Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Danamy, 12 Jun 2017.

1. Marvin

Marvin

They've done it because there is zero transport budget so the only way to release gridlock in manchester is to improve public transport at the expense of the car. I love what they have done on the Oxford Rd corridor. It suits me, but it's at the expense of cars. They want people to migrate from cars to other modes of transport. It works if you live in Manchester, but it might be short termist because I have noticed a lot less shoppers in Manchester. That maybe down to other effects though i.e. the Internet where stuff comes to you rather you go to town.

2. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

There's a new transport hub mooted for Sandhills at Collyhurst, which is only about 1.5 miles away as the crow flies. This would give quick access to the tram lines going to Bury and Oldham/Rochdale and relieve pressure off trams going through Piccadilly. On the maps it looks like almost a straight walk there if they can build some access steps off the canal, but also there's a lane at the side of the gasometer which is fenced off at the moment at the end. Would be a great place to park up buses to shuttle people there and back. Opening this lane also would mean better exits for supporters instead of straight onto ATW so potentially better traffic flow at the fire station junction.

3. Hoghead

Hoghead

Edited for a more recent infrastructure impact.

4. jrb

jrb

If true, nothing confirmed, as we all know, this and other factors could explain the delay in any concrete news and proposals coming forward for the Etihad Campus, Collar site and East. Anchester.

And to be fair to Mr Sharkey, what ADUG and City want for East Manchester, they normally get. So if they see a 20,000 indoor arena as part of the Masterplan for the area, the city council won't fight that, considering the hundreds of millions ADUG have invested in East Manchester.

Personally I think Mr Sharkey is looking after his companies own interests in the MEN Arena. Because I think Manchester can sustain to 20,000 indoor arenas. There are enough acts in the World to keep both arenas going every year. You just have to look at the acts that play the Etihad, and both Old Trafford grounds.

MUEN.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/one-venues-going-fail-manchester-16414492

Lasted edited by : 12 Jun 2019
  5. The Blue

The Blue

Sounds like he's being a bit short sighted too. Manchester is a growing city and demand will increase over the next few years. There's no reason we can't have two indoor arenas as well as the stadiums as you pointed out. ADUG and Manchester Council won't want to stand still in the development of the city and the surrounding areas.

6. Keeper!

Keeper!

Not short sighted, just greedy.

More than enough demand and acts to support 2 Arenas, and competition is very healthy.

7. Fat Chance

Fat Chance

8. Alanm1980

Alanm1980

Electrification on the Bolton to Preston line has finally finished so the last service to Horwich Parkway from Man Picc is now 11.30pm.

9. ManCityX

ManCityX

10. Gingers Dad

Gingers Dad

Why is it always sunny on an architects impression? After all it's Manchester. Should be cloudy with people struggling through sideways rain and a spice head or two lying around to make it more realistic

The Fat el Hombre and bellbuzzer like this.