Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I’ll add some possible reasons. I stand corrected on what I’m posting. Feel free. :-)

1. Additional match day revenue and annual income.
2. Hosting CL and Europa cup finals. 60,000+ capacity
3. It’s a 250 year lease, so additional match day income will also cover the the lease cost, which is currently between £4mill-£5mill a year. Stand corrected on that.
4. City will make the £300mill back at some point in the future. Then it will be pure profit from the stand, hotel, museum, retail, offices, the sky walk, events, conferences, etc.
5. Outside of the match day, the stand, hotel, retail, offices, bars, restaurants etc will make additional income, compared to the North stand now, which makes nothing outside of match days.
6. I think, think, City own the Collar site? They own most or all of the Etihad Campus. MCC have some say on the Collar site. What the actual relationship and partnership between the club and MCC regarding the Collar site is anyones guess. It’s shrouded in a bit of secrecy.
7. City and MCC are working together to deliver an appropriate use for the Collar site that will bring further investment, jobs, and possibly education to the area. But we don’t know what that is still.

These comments could be related to the future of the Collar site? An AI education campus on the Collar site, plus additional education and other buildings? But that’s me just guessing, nothing more.

Marty Edelman spoke at MIPIM about his relationship with the city council

The second plateau may involve some housing, but really we’re more focused on thinking about job creation – and when you think about job creation, we think about skills,” he continued.

“What we need to do is create educational places where young people can learn those skills that are relevant to a world in which AI is perhaps the future and the computer, in a way, is the past. I want to focus Man Life to see if we can create those spaces, which will provide opportunity for educating young people so they have a pathway to jobs.”

Don't City have an option to purchase the stadium outright? It's not been optioned because everyone is happy with the current arrangement but I think the key point of @Asa's left peg is answered by the fact the club could own the stadium if it ever needed to.

Don't City have an option to purchase the stadium outright? It's not been optioned because everyone is happy with the current arrangement but I think the key point of @Asa's left peg is answered by the fact the club could own the stadium if it ever needed to.
Didn’t realise there was an option to buying the stadium,any idea what ball park figure we would be talking about as an interest…

Never see any reference to an option to buy
A considerable amount of the fee would go to Sport England and I’ve hear said that the club are happy with the current arrangement since the lease fee goes to CoM Council and is ring fenced for sport and leisure Not sure if that is true
There was FoI asking for details of the lease this is following the renegotiation when the names rights were fixed and the percentage of gate over the Maine Road calculation removed

Never see any reference to an option to buy
A considerable amount of the fee would go to Sport England and I’ve hear said that the club are happy with the current arrangement since the lease fee goes to CoM Council and is ring fenced for sport and leisure Not sure if that is true
There was FoI asking for details of the lease this is following the renegotiation when the names rights were fixed and the percentage of gate over the Maine Road calculation removed

Funnily enough we had this conversation a year ago! I just found it looking for the source of my claim.

City don't own the stadium. City have a 250 year lease on the stadium. City prefer to lease it for £4mill a year.(think that's correct?) City can buy the stadium if they want to buy it. There won't be no new stadium or demolition of parts of the Etihad bar expanding the North Stand. The North Stand will be expanded taking the capacity to 60k+ and that will probably be it. City might do something with the exterior of the stadium, but I don't think that's a priority atm, if at all?

I attended a meeting of the fairly short-lived Westminster Branch of the Supporters' Club back in January 2003 at which David Bernstein spoke for nearly three hours. This was about six weeks before he quit as chairman and six months before we took up occupation of the new stadium, and the prospective move was the biggest topic of the evening.

Bernstein confirmed that the lease contains an option for MCFC to acquire the freehold at an option price that reduces over time because the rent we've already paid can be offset against it. He also suggested that it wouldn't make financial sense for City to exercise the option for at least twenty years, maybe more. In theory, of course, the financial landscape changed completely with the 2008 takeover, and what the club could reasonably afford was transformed but, for reasons that are well known, we haven't elected to exercise the option.

The provisions of the lease aren't in the public domain, but the lease is treated for accounting purposes as a finance lease (i.e. a type of lease which presupposes a change of ownership when the lease terminates). We can probably, therefore, reasonably infer that the buyout figure isn't going to be a million miles from the future liabilities recorded in the accounts as attributable to the lease.

The overall figure for lease liabilities in the 2021 accounts was, IIRC, around £64.3 million. That includes all leases and there's no breakdown, but unless someone can correct me I find it hard to imagine that we have any others under which the future payments are significant in relative terms. So around £64 million as at summer 2021 is your rough ballpark figure.

EDIT - I suppose we should also note that it's possible that the arrangement changed when the lease was amended to provide for increased rent in the event of expansion and for the sale of stadium naming rights.

@deano ou812 This is as much as I know, but I guess the ball park figure is more like 50m.

Funnily enough we had this conversation a year ago! I just found it looking for the source of my claim.

@deano ou812 This is as much as I know, but I guess the ball park figure is more like 50m.
Cheers for that,very interesting so if we wanted to ( sheikh Mansour that is of course) buy the stadium it’s looking at roughly £50 mill,wonder if sometime down the line this could or will happen.

I like it as well. The arena's external appearance has come in for a lot of criticism. The wow factor will definitely be inside the arena.
Yeah a nice building up close, when I was driving out of blue car park, it looked fucking hedious, looked like a bad version of the arndale, must have been the time of day and light reflecting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.