Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

We're building it, we're paying for it.

The money coming back will be ours (I'm sure the council will get their piece)

I have been told possibly a few NBA games coming to Manchester in years to come.

It's a licence to print money. Should be some good title parties to come there.

The Arena only makes £6m a year as of 2018. I don't think an Eastlands arena will be quite the jackpot you're portraying it as.

The Arena only makes £6m a year as of 2018. I don't think an Eastlands arena will be quite the jackpot you're portraying it as.

Similar to the cost of the CFA and the NS expansion, it will take decades before Sheikh Mansour recoups his money back on both. But like the proposed arena, if ADUG are fully or partly bankrolling the arena, it is a statement of intent. The arena will also act as a further catalyst to the wider Etihad Campus development . The long-term plan is to make the Etihad Campus a 24/7, Living, working, and leisure, 356 day’s a year, destination.

Not sure where that £300 million pound quote is coming from...but that's a pretty big sum for an arena (pretty big sum for any building - the new Factory Theatre comes in at just over £100 million). This will be some show piece if comes together as quoted here.

It’s not 100% clear or specific, but the figure seems to be coming from Sharkey in the PNW article.

Rightly or wrongly, Sharkey seems adamant the East Manchester arena is already a done deal. As the executive vice-president of SMG Europe, he would probably know via sources.

PNW.

Sharkey argued that despite the council’s insistence to the contrary, “the Eastlands arena is already a done deal”, with an operator lined up and an architect employed to work up designs for a £300m building.

We’ll probably have City branded sports teams playing there in a few years similar to the Barca set up.

They’ll likely be new food and drink outlets around the stadium/arena for people to go to before and after events as part of the campus development.

Those will be almost guaranteed to fail then
Straight away you're halving the potential audience
Would you even consider watching a united branded basketball team?

We're building it, we're paying for it.

The money coming back will be ours (I'm sure the council will get their piece)

I have been told possibly a few NBA games coming to Manchester in years to come.

It's a licence to print money. Should be some good title parties to come there.
The venue would be owned by ADUG related business, or are you talking in general terms of the campus eventually creating a commercial return?

I think the University effect could be very significant on the area. That will pull in student accommodation, and leisure industry. A uni campus will add jobs as well and, no doubt provide another boost to local housing (owned and rental). I wonder if this student campus is definitely going ahead, or whether it's waiting on some final decision. I believe the MMU crewe sports campus this Summer, but not heard anything concrete about construction work near the Etihad. There was talk of plans, but it seems to have died down.

It’s not 100% clear or specific, but the figure seems to be coming from Sharkey in the PNW article.

Rightly or wrongly, Sharkey seems adamant the East Manchester arena is already a done deal. As the executive vice-president of SMG Europe, he would probably know via sources.

PNW.

Sharkey argued that despite the council’s insistence to the contrary, “the Eastlands arena is already a done deal”, with an operator lined up and an architect employed to work up designs for a £300m building.

Hence the moaning and groaning - a well designed, high quality new arena with top notch acoustics will have the MEN on the back foot pretty damn quickly. It probably won’t be an even split - the new Eastlands arena will be the premium offering that will take the premium acts and events. The MEN was good in its day but there’s a new standard of indoor arenas being built and the MEN will struggle to compete on many fronts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.