Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_downloads/MCFCEastManchester.pdf - see point 4.4 on page 15 of the 39 contained in the PDF file that opens if you follow the above link.

The Council was to dispose of the collar site land to the development JV (to be owned 20% by MCC and 80% by MCFC) with the Council having "the right to take the lease back from the ”JV” Development Company Limited at market value" in the event that "less than 25% of the Collar Site has been redeveloped within 15 years of the grant of the lease".

The lease clearly hadn't been granted as at14 March 2012, the date of that report, because the reference is still to a "proposed" disposal. In fact, I don't think we've ever had official confirmation that it has been. However, presumably it was, probably sometime in 2012. This would mean that we've until 2027 to develop a quarter of the land, or risk having the Council take it back at a market price.

From memory, the collar site was initially 37 acres and then they tacked on an extra 5 acres that hadn't previously been included. If that's right, we're looking at a little over 10 acres having to be developed in, I suppose, the next 12 years or so to prevent the Council having an option to repurchase the land.

Here: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_downloads/MCFCEastManchester.pdf - see point 4.4 on page 15 of the 39 contained in the PDF file that opens if you follow the above link.

The Council was to dispose of the collar site land to the development JV (to be owned 20% by MCC and 80% by MCFC) with the Council having "the right to take the lease back from the ”JV” Development Company Limited at market value" in the event that "less than 25% of the Collar Site has been redeveloped within 15 years of the grant of the lease".

The lease clearly hadn't been granted as at14 March 2012, the date of that report, because the reference is still to a "proposed" disposal. In fact, I don't think we've ever had official confirmation that it has been. However, presumably it was, probably sometime in 2012. This would mean that we've until 2027 to develop a quarter of the land, or risk having the Council take it back at a market price.

From memory, the collar site was initially 37 acres and then they tacked on an extra 5 acres that hadn't previously been included. If that's right, we're looking at a little over 10 acres having to be developed in, I suppose, the next 12 years or so to prevent the Council having an option to repurchase the land.

I was trying to get a handle on the likely milestones needed for the Collar Site but the right to buy-back at market value is less worrying than what I thought was in place, namely that they simply had to hand the land back.

It seems clear that the priority will be given to the North Stand adding a delay of 18 months - 2 years before any holes are dug on the Collar at the very earliest.

Any consultation for the Collar would likely be more detailed than for the CFA or South Stand/North Stand and I would think there would be 12-18 months put aside for that too.

Would it be fair to say that we wont see any action on the Collar before 2020?

I was trying to get a handle on the likely milestones needed for the Collar Site but the right to buy-back at market value is less worrying than what I thought was in place, namely that they simply had to hand the land back.

It seems clear that the priority will be given to the North Stand adding a delay of 18 months - 2 years before any holes are dug on the Collar at the very earliest.

Any consultation for the Collar would likely be more detailed than for the CFA or South Stand/North Stand and I would think there would be 12-18 months put aside for that too.

May be longer than 2020 if the development of the East stand goes ahead to match the South and North

I think you're right that priority will be given to the North Stand. However, if there are settled plans for the collar site and a definite intention to proceed with the work, wouldn't it make sense for them to keep machinery/equipment/workforce on site to the maximum degree possible and make a start once the North Stand is done? There doesn't seem any reason why you couldn't consult while the stadium expansion work was being carried out (or am I missing something?). If so, perhaps the timings might be:

- Winter 2015/6: announce go-ahead for plans to expand North Stand (to be done in a manner consistent with existing planning consent)
- March 2016: work on North Stand begins
- March 2016 to August 2017: work on North Stand ongoing
- Summer 2016: announcment of plans for Phase 1 of the collar site (isn't the informed talk that the collar site will be developed in 3 or 4 stages, each taking two years?) and start of extended consultation period on the plans
- Early 2017: planning application submitted for Phase 1 collar site
- August 2017: North Stand expansion completed
- Autumn 2017: ground broken on collar site

Maybe not, but the above seems to have a logic, to me.

I don't think they'll look at expanding either the east or west stands for a while. I expect that, first, we'd have to build up serious untapped demand despite a capacity topping 60K, and it will take well into the next decade for that to happen.

Worsleyweb or any other construction professional is more than welcome to tell me why the above might prove naive or unrealistic bollocks.

^^ I believe a few on here have mentioned the collar site commencing before any talk of east/west stand redevelopment.

^^ I believe a few on here have mentioned the collar site commencing before any talk of east/west stand redevelopment.

Follow up for WW - would the potential East Stand development mean that they'd refrain from developing the middle part of the collar site until the expansion work had been done? Otherwise, wouldn't there be problems of access during the expansion works? In other words, could we see the collar site developed at the north end, then the south end, and then the final part after the East Stand has been done sometime in the early to mid 2020s? Sorry if this is more bollocks!

- Summer 2016: announcement of plans for Phase 1 of the collar site (isn't the informed talk that the collar site will be developed in 3 or 4 stages, each taking two years?) and start of extended consultation period on the plans

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but 6-8 years seems a long time to develop the collar site!?

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but 6-8 years seems a long time to develop the collar site!?

It will be an utterly splendid collar though, and these take time to plan and create:

eleven-objects-collars-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.