Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Is this a new plan or a previous one?

I believe this is the Grey Mare Lane Regeneration Masterplan published on 2 November 2023, which downloaded as a 94-page PDF for me when I clicked here. The Council's consultation on the above document was due to complete on 22 July 2024. Not sure yet what the outcome is.

I discovered this only last night so I still haven't had chance to read it through yet and am a bit busy at the moment. I'll report back on anything that seems relevant for MCFC given that our stadium is immediately to the north of this area and the our training ground is on the other side of Alan Turing Way to the east.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions I've had for the last week or two about the proposed Holt Town regeneration announced recently and sketched out in the image featured in the post I quote below:

Screenshot-2024-08-19-at-10-41-44.png

First, the National Grid announced back in March that it was putting up for sale three sites around the Etihad Campus as follows:

Two of the plots are former gasholder sites, with the largest spanning 10 acres. The gasholder has been removed and the site has been levelled.

The second largest site is a little over five acres and also features a former gasholder, which is in the process of being removed.

The third site is a one-acre landlocked L-shaped plot close to the Blue car park at the Etihad.

Am I right that the first and third of those plots are covered by the Holt Town regeneration area as shown on the map, while the second, the gasholder qat the top of the North Car Park, is outside that zone?

And second, am I right that the area between Ashton New Road and the Ashton Canal is land, including the former Edwin Road Industrial Estate, that was compulsorily purchased by MCC and was intended to house the proposed Sport and Innovation Zone intended to be operatued in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University?

It's been a long time since those plans fell through but it would be nice to think that in due course, they could maybe find a suitable partner and bring forward new plans along similar lines.

I believe this is the Grey Mare Lane Regeneration Masterplan published on 2 November 2023, which downloaded as a 94-page PDF for me when I clicked here. The Council's consultation on the above document was due to complete on 22 July 2024. Not sure yet what the outcome is.

I discovered this only last night so I still haven't had chance to read it through yet and am a bit busy at the moment. I'll report back on anything that seems relevant for MCFC given that our stadium is immediately to the north of this area and the our training ground is on the other side of Alan Turing Way to the east.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions I've had for the last week or two about the proposed Holt Town regeneration announced recently and sketched out in the image featured in the post I quote below:

First, the National Grid announced back in March that it was putting up for sale three sites around the Etihad Campus as follows:

Am I right that the first and third of those plots are covered by the Holt Town regeneration area as shown on the map, while the second, the gasholder qat the top of the North Car Park, is outside that zone?

And second, am I right that the area between Ashton New Road and the Ashton Canal is land, including the former Edwin Road Industrial Estate, that was compulsorily purchased by MCC and was intended to house the proposed Sport and Innovation Zone intended to be operatued in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University?

It's been a long time since those plans fell through but it would be nice to think that in due course, they could maybe find a suitable partner and bring forward new plans along similar lines.
Great, thanks mate

Great, thanks mate

No problem.

By the way, I was interested in this document because the Council has previously suggested that the Beswich Hub (i.e. the cluster at the bottom of Grey Mare Lane accommodating the sixth-form college, sports injury clinic and leisure centre) could be the home of any replacement sports facilities such as a new athletics stadium if anything on the Campus were demolished to make way for commercial development there.

This no longer seems to be the case. Unless I've missed something on my quick sweep through, these plans focus only on residential use and matters that are supplementary to it.

No problem.

By the way, I was interested in this document because the Council has previously suggested that the Beswich Hub (i.e. the cluster at the bottom of Grey Mare Lane accommodating the sixth-form college, sports injury clinic and leisure centre) could be the home of any replacement sports facilities such as a new athletics stadium if anything on the Campus were demolished to make way for commercial development there.

This no longer seems to be the case. Unless I've missed something on my quick sweep through, these plans focus only on residential use and matters that are supplementary to it.
I can't see them getting rid of the leisure centre, college and sports injury clinic as the cost of those 3 were ten's of millions.

I think two of the parcels of land are “our” side of the railway, one being where the gasometer has just been removed and the other is that L-piece of land which is across the access road and had lots of pipe work in it.

IMG_1294.jpeg

I can't see them getting rid of the leisure centre, college and sports injury clinic as the cost of those 3 were ten's of millions.

IIRC, we funded parts of all those under a couple of different section 106 agreements. No, they weren't planning to get rid of any of them, just to site sports facilities on unbuilt plots where they now plan to put housing instead.

I think two of the parcels of land are “our” side of the railway, one being where the gasometer has just been removed and the other is that L-piece of land which is across the access road and had lots of pipe work in it.

Thanks. That makes sense. So it's just the one gasometer site that's part of the Holt Town Masterplan.

Last edited:

Thanks. That makes sense. So it's just the one gasometer site that's part of the Holt Town Masterplan.
Yes, the west gasometer land is separated by New Viaduct Street from the north car park and has the canal to the south so it makes more sense for it to be included in the Holt Town regeneration. It looks like they're paying some sort of homage to the history of the area. It makes it look promising for the east gasometer and the L shaped piece of land for City.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 203858.png

Edit: damn, that's just north of where the gasometer was.

View attachment 129807

I'm 99% sure City will want both of those plots, the access onto New Viaduct Street under the archway would be absolutely fantastic for getting more cars in and out of the blue car park much quicker.

Yes, the west gasometer land is separated by New Viaduct Street from the north car park and has the canal to the south so it makes more sense for it to be included in the Holt Town regeneration. It looks like they're paying some sort of homage to the history of the area. It makes it look promising for the east gasometer and the L shaped piece of land for City.

View attachment 129960

Edit: damn, that's just north of where the gasometer was.
How are they paying homage to the history ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.