waterway) on the right hand side of the pic.- possibly behind the SAF stand.

Here is the question.:Does the Ashton canal near the Etihad run into Manchester - maybe Canal Street - and continues west.?.So is it possible to travel by boat(canoe) etc.
from the Etihad to the swamp.

If the Mods want to move this - ok. I did not want to start another thread - I wonder which forum it will end up.?.

Earlier someone posted a pic. of the swamp on here and i noticed there was a canal ? (waterway) on the right hand side of the pic.- possibly behind the SAF stand.

Here is the question.:Does the Ashton canal near the Etihad run into Manchester - maybe Canal Street - and continues west.?.So is it possible to travel by boat(canoe) etc.
from the Etihad to the swamp.

If the Mods want to move this - ok. I did not want to start another thread - I wonder which forum it will end up.?.

Yes, it travels down to Piccadilly basin connects with the Rochdale canal, then down Canal st down the back of Whitworth st to Castlefield where it meets the Bridgewater canal.

Last edited:
Yes, it travels down to Piccadilly basin connects with the Rochdale canal, then down Canal st down the back of Whitworth st to Castlefield where it meets the Bridgewater canal.
Spot on, I biked that exact route to the Etihad from Urmston last Month, takes just over an hour

I wonder if the club is planning more 'City Square' areas ? With hopefully 6'000 more fans expected , maybe the club should be looking at this .

I think the atmosphere is more to do with the fan demographic changing than anything...it's no longer the working class game we were used to...although you went to Maine road 13 years before I was born! (My first game was 81/82)

I think the introduction of the more middle class fan...the tourists...and all seating in stadiums have had a seriously detrimental effect on the match day experience...I'm just crossing my fingers that the new SS singing section will be a success and we can bring back a little intimidation into our home games
ALL the people who sit around me are working class manchester and district people. wish people would stop with this blaming tourists and middle classes shit ,its not THEM its US,we all need to put a little more effort in

I wonder if the club is planning more 'City Square' areas ? With hopefully 6'000 more fans expected , maybe the club should be looking at this .

The plan was always to use the current City square as a temporary area, the future "city square" will be more like Wembley now is with restaurants, bars, cinema & shopping for those inclined to do so... Also a nice swanky hotel. In the very first stadium thread "Las Vegas" something or other Jrb was sent plenty of info via PM as to what the plans/briefs were. Even back then in late 2008 (October if I remember correctly) it was suggested the stadium would eventually be 100k capacity. Fbloke will back that PM up as will a few others ;-) I've enjoyed watching it all unfold & recent plans I've seen (no I'm not posting or PM'ing to anyone as I'm not supposed to have them) show how the outside/entertainment areas will look. The brief was always "bigger than United" & that meant on & off the pitch, & that's never changed.

The plan was always to use the current City square as a temporary area, the future "city square" will be more like Wembley now is with restaurants, bars, cinema & shopping for those inclined to do so... Also a nice swanky hotel. In the very first stadium thread "Las Vegas" something or other Jrb was sent plenty of info via PM as to what the plans/briefs were. Even back then in late 2008 (October if I remember correctly) it was suggested the stadium would eventually be 100k capacity. Fbloke will back that PM up as will a few others ;-) I've enjoyed watching it all unfold & recent plans I've seen (no I'm not posting or PM'ing to anyone as I'm not supposed to have them) show how the outside/entertainment areas will look. The brief was always "bigger than United" & that meant on & off the pitch, & that's never changed.

100k, really?

Even United would struggle with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.