Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so fookin looking forward to the Chelsea game - you South Standers need to make some serious fookin noise!

LVrbQtn.jpg

Looks like the proposal is for it to be all the way around the ground

Inside the ground it simply can not be faulted. Outside the ground however it is an eye-sore. It's such a focal point for the local community - imagine waking up every single day to a bland, gray, high-rise building? I'm so happy I don't live anywhere near the stadium.

My point is essentially this - so much work needs to be done and it will be done, but in the meantime - 3, 4, 5, 10, 15 years - however long, the place will remain a building site. I'm 43 years old, I'm not convinced I'll live to see the true, final vision of the area as a whole. Around the stadium, it's a dump - not so much on the academy side anymore, but on the south side, where grit car parks outside run down estates run by people trying to make a bit of money - it is, by and large, a run down area. The walk up to the stadium from this side is less than inspiring, and considering that the tennis and squash courts are there, it still looks like a dump while walking across Mercer way up to City square.

I'm being harsh - I know I am, and so much work has happened and it is incredible what has happened. My point is essentially that a new exterior that looks incredible could have been created instead of gray panels and mesh which, if anything, only adds to the already despressing surrounding areas. I look at the academy site, and the stadium there just looks wonderful, modern, clean, crisp, everything you would want from a new development. The south stand exterior doesn't match up to that.

Inside however, it looks amazing.

Inside the ground it simply can not be faulted. Outside the ground however it is an eye-sore. It's such a focal point for the local community - imagine waking up every single day to a bland, gray, high-rise building? I'm so happy I don't live anywhere near the stadium.

My point is essentially this - so much work needs to be done and it will be done, but in the meantime - 3, 4, 5, 10, 15 years - however long, the place will remain a building site. I'm 43 years old, I'm not convinced I'll live to see the true, final vision of the area as a whole. Around the stadium, it's a dump - not so much on the academy side anymore, but on the south side, where grit car parks outside run down estates run by people trying to make a bit of money - it is, by and large, a run down area. The walk up to the stadium from this side is less than inspiring, and considering that the tennis and squash courts are there, it still looks like a dump while walking across Mercer way up to City square.

I'm being harsh - I know I am, and so much work has happened and it is incredible what has happened. My point is essentially that a new exterior that looks incredible could have been created instead of gray panels and mesh which, if anything, only adds to the already despressing surrounding areas. I look at the academy site, and the stadium there just looks wonderful, modern, clean, crisp, everything you would want from a new development. The south stand exterior doesn't match up to that.

Inside however, it looks amazing.

'Eye-sore'? Dear me.

Inside however, it looks amazing.[/QUOT

Couldn't Disagree more with you, the new stand and the North stand When it's built have been designed to blend in with the rest of the stadium facade and keep the unique design of the cablenet roof support Intact, once the new adertising and lighting designed is completed the whole extension will take on completely different look. Before people start criticising let's let the thing be completed, all though the stand will be opened for the start of the new season work on the stand will continue for several weeks after to give it its final finish. Also at the moment the hoardings around the bottom tier are Still in place whilst the turnstiles are installed and the interior finished this will give a much better finish to the build once removed. If you look at other grounds that have been extended such as the swamp and Anfield to mention two, each stand is different from the next and looks completely out of sync.

Eye-sore was a bit dramatical, I'll grant you that. I just think that the outside of the ground could look a lot more appealing than it does. It is the focal point of the area, and when I compare the outside of the stadium to the outside of the academy stadium, the academy stadium, aesthetically at least, wins hands down. It just looks so much more pleasing.

Sorry if my opinion offends you. I'm just expressing how I feel. Like I said - inside the ground - ultimately where it is most important, I think it looks incredible, so I'm not exactly losing sleep over this.

Jacko - thank you - I appreciate your post much more than I do Mike N's post, simply because your post gives me an insight into how other people view the development.

You are completely correct - let's wait until it is completed. I hold my hands up and say I am jumping the gun in that respect. The finishing touches will most likely result in me changing my opinion. I was just expressing my opinion as to how it looks currently. Short-sighted admittedly, I just wanted to throw my opinion at this moment in time out there. More in the hope that the likes of yourself would respond, thus placating my worries as to how it will all eventually pan out. For that, I want to thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.