Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst the single tier would be amazing it would surely be huge building nightmare and would mean the closing of the North Stand completely for maybe most of a season if not all. For that reason alone i could see the owners just repeating the South Stand which in the grand scheme of things had very little impact.

The issue with your simple drawings is an assumption that the seating levels between East, west and North remain the same height. (Elevation not section)

The new plans for the asymmetric stand have a much higher roof line than East & west and the gradient of seating is less acute (Resulting in a step down, at adjoining East and west sections - no blocked view) There are discussions at the moment regarding corporate capacity and the total removal of boxes and high yield seating in the north stand. This can be negated commercially as there are draft plans for a supplementary (circa 5k capacity) indoor arena directly behind the North Stand, but this is dependant on timing requirements from the club.

This is also brought about by the total estimated cost / time allowances needed to replace the existing roof to make the stadium a full bowl and the realisation that an asymmetric stadium isn't a bad thing for overall cost, atmosphere and astetics

To replace the roof would mean closing the stadium for quite awhile, and what type of roof? The current one is lightweight and therfore the structure of the bowl is designed around this criteria, to change the design would entail a new supporting structure, to bear the heavy loads of a conventional cantilever. IMHO the north stand should mirror the south stand, anything else would entail compromises with sightlines and /or capacity

To replace the roof would mean closing the stadium for quite awhile, and what type of roof? The current one is lightweight and therfore the structure of the bowl is designed around this criteria, to change the design would entail a new supporting structure, to bear the heavy loads of a conventional cantilever. IMHO the north stand should mirror the south stand, anything else would entail compromises with sightlines and /or capacity

Im no engineer but its my take on things as well mate.

Im no engineer but its my take on things as well mate.
I'm definately no engineer, but worsleyweb must have seen or been told something to say he was 90% sure , he wouldn't have just plucked the one tier thing out of the air, and the club can employ the very cleverest engineers / architects. That said I find it difficult to imagine how it could be done without closing the stand.

I'm definately no engineer, but worsleyweb must have seen or been told something to say he was 90% sure , he wouldn't have just plucked the one tier thing out of the air, and the club can employ the very cleverest engineers / architects. That said I find it difficult to imagine how it could be done without closing the stand.

Agree and i know worlsey wont lie but for the life of me i just cant see it being done without a huge amount of stand closure for a considerable time and a huge drop in revenue whilst that happens.

Again though, what the fuck do i know?

The issue with your simple drawings is an assumption that the seating levels between East, west and North remain the same height. (Elevation not section)

The new plans for the asymmetric stand have a much higher roof line than East & west and the gradient of seating is less acute (Resulting in a step down, at adjoining East and west sections - no blocked view) There are discussions at the moment regarding corporate capacity and the total removal of boxes and high yield seating in the north stand. This can be negated commercially as there are draft plans for a supplementary (circa 5k capacity) indoor arena directly behind the North Stand, but this is dependant on timing requirements from the club.

This is also brought about by the total estimated cost / time allowances needed to replace the existing roof to make the stadium a full bowl and the realisation that an asymmetric stadium isn't a bad thing for overall cost, atmosphere and astetics
Unless you a true ITK on this matter, I am going to disagree - this is nothing to do with the height of the new north stand - this is all about alignment of the first and second tiers on the join between the new north stand and the existing corners and to a lesser extent the concourses/access behind them - you simply can't reconcile a smooth profile (of a one giant tier stand) with a stepped profile (of the lower two tiers of the corner)

Last edited:
For those saying that the North Stand should match the new South Stand, there would be too much wasted space if that were to happen. The South Stand includes the Legends Lounge, as well as the bar areas; 93:20 & Joe's.

Combined these areas take up a lot of room and there would never be the demand in a 60k seater stadium to have those facilities at the other end as well. This is just another reason why I believe they are considering a different design for the North Stand end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.