Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if City were to build a school/s? or a some science park, or even a new hospital etc? There's so much more than just sport than can be built to bridge the gap between sport and the community. Manchester City, like most clubs, was once about a community (in the true geographical sense). Why not the same again, where Manchester is once again represented by Manchester City, and Salford can do what they like with their lot.
Imagine a state of the art hospital for kids (like Great Ormond Street) but in the Northwest - Manchester City Children's Hospital. Or a cancer research centre etc. Football ACTUALLY doing something positive. Talk about football actually making a different to people's lives? if our owners really want impact, something like that would beat any theme park / hotel hands down.

Our club COULD represent a lot more than sport. A pipe dream perhaps, but where we are now was a pipe dream a few years ago.

Well we've got a pretty decent set of modern hospitals at the MRI, and a great cancer research centre at Christies, but something along those lines (don't forget the East Manchester College and Leisure centre).

I was told some time last year City had also helped pay for the new Hough End Leisure Centre (which is pretty good by the way - I take my daughter swimming there) - perhaps someone can confirm that?

1 single tier. Breaking out the ground floor slab and lower tier. The best stand in Europe.

Any idea on what implications this would have on capacity (assuming still all seats) versus the three tier version?

Can we get up to 62,000, like was originally envisaged,if we go this route? I know that we're looking at a shortfall after the first two phases of the expansion.

Single Tier of safe standing. Where do I sign up?
Never gonna happen.
And I've knocked together some simple drawings to show why I am confused by the @worsleyweb one single tier statement.

So here's how the Expanded South Stand works in relation to the West - 1st and 2nd tiers just flow around the corner, 3rd tiers separate but still actually aligned
nsoption1.jpg

Next is merged 2nd/3rd tier option - 1st tier left well alone - the 2nd tier bowl is unaffected but the profile of the 3rd tier is steeper (more likely lower) so that it just plonks on the top/back of the second tier - no legends lounge equivalent
nsoption2.jpg

Now if we try and bring the 1st tier into play things get harder. In this first one the 1st tier stays unchanged keeping the 1st tier bowl OK and the 2nd and 3rd tiers are lowered/moved backwards slightly in a block to latch on to the top of the first tier. you've lost the easy 1st tier concourse access and concourse width I bed and you've introduced a step on the 2nd tier as the corner comes round from the east stand
nsoption3.jpg

The step will look a bit like Glanmor's gap at the Millenium Stadium
Glanmor's_Gap,_Millennium_Stadium,_Cardiff.jpg

And the final option is a real nonstarter which is to increase the rake of the 1st tier end so it meets the front of the 2nd tier and a 3rd tier plonked on the top. you create a completely blocked view in the corner of the 1st tier doing that so this cannot be the way to do it without also messing with the corners as well (rake increases and depth decreases as it curves around to the end)
nsoption4.jpg

I'd love to know @worsleyweb view on these

Never gonna happen.
And I've knocked together some simple drawings to show why I am confused by the @worsleyweb one single tier statement.

So here's how the Expanded South Stand works in relation to the West - 1st and 2nd tiers just flow around the corner, 3rd tiers separate but still actually aligned
nsoption1.jpg

Next is merged 2nd/3rd tier option - 1st tier left well alone - the 2nd tier bowl is unaffected but the profile of the 3rd tier is steeper (more likely lower) so that it just plonks on the top/back of the second tier - no legends lounge equivalent
nsoption2.jpg

Now if we try and bring the 1st tier into play things get harder. In this first one the 1st tier stays unchanged keeping the 1st tier bowl OK and the 2nd and 3rd tiers are lowered/moved backwards slightly in a block to latch on to the top of the first tier. you've lost the easy 1st tier concourse access and concourse width I bed and you've introduced a step on the 2nd tier as the corner comes round from the east stand
nsoption3.jpg

The step will look a bit like Glanmor's gap at the Millenium Stadium
Glanmor's_Gap,_Millennium_Stadium,_Cardiff.jpg

And the final option is a real nonstarter which is to increase the rake of the 1st tier end so it meets the front of the 2nd tier and a 3rd tier plonked on the top. you create a completely blocked view in the corner of the 1st tier doing that so this cannot be the way to do it without also messing with the corners as well (rake increases and depth decreases as it curves around to the end)
nsoption4.jpg

I'd love to know @worsleyweb view on these

The issue with your simple drawings is an assumption that the seating levels between East, west and North remain the same height. (Elevation not section)

The new plans for the asymmetric stand have a much higher roof line than East & west and the gradient of seating is less acute (Resulting in a step down, at adjoining East and west sections - no blocked view) There are discussions at the moment regarding corporate capacity and the total removal of boxes and high yield seating in the north stand. This can be negated commercially as there are draft plans for a supplementary (circa 5k capacity) indoor arena directly behind the North Stand, but this is dependant on timing requirements from the club.

This is also brought about by the total estimated cost / time allowances needed to replace the existing roof to make the stadium a full bowl and the realisation that an asymmetric stadium isn't a bad thing for overall cost, atmosphere and astetics

Last edited:
If they were re-building from the slab up would that not result in us losing considerable capacity during the re-development? I can't imagine the club will be happy reducing the amount of season cards available for a season after working so hard to get more fans attending? Unless of course, they can somehow maintain capacity during the building process?

If they were re-building from the slab up would that not result in us losing considerable capacity during the re-development? I can't imagine the club will be happy reducing the amount of season cards available for a season after working so hard to get more fans attending? Unless of course, they can somehow maintain capacity during the building process?
Maybe they would use the same plan as Liverpool and build the new stand behind the current stand and fill in the gap in the close season ?

It just seems like wishful thinking to me. Surely the North Stand expansion, when it happens, will be a mirror image of the South stand? Not that I'm ITK or anything, but still...

It just seems like wishful thinking to me. Surely the North Stand expansion, when it happens, will be a mirror image of the South stand? Not that I'm ITK or anything, but still...

You'd think it would be symmetrical but i can also see sheikh Mansour wanting to build something spectacular - we have the best training facilities in the world why not the best stadium?

You'd think it would be symmetrical but i can also see sheikh Mansour wanting to build something spectacular - we have the best training facilities in the world why not the best stadium?
I think realistically, if we wanted the best stadium in the world, we would have to build a new one from scratch. The Etihad is (and will be) fantastic, but the BEST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.